WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Madison - 1988 E30 325i Convertible - Thread

vbhargava

1 hour ago, vbhargava said:

@B C  Unfortunately looks like Maks Injection went out of business ... right after I placed an order. Time to find an alternative. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401851488594

Now, be wary that fake Bosch injectors exist on Ebay and elsewhere. Normally they are the larger flow injectors that people use in turbo builds but I wouldnt be surprised if China has tackled all popular sizes by now. Performance wise they work fine compared to the real thing, but around 80%+ duty cycle they become erratic in the tests I have seen.

Fake Bosch injectors have Bosch logos and come in Bosch branded boxes even claiming they are made in Germany. For this reason I am wary of lower priced new injectors and feel better buying ~$75 reman. injectors.

be advised

• 4 weeks later...

@B C I had a mechanic friend install the injectors and chip today and we cant get the thing to start up. Any chance you have 15 min to chat tomorrow?

Tune: http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm

Injectors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-OEM-Genuine-Rebuilt-Bosch-for-1987-1998-Jeep-4-0L-0280155710-/254466524692 . They seem to fit fine and have no leaks. 

same part number as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-E34-E36-M20-M30-M50-19lb-injector-upgrade-Genuine-Bosch-/292975028671

Sure thing, check your PM for my phone number.

my checklist in some kind of order of easiest to hardest:

-press down on fuel injector electrical “rail” to make sure all connections are secure. If any preload exists in the plastic “rail” it may not snap down on all injectors or may pop up

- if the round injector harness connector under the manifold was disconnected (centered below the throttle body near the block) check that it was re-connected

- usually the pcv hose that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover needs to be removed to pull the fuel rail, ensure that is secured and not cracked/leaking

- if the intake boot was removed to gain access to the injector harness plug, ensure the intake boot is on and the throttle position sensor connector on the underside of the throttle body is connected.

- disconnect the positive terminal on the battery and touch it to ground to drain the capacitors, then reconnect to reset the ecu  to allow new fuel trims to be established with the new injectors

-pull the fuel pump fuse/relay (either or). Listen for the injectors to fire by feel/sound to ensure they are all firing

-if fuel hoses were removed for removal of fuel rail, remove hoses and verify feed and return lines were not switched

-check to ensure the chip was installed i  the correct orientation. If instructions came with the chip it would likely emphasize the correct chip orientation. The EPROM and socket have a corresponding notch on one end that are supposed to match up.

if its installed backwards, bad news, the chip is toast.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad1973b5adbf737921b93b07835d61b5.jpeg

I will go down this list tomorrow, a few of the checklist items that I've crossed off:

Electrical connectors are all secure and in order, according to wiring diagram.

Round Injector harness plug was never disconnected.

PCV hose secure to valve cover(non-original, generic hose, with very slight kink underneath manifold).

No intake boot removal.

Fuel hoses were removed- return hose is about 14" longer than hose to regulator(can't mess that up)

I installed chip according to specifications, however, I tried to start the car prior to chip install with no luck.  I figured, let me see if this idles, then install chip.

I checked wiring diagram before installing chip in ecu.

I will check the fuse and relay first thing in the morning, and disconnect the the positive terminal(only had negative disconnected due to very corroded 8mm @ positive terminal).  I didn't want to disconnect the positive terminal and have to replace that.

I will also remove ECM for verification, but again, issue was before ECM removal.

Thanks so much for the help, B C.  I am an Audi tech from BMW, Volvo and Porsche beginnings.  Glad to be here.  I may have one or two posts, from the before-time.  I am confident to get this car optimal, as I drove it in from Varun's place this morning, with no major issues (albeit a slightly lumpy idle).  It does need plugs, which I'll be sourcing from local auto parts stores(Bosch, or NGK, according to forum), and will update with results likely around noon.  I want to swap back in the stock injectors, and witness it fire up, after the other tests.

Jamison

to note: i bought injectors from ebay and received a set with multiple DOA injectors. 

also to note: if the car ran before you worked on it, than didnt run after, SOMETHING YOU DID changed the running state, so dont bother looking elsewhere. there are coincidences, but very very rarely. 

