WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Range Rover....

Ryan...

After much thought and deliberation, I'm likely going to be trading off my F150 to clear existing debt in anticipation of purchasing a house in early 2019. After many hours spent talking with my more financially-savvy and realistic girlfriend, she's told me that if I'm going to get rid of the truck I at least buy something I've always wanted; a Range Rover. 

Now I've got my eyes on a 2007 Range Rover Supercharged, silver, 109k, very clean, for under $13k. It has all the bells and whistles :)

Now, I know Range Rovers are not without fault, so I'm not expecting to hear that from anyone. However, I would like to hear opinions on them. Have you ever owned one? Worked on one? Know people that have them and do they love them or hate them? The Range Rover forums are absolutely terrible..

Having had to work on them in the past, I'd steer clear. Not exactly a good way to save money, parts are insanely expensive. Every single one that comes through my shop always needs a bunch of stuff. I have a friend that is a Land Rover tech and he wouldn't even drive one(even though he has the opportunity to buy them stupid cheap very frequently. Not to mention, one of the worst depreciating vehicles of all time.

3 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

If you haven't watched this I definitely recommend you to. 

I do recommend getting a warranty if you are buying from a dealer.

I have seen that lol

The dealer I'm looking at doesn't offer a warranty other than their 30 day warranty. Dealer has great reviews, so at least on that end I feel pretty good.

3 hours ago, YoungCR said:

They are cool but I’d rather own a old school discovery. What year did the digital clusters start? I wasn’t a fan of that but they are fast and comfy!

I also like the old Discovery, but for some reason I keep being drawn to that 06-09 Range Rover and can't stop..

2 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Having had to work on them in the past, I'd steer clear. Not exactly a good way to save money, parts are insanely expensive. Every single one that comes through my shop always needs a bunch of stuff. I have a friend that is a Land Rover tech and he wouldn't even drive one(even though he has the opportunity to buy them stupid cheap very frequently. Not to mention, one of the worst depreciating vehicles of all time.

It's not so much about saving money on a daily basis, rather clearing a large chunk of debt off the books immediately.

I'm digging around on the Rover forums (have I mentioned how terrible they are?) and I'm seeing a lot of the things I expected: cluster pixel issues, air suspension faults, random lights for seemingly no reason, etc.. There's a big Rover guy on BFC that swears by them, does a lot of his own work, and has been messaging me about his experiences (good and bad).
At $13k I think, if cared for, the value will hold relatively steady for at least a little bit. I'll be rolling over about $3-4k towards it from my trade in, so I need to decide if my "dream" of owning a RR is worth the $10k gamble lol

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

They're great to drive, look awesome and handle snow like a beast.  I'd never own one outside of warranty.  I've worked on too many with too many problems that cost 4 figures to fix.

Is it typically the parts that are adding up to that, or is labor just that much of a bitch on them? I've looked up the cost of suspension bits and other misc stuff, and it does seem pricey but not far off from what I was expecting it to be.

2 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Just a little inside information, a dealer can buy that vehicle wholesale any day for $8k (if it's super nice) or less, usually less. 

That is good to know, a bargaining chip if I make it that far lol

I should have axed, are there any other 4x4 vehicles in the $8-15k price point that you recommend? I do want something nice, 4 doors, cargo space is nice, not necessarily looking for another truck.

I've looked a little bit at the X5 (I even glanced in the direction of an X6), old 4Runners, Wranglers (dislike just about every other modern Jeep), Porsche Cayenne, etc...

9 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Is it typically the parts that are adding up to that, or is labor just that much of a bitch on them? I've looked up the cost of suspension bits and other misc stuff, and it does seem pricey but not far off from what I was expecting it to be.

It's parts.  The air suspension is very expensive on them and seem to be a common failure.  Brakes can be slightly more expensive than a BMW if you buy quality parts.  They're not really hard to work on.

9 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I should have axed, are there any other 4x4 vehicles in the $8-15k price point that you recommend? I do want something nice, 4 doors, cargo space is nice, not necessarily looking for another truck.

I've looked a little bit at the X5 (I even glanced in the direction of an X6), old 4Runners, Wranglers (dislike just about every other modern Jeep), Porsche Cayenne, etc...

Volvo XC90!  We've had ours for a few years now and love it!  The thing is an absolute beast in the snow and has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in!  Also, it's been very reliable for us.  We've put on almost 30k and i've only done tires, brakes and oil changes.  We have the 3.2 and it's not going to win any races any time soon but i'll take the comfort and reliability trade off.

3 hours ago, snap said:

I really like the Lexus GX470 and any Land Cruiser seems to hold its value like crazy

Thing is, I'm sure they're great vehicles and significantly more reliable than the Rover, but for the same price as the rover they all have 20-50k more miles lol
Plus, aesthetically speaking, they do nothing for me.

*except the old Land Cruisers, those are sweet.

33 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Land Cruiser FTW.  Mine is ancient and still works great ;)   An FJ60 would be a horrible daily driver though.  It's like a covered wagon with a tractor engine.

Yeah I definitely want something newer with creature comforts as I drive 20-25k a year, most of it at 60-70mph.

14 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

It's parts.  The air suspension is very expensive on them and seem to be a common failure.  Brakes can be slightly more expensive than a BMW if you buy quality parts.  They're not really hard to work on.

