Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan...

Range Rover....

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Daggerty said:

What mods are in store?

Probably nothing much honestly, going to put aside time/money for maintenance that I'm sure is coming..

I wanted black wheels, so I may paint these, undecided yet.. But, for sure I'll be going up to 275/45/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires (stock sized 275/40/20 Yokos on it now), and a muffler delete so I can actually hear something.. 

3 hours ago, Daggerty said:

I have some Mobil one jet oil left over if you want to change your s/c oil

I do need to change that..

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

that is a gorgeous vehicle!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Bets on what will break first?? Haha congrats man. Maybe I’ll have a better chance of spotting you around town again.

I'm just waiting for the CEL to pop on lol

 The BRAKE light was flashing earlier when I started it, turned the vehicle off, turned back on and the light was gone....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Probably nothing much honestly, going to put aside time/money for maintenance that I'm sure is coming..

I wanted black wheels, so I may paint these, undecided yet.. But, for sure I'll be going up to 275/45/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires (stock sized 275/40/20 Yokos on it now), and a muffler delete so I can actually hear something.

Have you had Zeon's before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have you had Zeon's before?
I have not, I've run other Cooper's before, and the Zeon seem to have a pretty decent reviews on the Rover forums from what I've seen so far.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be too many options 4 all-terrain tires in the 275 45 20 size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

I have not, I've run other Cooper's before, and the Zeon seem to have a pretty decent reviews on the Rover forums from what I've seen so far.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be too many options 4 all-terrain tires in the 275 45 20 size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not a big fan.  They're an OK tire but i'm not sure they even make it anymore.  Outside of that weird ass size you need an XL load rating for the vehicle and it does call for a fairly high speed rating at a Y.  Pirelli has a new All Terrain but not in your size.  The smallest aspect ratio they have right now is 275/55r20.  The speed rating is what's going to kill your search for an All-Terrain since a lot of those will be S or T rated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm not a big fan.  They're an OK tire but i'm not sure they even make it anymore.  Outside of that weird ass size you need an XL load rating for the vehicle and it does call for a fairly high speed rating at a Y.  Pirelli has a new All Terrain but not in your size.  The smallest aspect ratio they have right now is 275/55r20.  The speed rating is what's going to kill your search for an All-Terrain since a lot of those will be S or T rated.

Yeah it's really the only one they make in my size unfortunately. Kind of screwed because the OEM 275/40/20 has no options in anything, the OEM 19 sizes are even worse, and I don't think I can actually run a 275/55/20 without scraping/rubbing issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Yeah it's really the only one they make in my size unfortunately. Kind of screwed because the OEM 275/40/20 has no options in anything, the OEM 19 sizes are even worse, and I don't think I can actually run a 275/55/20 without scraping/rubbing issues.

Yea I think you're gonna be out of luck for an all terrain.  I'd find a decent all season and call it good.  I'm a fan of Pirelli for luxury SUV's.  We have Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus on my wife's XC90 and it's a beast in the snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Yea I think you're gonna be out of luck for an all terrain.  I'd find a decent all season and call it good.  I'm a fan of Pirelli for luxury SUV's.  We have Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus on my wife's XC90 and it's a beast in the snow.

Looks like some people have luck cramming in a 285/50/20, but they typically have 1/8" of room between the tire and the front struts... 

My two all terrain options are basically the Zeon and Atturo Trail Blades in 275/45/20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you plan on driving your car over 100mph. I've gone 100+ on Q rated general arctic tires but that's just confirming how great they are.

Im in the Waukesha area. Just shoot me a pm if you want that oil. I also go to Appleton and Madison once a month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daggerty said:

Do you plan on driving your car over 100mph. I've gone 100+ on Q rated general arctic tires but that's just confirming how great they are.

Im in the Waukesha area. Just shoot me a pm if you want that oil. I also go to Appleton and Madison once a month

Shoot! I actually had the guys at my shop pick some supercharger oil up for me, I completely forgot about that..

As for 100mph, not really, I've had it up to 90 a couple times but I don't see why I'd need to exceed 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryan... said:

Shoot! I actually had the guys at my shop pick some supercharger oil up for me, I completely forgot about that..

As for 100mph, not really, I've had it up to 90 a couple times but I don't see why I'd need to exceed 100.

No big deal it's not expensive I just have it sitting around, it's a cool can anyway.

if you don't have a tire with the right speed rating just keep that I mind, your car doesn't know if you have a different speed rated tire on it.