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

How’s the Red 46 skid plate treating you? I’ve looked into, would be nice for piece of mind, but the M20 oil pan isn’t nearly in the way as an M50 swapped car is.

Its been great. My car is lowered and I've definitely hit it a couple of times. I really like it because it works with the lower bracing I have in place. 

14 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

to note: i bought injectors from ebay and received a set with multiple DOA injectors. 

also to note: if the car ran before you worked on it, than didnt run after, SOMETHING YOU DID changed the running state, so dont bother looking elsewhere. there are coincidences, but very very rarely. 

So, I double checked that I had the ECU chip in correctly. That was good.  I went ahead and swapped back stock injectors and it fired right up.  I left my volt meter at work along with electrical test tools, but I am positive something is wrong with these injectors.  They definitely look like the Bosch injectors and have the same PN as the popular 19lb injectors for E30s, 0 280 155 710.  Also have a Ford logo on them.

She runs now, I have a few more little things to wrap up in this car and Varun told me I could take it on a short drive, I'll be begrudgingly giving it back to him today, as this is such a beautiful vehicle and drives so nicely.  Thanks again to B C for the checklist, as I triple checked my work, as any decent technician is going to think "what did I do wrong, what did I do that could cause this", a bad technician will blame the parts immediately.

Jamison

PS HEY PATRICK LONG TIME NO SEE20200501_110648.jpg

I am using similar injectors in my M50.  Mine also have Bosch and Ford logos because they were OE on a Ford Contour SVT with a 2.5 V6.  They were the closest to matching flow to stock M50 injectors while having a better spray pattern.  Good news is they are likely not Chinese clones, but they are used and must have a problem.  I don't recall how the fuel rail setup on an M20 is but on an M50 I needed to machine spacer rings or there is a possibility that they could drop into the intake manifold far enough that the top comes out of the fuel rail.  Pics here.  Maybe yours have enough material on the top for the retaining clips?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. 

Returned the injectors that didnt seem to work and bought a similar set from Bimmer Baron. Car fired right up after installing the new injectors on both the stock and tuned ECU. According to @jcw0101 there is a noticeable difference in power delivery and I cant wait to take it for a spin this weekend. 

Thanks for everyone who helped troubleshoot and provided advice. @B C, @straight6pwr, @jcw0101

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to drive and take care of some minor maintenance items.

Tune: Wow, its freaking amazing. I wish I had done this 2.5 years ago when I bought the car. The tune/injector combination provide increased power throughout the rev range but especially below 4K. Its better everywhere without adding any harshness or reducing daily drivability.  (cant say the same for the M5 tune)

Battery replaced: Finally I dont have to jump the car every time!

Coolant Reservoir: 32 years is old enough for that plastic.

IMG_9094.jpeg

image.png

image.png

image.png

What was the tune/injector combo you went with on this?

*Saw the BimmerBaron eBay link for the injectors, was any modification needed to fit those injectors? 

What was the chip you ended up going with? Still this one you had linked previously?

I'd like to something of this nature that is relatively cost effective and easy to install for some better throttle response and feel.

16 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

What was the tune/injector combo you went with on this?

*Saw the BimmerBaron eBay link for the injectors, was any modification needed to fit those injectors? 

What was the chip you ended up going with? Still this one you had linked previously?

I'd like to something of this nature that is relatively cost effective and easy to install for some better throttle response and feel.

Injectors: https://www.ebay.com/str/bimmerbaron - 19lb for M20. 

Tune: http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm . I would contact BimmerBaron regarding the tune since he sells or can direct you to a low cost tune. I dont know which tune it copies though. 

Installation: Dont need any other parts assuming you already have the 173 ECU which I believe is a requirement for the tune. I didn't do the actual install but @jcw0101 essentially used this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKpRvIwXzT8. Pulled the valve covers instead of the intake off. Overall its pretty simple assuming you have the right parts.