Volvo XC90!  We've had ours for a few years now and love it!  The thing is an absolute beast in the snow and has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in!  Also, it's been very reliable for us.  We've put on almost 30k and i've only done tires, brakes and oil changes.  We have the 3.2 and it's not going to win any races any time soon but i'll take the comfort and reliability trade off.

Yeah the suspension has been about 95% of the most problematic areas. It's nice know there are cheap-ish coilover kits to completely eliminate the issue if it comes to that :)
I did look at a 2012 XC90, same price as the Range Rover, but had 44k more miles on it :o

*here it is:  https://rockford.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2012-volvo-xc90-32-premier/6545282185.html

Kind of the same boat as the GX470, the exterior/interior really doesn't do anything for me. It's not bad looking, but I don't see anything exciting about it that would make it easier to part with my F150 :/

4 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Sounds like you've already made up your mind but your using us to test your ability to defend your choice.  Fuck financially sound decisions.  Follow your dreams and hope for the best!

I'm trying to be reasonable lol  It doesn't help that my girlfriend is whispering into my ear that she thinks I should drive down to IL to get one RIGHT NOW :D

I'm still looking, but I did talk to the dealer with this guy:  https://www.saintcharlesmotorcars.com/2007_Land Rover_Range Rover_Saint Charles_IL_17749004.veh#    and they're putting together some numbers for me right now. I do intend to go drive a bunch of 4x4 vehicles when I'm down there.

I did see an Audi Q7 that looked OK, but it kind of falls into the "meh" category when stacked up against the Rover. Plus, it's an Audi, so I can't do that..

It's certainly a good looking vehicle and supercharged!

I think a mistake a lot of people make in most areas of life is assuming we are smarter than everyone else.  Recognizing this and asking why a trend exists is important.  So the question you should ask yourself in this instance is why are other similar vehicles that people may also cross shop are more expensive with more miles on them.  It's probably not because you found some underserved used car market where people have just passed over the Range Rover by mistake and it's secretly a great buy with great reliability and will hold its value as the miles rack up.  That's not a knock against you at all, just trying to expand some perspective.

Fuck it though, if it's what you want then you won't complain about the problems but if you settle then the smallest issues may throw you over the edge.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

It's certainly a good looking vehicle and supercharged!

I think a mistake a lot of people make in most areas of life is assuming we are smarter than everyone else.  Recognizing this and asking why a trend exists is important.  So the question you should ask yourself in this instance is why are other similar vehicles that people may also cross shop are more expensive with more miles on them.  It's probably not because you found some underserved used car market where people have just passed over the Range Rover by mistake and it's secretly a great buy with great reliability and will hold its value as the miles rack up.  That's not a knock against you at all, just trying to expand some perspective.

Fuck it though, if it's what you want then you won't complain about the problems but if you settle then the smallest issues may throw you over the edge.

I appreciate the time you're taking to respond and, the honesty!

I think I've read enough about them at this point that if I'm not sufficiently scared away, I'm going to quite literally say "Fuck It" to pull the trigger. It bit me in the ass with the 996, and this probably will  too :D

I put a $500 refundable deposit down on the one linked above. I'm going to go drive it tomorrow morning after work, inspect it, and make my decision then. A lot of it will come down to how they want to play with the numbers. They know what I want for the truck, so if they try any funny business I'm walking.

https://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-mercedes-benz-ml63-amg/6557833244.html who needs a supercharger? 

my cousin owns a Range Rover very similar to year and mileage above. He does everything himself. Hasn't really had major issues, or crazy costs.

the Range Rover falls into the category of "well that's really expensive too fix" and yeah it a good 4x4 but someone would rather have a good old American jeep for the price. There is an enthusiast group but not large enough to create a price premium, like a bmw. 

I agree with certain parts will have a high price. 

2 hours ago, Daggerty said:

https://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-mercedes-benz-ml63-amg/6557833244.html who needs a supercharger? 

my cousin owns a Range Rover very similar to year and mileage above. He does everything himself. Hasn't really had major issues, or crazy costs.

the Range Rover falls into the category of "well that's really expensive too fix" and yeah it a good 4x4 but someone would rather have a good old American jeep for the price. There is an enthusiast group but not large enough to create a price premium, like a bmw. 

I agree with certain parts will have a high price. 

^^That's the Mercedes I mentioned above. If it didn't look so much like a minivan hybrid I'd be all about it :)

Eventually I'll find my way back into a clean Jeep Cherokee XJ, small lift, some nice 33's, etc... Now's the time for mistakes that'll make memories that haunt for a lifetime!

I ended up not buying the silver 07 linked above. I drove 2 hours to go look at it, they decided not to honor the price they said they would pay me for my trade in (over $2k less), then I found that the steering rack was leaking fluid at an alarming rate.

Other than the fluid leak, it felt phenomenal. If they were to fix that issue and come back with a more appropriate trade in price or adjust the asking price of the Range Rover I wouldn't hesitate to buy it tomorrow. 

Oh well.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

So it goes.  Something I learned while looking for my M3, negotiate via email.  That gives you a written record of the conversations.  Not that they're obligated to honor it but it gives you leverage.

That's a damn good point. Going forward I'll be getting that as well, because I spent the vast majority of my day in IL, and now I'm heading into work with 3.25hrs of crappy sleep...