IMG_1887.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Do you plan on driving your car over 100mph. I've gone 100+ on Q rated general arctic tires but that's just confirming how great they are.

Im in the Waukesha area. Just shoot me a pm if you want that oil. I also go to Appleton and Madison once a month

Speed rating has a lot less to do with actual speed and more to do with aiding in handling.  Dropping down to a T or S from a Y recommendation is going to drastically effect the handling on the vehicle.  It's also got alot to do with a the tires ability to handle heat.  Heat is a tires enemy.  As a tire spins faster it builds more heat.  One of the many factors to determine a tires speed rating is it's ability to handle heat.  By dramatically dropping down speed ratings you are asking for a tire failure especially if you are exceeding their limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to open up the taps on the Rover yesterday, I had #7 removed:

26922091087_e4997410d7_z.jpg



Here are my impressions before the videos:
I absolutely love it. It has a nice aggressive growl on acceleration, barely perceptible at 40mph, can't hear it at highway speeds unless you hammer on the throttle. No drone anywhere, just a nice aggressive, deep tone while accelerating. If you listen to your radio or talk with your passengers you won't even hear it cruising around at 25mph. It's quiet enough that my girlfriend didn't notice it until we opened the windows and I intentionally floored it (for perspective, she HATED my 2016 F150 with an MBRP exhaust).


Now for the videos!

Idle and revs with a warm engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0cI3X-sK4o



Accelerating from 0-30 with front windows open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bplbp8MYjPw



Accelerating from 0-30 with all windows closed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2AyGnMI8I



Accelerating from 0-55:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VJi811c3JU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2018 at 8:38 PM, YoungCR said:

Bets on what will break first?? Haha congrats man. Maybe I’ll have a better chance of spotting you around town again.

First real "issue" popped up today. Driving through a monsoon and I saw a drop of water fall from my headliner today.. no bueno! I knew the sunroof drain lines are a constant source of agony in these so that's where I started, and wouldn't you know it my passenger side line was plugged up...

 

41998839692_802f8636b3_c.jpg

41322802924_189f295fe4_c.jpg

 

So I checked the bottom of the drain line that's hidden in the passenger side fender vent, had a couple small drips of water coming out but I could see a bunch of crap gunked up in there..

 

41142707825_83741b2d9b_c.jpg

 

Managed to clear it out with nearly steaming hot water and bleach mixture:

Cleaned out about 5 glasses worth of this crud.
41998839902_b664ed6120_c.jpg

 

 

 

Anyway, it's all back together, a minor hiccup that I'm glad I caught before the massive amount of wires and modules in the passenger floor well got soaked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty funny you say that because I've seen you make a few posts on range Rover forums 😂😂

 

Tapatalk is werid and shoots me notifications I click on them and its you posting in a range Rover forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 6:54 AM, Rekpoint said:

It's pretty funny you say that because I've seen you make a few posts on range Rover forums 😂😂

 

Tapatalk is werid and shoots me notifications I click on them and its you posting in a range Rover forums.

Which forum? They're all so terrible... One of the mods on RangeRover.net has started taking down posts of mine that aren't 100% "relevant" to the original topic. AKA a thread about sunroof issues which was last posted in on April 28th 2018, I asked if anyone else had found a solution, and he sent me a PM telling me to start a new thread and "stop bumping everything because you don't want to take the time to start a new thread.

 

Other things I've done with the RR:
Changed all the fluids in the vehicle, except the Dynamic Stability fluid which I'll be doing this week, and changed out the rear driveshaft because the center support bearing had play in it.

For the rear driveshaft, felt the play in it, called the LR dealer and they wanted $790 for the part lol Punched in the part numbers into The Google, immediately found one for $440. Did some more research, found one with center support bearing for $278. Signed up for their emails, found an online coupon, and got it for $215 shipped! Car-X installed for $100 which was completely worth it to me. The DIY write-ups on the forums said 3-4 hours if you don't have a lift, need all sorts of goofy tools to reach the top bolts on the ds, etc..

 

Anywho, other than the water thing which appears to be resolved we're back to smooth sailing :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, Earl said:

That seems to be the exact opposite of how BMW forums operate lol

That's what I told the fool lol

I think he saw low post count and me bumping 4 threads started in 2018 and got all pissy. I let him know that I have something like 50k posts over nearly a decade of forum browsing under my belt, and to quote the great Kimi Raikonen "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×