WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

Cosmetics indeed. The best part about these cars is that you don't need to do a "build". Everything is done well out of the box. ZCP wheels fit 295 tires in the rear which is plenty enough to put traction down even with a supercharger. The suspension is good, the chassis is good, the diff is good.

For 25-30k plus some cash for BE rod bearings, there isn't much more car you can really buy. Throw a supercharger on it and for well under 40k all-in you've got something that has a very nice interior, handles and brakes well, bespoke V8, and can gobble up the power because the chassis is built well and the clutch won't cry because you still have realistic amounts of torque, and you won't have to worry about bending rods.

Your 335 was a good platform, but after watching Longboarder's NFZ videos of his M3 with DCT + ESS 650 supercharger just crushing M4's with upgraded Pure turbos and many other cars in the 600+ power range, it's hard to argue with the simplicity of being able to basically have it all if you are willing to throw a blower on your M3 at some point. Literally nothing else needs to be done to your car, and it runs on pump gas, lol. Compare that to everything you had to screw around with on your N54, and that in order to be at the power levels of your M3 with a blower (once you put it on), you'd need to do a clutch, probably port injection, guaranteed need to find E85 stations, LSD, better suspension, etc. 

Or just drive it and be happy with a car that does everything except accelerate fast - I can say I've never really "wanted" for more power with the car, and the only reason I just threw dollars at a supercharger is because I have always been the guy who goes over the top with cars. It's what I do. You will get an awful lot of enjoyment out of the car as it stands this summer, without needing to do much. Although I still stand by my statement that you *need* to get an xpipe sooner rather than later. 

IMO you picked the right car and it serves all your summer driving needs, can be tracked, and with a blower it will poo-poo on literally anything you run into on the street other than the occasional GT-R, Z06, or other highly modified muscle car while losing none of its drivability and manners. It should be a car that you can keep relevant while having a unique V8 for many years and I'm happy you have joined this particular club with me. 

On 4/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

I test drove a few cars and came up with what I wanted and didn't want in the car. The toughest part for me was deciding on the DCT.  I have owned a MT vehicle since I was 18 and thought I wanted a 6spd M3... until I drove the DCT.  Oh my god is it good!  The shifts are so fast, the rev matched downshifts put a smile on my face every time AND my wife would be able to drive it.  With that and a few other specific search parameters in place I started searching!  The car I ended up buying happened to be one of the first cars I inquired about.  After a week of discussion with the dealer and negotiation we couldn't come to an agreement on the price.  I walked away from the deal.  That was a Friday.  I found an Alpine White 2010 in Fond Du Lac, met Ben to show him my car at the dealer adn we took the M3 for a drive.  It was a mess to the say the least.  A mouse got into it and chewed up connectors, wires and a seat belt.  It had a shitty wrap on the dash trim and many other red flags.  I walked away from that car very discouraged and kept searching.  I was ready to expand my parameters because I was getting impatient.  Jordan helped keep me centered on the search and kept reminding me what I didn't want and why some cars were a bad idea.  It's probably thanks to him that I'm not driving a 150k mile jet black 08.

Sooooo is the trick to do it behind the back? 
;)

I'm glad your trip ended up going alright and you found something that the whole family enjoys!

Awesome read. Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a hell of a time searching on top of everything else going on. I hope the wife is doing good and that's really cool that she can drive it. Im sure that really helps justify it and it "sounds" like it made her happy too. A friend of mine bought a Supra last year and went for an auto because he wanted his father to be able to enjoy the car with him as well. Congrats man, I will look forward to seeing it in person this summer..... sometime after this winter curse you brought upon us goes away. :) 

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys!  My wife is doing alright.  It was a very long process to diagnose her with a lot of trying times.  A lot of time spent in hospitals, a lot of needles and a lot of waiting.  A few doctors at the beginning couldn't even figure out what was wrong with her and at one point it was a 2 1/2 month wait to see a neurologist.  One test would come back negative and another would come back positive and then another would be inconclusive so our emotions have been put through their paces for the last 9 months or so.  She's been tough through the whole process.  Now that we have a positive diagnosis from a 2nd opinion we can start to figure out how to proceed with treatment.  Currently she doesn't really experience any symptoms but that could change over time so any of the medication is to lessen the chance for a flare up in the future but they all of have side affects and consequences.  The biggest thing is that we want to have another kid but if she starts taking medicine now it's about a 9 - 12 month lead time for the medication to take affect then there has to be a period of time where she is off the medicine before she can get pregnant.  Certainly not something we've planned for but there's nothing we can do about it either.

