WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

I had to fix my first thing on the M3 tonight!  I was leaving one of my shops and noticed some liquid under the car so I stuff my finger in it and smelled it hoping it was condensation from the AC I don't use.  No such luck, it was coolant.  I popped the hood and it appeared to be coming from the bleeder screw so I grabbed a flat head to tighten it and *snap* it came right off!  I grabbed an EZ out and extracted the rest of the plastic screw then shoved another bolt in it so I could get home.  I found a dorman part at Autozone so I picked it up for $5 and turns out I had 2 in the box.  Score!  Bonus parts!  I got home and threw the first screw in, *snap*!  I broke the first one.  Extracted it, put the 2nd one in VERY gingerly and filled it back up with coolant.  It was only down about half a quart.  I let it run for about 15 minutes and no leaking.  After some looking it appears to be a common problem so it looks like an aluminum screw is the next upgrade.

As a side note, the whole time I kept hearing Earls voice in my head mocking me about how I said the cooling system on the N54 and newer are rock solid and how i've trumpeted the reliability of the S65... then a $5 part in the cooling system breaks.  Damn you @Earl!

• 2 weeks later...

I did the first oil change on her this weekend after 5k miles with Liquimoly 10w60 GT1 oil.  The oil was changed right before I picked it up and came out very clean!  I swapped out the plastic coolant bleeder screw with the aluminum one from ECS.  I also gave her a deep clean about a week ago and went as far as removing the wheels, scrubbing them and waxing them to help make cleaning easier in the future. 

Life's been busy lately trying to sell our house and buy another house but it looks like we will be moving at the end of June to North Prairie.  We found a nice house on 1.3 acres.  The most important part is... it has a 2 car garage and a detached 2.5 car garage!  I still enjoy every minute in this car!  Every time I take someone for a ride or let them drive it it just puts smiles on everyone!  I love it!

20180518_171411.jpg20180520_154855.jpg20180524_191115 (1).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First track day with the M3 tomorrow at BHF!  I'll have a video up hopefully some time tomorrow of the event.  In the meantime I have some spark plugs that i'll be throwing in tonight and I bought the Ziza master LED set for $30 from ECS so i'll be installing those at some point here.

I've always wanted to drive a car with flappy paddles on track. Theres something to be said about the satisfaction of a well executed heel-toe downshift in a manual car but I will never practice that enough to get it down perfectly and would gladly allow a car to do that for me so I could focus more on braking and lines. 

I hope the DCT paddles are setup better than the 335i ZF paddles. I personally would rather have right-hand upshift, lefthand downshift than the  thumb downshift fingers upshift.

Are they the same?

35 minutes ago, snap said:

I've always wanted to drive a car with flappy paddles on track. Theres something to be said about the satisfaction of a well executed heel-toe downshift in a manual car but I will never practice that enough to get it down perfectly and would gladly allow a car to do that for me so I could focus more on braking and lines. 

I hope the DCT paddles are setup better than the 335i ZF paddles. I personally would rather have right-hand upshift, lefthand downshift than the  thumb downshift fingers upshift.

Are they the same?

Driving the 6spd was satisfying but I'm excited to give this a try!  I'll never say i'm an amazing heel/toe driver but I think I was efficient to the point where I didn't really think about it anymore unless I fucked one up.  The paddles are L/- and R/+ so they are different.  After driving the f10 550i for 9 days and attempting to use those paddles the DCT paddles feel fantastic lol.  

My biggest issue with the heel-toe at BFR is that I had to get on the brake harder and deeper than on a city street (in before someone pretends they dont hoon on the streets) and my car being an automatic originally, the pedal clevis was adjusted a little differently and the pedals didnt match up well when on the brakes that hard. I have since adjusted this for mitchell to benefit from.  

SO GLAD the left and right paddles are like that!  I drive the FIL's 335i infrequent enough to where I forget the paddle function, screw it up, and its better for me to leave them alone. 

Hope its a great day man, we know video doesnt do a car justice but it will be fun to watch and listen to

I had my first track day in the car today at Blackhawk Farms Raceway and ran in the intermediate group.  This is my 4th track day in 3 years and it's amazing how quickly you get to know people by attending these things semi regularly.  It's great being able to run with some of the same people year after year and developing a trust on the track. 

Ok now that that's out of the way, the car.  She ran beautifully!  Stock brakes, stock suspension and pss tires.  The car was perfect. It did what it was supposed to with no surprises. I took it slow for the day to feel the car out.  The NA power took some getting used to.  Even though the s65 is a supposed torqueless turd I had a low end power that i didnt expect and it was consistent through the power band.  Power came on easy and steady.  No surging or lag to deal with.  It was great.  Right off the bat I was running similar  times I ran in my 335i but I was way more consistent. My fastest in the 335i was 1:29 and in the M3 I managed a 1:32.  I'm pretty happy with that considering it was my first time out with it and i wasn't pushing very hard.  The DCT was awesome!  It did get a little laggy on up shifts when it got hot but downshifts were excellent.  Being able to focus on braking zones was a really nice change.  I could put my energy into hitting better lines instead of worrying about my feet. 

Of course every driver walks away from an event saying "if I just had this item it'd be that much better!".  For me I'd like to get the Schroth quick fit harness and a slightly better pad with more bite.  These worked and I NEVER had any fade but I'd like the pedal a little more effective sooner.  The car does have a little wiggle under heavy braking which led to some butt puckering moments but I'm not sure how to fix that yet.  The easy answer is coilovers but I'm happy with the ride quality so we'll see if I "fix" that. 

Now for the video!  My go pro only recorded the last 10:25 of each session unbeknownst to me but this was the last and my fastest session.

• 5 months later...

This is really a non update update.  For Christmas I got 2 more 10k lumen 4' workshop lights to bring my total to 4 in my 2nd garage.  I'm slowly but surely getting my garage put together.  I also have a hose reel I need to get hung.  I thought I'd share a before and after photo of the lighting for any of you thinking about LED.  I got these from Farm and Fleet on sale for about $55 ea which was cheaper than anything comparable I could find online.  The difference is (excuse the pun) night and day in visibility!  Going from two halogen bulbs to 4 10k lumen led strips is amazing!  I plan on painting next summer to brighten it up even further and getting a shed for some of the lawn mower and toys to help with organization.  For now this is a suitable cave for the M3.

32634320588_0748203555_k.jpgnon led garage by patrick hamilton, on Flickr

32634279158_c0b3fb9cb1_k.jpgled garage by patrick hamilton, on Flickr