WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Madison - 1988 E30 325i Convertible - Thread

vbhargava

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Needed a jump start but Coco started right up for the first time since November.  Had a few hours to make some small changes:

• coco mats - black and grey
  • collector license plates (need to license plate delete the front)
  • new bulb in the rear bumper
  • realigned the m-tech 1 steering wheel 1 notch. 
  • injector cleaner

Summer plans

• raise coilovers 1 inch
  • euro grill and chrome kidneys
  • replace convertible top latch
  • license plate delete up front
  • replace coolant reservoir
  • maybe:
    • 19lbs injectors and Mark D chip
    • feupholster seats
    • find a replacement front drivers fender

image.png

15 hours ago, vbhargava said:

I would personally opt for the 93 octane tune and this set here

http://maksinjection.com/?product=bosch-0280-155-746-19-injectors-set-of-6

At most you may need to dremel new injector retainer slots in the upper portion of the body. I only had to do this once on as set of 33# injectors which had the clip location slightly different than stock. Many sets I have used did not need any modification.
Not required but good practice would be to do a smoke test to check for any intake leaks and make sure your oxygen sensor is healthy. 

9 hours ago, B C said:

I would personally opt for the 93 octane tune and this set here

http://maksinjection.com/?product=bosch-0280-155-746-19-injectors-set-of-6

At most you may need to dremel new injector retainer slots in the upper portion of the body. I only had to do this once on as set of 33# injectors which had the clip location slightly different than stock. Many sets I have used did not need any modification.
Not required but good practice would be to do a smoke test to check for any intake leaks and make sure your oxygen sensor is healthy. 

Thanks for the advice. Just ordered the injectors. 

Are any of the cheap Mark D rip offs worth it?

I dont personally trust them. They may just be copies of stock chips, they could have checksum errors in the coding, its a mixed bag. The real thing is cheap enough and easy to sell if you ever need to. I wouldnt be surprised if a fair amount of "tunes" that exist are just stock tunes with an increased redline. At least with the MarkD chip you know the timing advance is more aggressive which is where all the power is made. 

On 3/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, B C said:

I dont personally trust them. They may just be copies of stock chips, they could have checksum errors in the coding, its a mixed bag. The real thing is cheap enough and easy to sell if you ever need to. I wouldnt be surprised if a fair amount of "tunes" that exist are just stock tunes with an increased redline. At least with the MarkD chip you know the timing advance is more aggressive which is where all the power is made. 

Appreciate the advice. Ordered the chip and injectors. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Coco Mats are on my list as a final touch when I have the car back together. How do you like them? I assume there's nothing not to like about them. 

They are much better then stock (I hate the stock ones since they get stuck in the pedals) but to be honest for their price point I would expect better floormat templates for the rear seats. Overall I really appreciate the look and would probably still purchase again. 

33 minutes ago, vbhargava said:

They are much better then stock (I hate the stock ones since they get stuck in the pedals) but to be honest for their price point I would expect better floormat templates for the rear seats. Overall I really appreciate the look and would probably still purchase again. 

That's good to know. Unfortunate about the rear, but since those aren't super visible, that doesn't sound like it would be a deal breaker. I plan on doing black with red accents for the cardinal interior.