WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:34 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

The coilover install had a slight hiccup preventing me from finishing it a couple weeks ago but it was unrelated to the coilovers themselves.  My passenger rear lower shock bolt snapped off which meant I needed to pull the arm to try cut out the shock and remove the bolt.  Spoiler alert, I could not get the bolt out.  It's an aluminum CA and a steel bolt that I'm guessing is stainless or has some coating to prevent galvanic corrosion.  I tried soaking it in PB, heat, heat plus wax, drilling, using an extractor kit and swearing at it with no luck.  I ended up ordering another control arm from ebay before I left for SEMA and got it all put together this weekend.

New fear unlocked right before I do my suspension overhaul. Did the bolt head snap off while hitting it with an impact? That really sucks, but hopefully the shock isn't threaded so it could just slip off and you only have to buy one new thing :(

17 minutes ago, pynacl said:

New fear unlocked right before I do my suspension overhaul. Did the bolt head snap off while hitting it with an impact? That really sucks, but hopefully the shock isn't threaded so it could just slip off and you only have to buy one new thing :(

My air impact wouldn't budge it so I switched to my ratchet and that's when I snapped it off after quite a bit of movement.  The only threaded part was in the control arm so cutting the shock bolt off allowed me to just drop the shock out.

• 6 months later...

We shot another video at work.  I haven't really done much with the car this year other than drive it every chance I can and fix the lip every few weeks from rogue squirrels attracted to the sweet sweet tone of a V8.  Twice these little buggers have jumped in front of me on the same road.  Good news, I'm getting OK at repairing carbon fiber.

IMG_1171.JPG67474490774__BC1803E1-8DD6-4B62-9205-A794B4188814.jpg

• 1 month later...

No joke, I've hit at least 3 squirrels/chipmunks and my lip continues to take a beating but thankfully I've gotten pretty OK at fixing carbon pieces.  It's not perfect but it's a solid 5 footer.  I could have spent more time sanding the resin after it hardened to get it to conform to the curve upwards better but I figured if anything I just added some stiffness to an area that's bound to get hit again.

Here's how it started:

IMG_1663.JPG

Here's how it went:

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

Ok, so I spoke too soon.  I'm not 100% sure what I hit but when I was driving home from Appleton last night I heard a loud flapping noise so I pulled over at a Kwik Trip and was surprised to find out most of my front lip was missing.  I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly confident it was not another squirrel. I was right though, the spot that I just fixed held up! 🤣

I don't think I can fix this one so the car is naked for the time being.

IMG_1777.jpg