Now for some better news!  I started ordering parts for the car last Friday.  Through my wholesale account with ECS I got some great deals on BMW performance blackout grille's, painted reflectors and LED angel eyes.  Next up will be a gloss black GTS front lip, some coding and eventually the GTS DCT flash.  Anyone have experience with Carly?  Pros and Cons?

After getting the exhaust video I also headed out to a spot to take some pictures.  They're only Gopro quality photo's right now because my lap top is dead so I can't get my pictures off of my Nikon at the moment.

20180409_090618.jpg

I also had an experience with one of these. There was one parked out-front of a business when myself and a few friends were hanging out last weekend. We eventually found the owner of it inside. So we started talking to him about it and he offered us a ride. Keep in mind I had just met this guy dont know his name or anything. So we thought to ourselfs 4kids VS 1 Stranger and we took him up on his offer. It was black with the auto trans. Long story he did a bunch of pulls and drifted around the city of EC. His car alarm went off shortly after so we found him again and told him. He ended up giving spider some jumper cables out of his appreciation. It was one hell of a time. Love that car.

I think my favorite part about this, is how excited you are to be able to share the car with your wife! That’s so awesome.

Wish Rolls was like that [emoji102]

I really need a ride in this thing when we get the chance. Every time I brought the idea of purchasing one of these to Mitch I was always immediately talked out of it lol. Sounds so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my favorite part about this, is how excited you are to be able to share the car with your wife! That’s so awesome.

Wish Rolls was like that [emoji102]

I really need a ride in this thing when we get the chance. Every time I brought the idea of purchasing one of these to Mitch I was always immediately talked out of it lol. Sounds so good!!

Mods, ban this user

12 hours ago, inazupra said:

Wish Rolls was like that emoji102.png

Thanks!  As soon as the fucking snow melts I'll bring it up and you can take jt for a drive!  The sound is intoxicating!  Mitch can ride in back...

• 4 weeks later...

My lifes been a little nuts lately between work and trying to find a new house while getting ours ready to sell but i've had time to drive the car and fall even more in love with it!  Being able to drive with the windows open makes the driving experience so much better.  I have never owned a car that gets so much attention from random people.  I have had to explain to my wife that an M3 isn't really something seen every day, especially in our area.  I did have a chance to order a few minor mods and install two!  I have a set of led angel eyes just waiting for me to install them.  Without further ado here is the most boring upadate ever.  I installed the BMW Performance black grille and painted side markers.  Done.20180510_201243.jpg

3 hours ago, snap said:

whats next on the wishlist?

I was looking at E9X m3 mods and almost none of them are cheap, but its also not an E30 and doesnt need a lot of mods to be awesome either

Next up is a thorough cleaning!  I haven't had anytime to really clean it and my wheels are getting filthy!  But as far as purchased stuff goes I think a lip is up next but I'm torn between a lip and a set of springs.  I just can't get away from the low life!  I started a wish list on ECS and it has 8 items that total a little over $3300... Some of that stuff is more for reference like the front lip and rear diffuser.  Those alone are $1400 but i'm not stupid enough to spend that money.  I'll go ebay or some knock off for that stuff.

2 hours ago, MPW3RLee said:

Looking good, your first two mods are the same first two things I did to mine! Good taste! I didn’t even make it back from my 30 hour trip and I had to make a quick stop at work to throw my grilles in, in the middle of a snow storm 😬

Thanks!  Great minds think alike!