WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

9 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I have a few parts ordered or here already!  I have a set of aeroflow dynamics side skirt extensions sitting in my garage, a GTS lip should be showing up Friday and a new set of Conti Extremecontact Sport's ordered.  I'm still deciding on Bilstein B8 vs coilovers but really leaning towards the B8's at this point.

I also free'd up some space in my garage so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Maxjax lift soon!

Now we’re getting serious!

I lied, cancelled my Continental order earlier this week because @SteelBluehooked me up with Vredestein tire for a set to demo!  I'm getting a set of Hypertrac from them in 275/35r19 and 255/35r19.  They're a company out of the Netherlands and have been producing tires for the European market for over 100 years and launched in the U.S. last year with tires developed specifically for the North American market.  The reviews so far have been very positive so I'm excited to give them a try!

I'm hoping to have them on before Autox on 5/23 so they'll be put to the test quickly!

21 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Those hypertracs, from what I can find, are like a 500tw tire, the conti ECS is like a 340tw. I wouldn’t expect too much from them for your autox needs.

Tried to get him the Vorti’s which are the UHP tire but they didn’t have them in stock. 

46 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Those hypertracs, from what I can find, are like a 500tw tire, the conti ECS is like a 340tw. I wouldn’t expect too much from them for your autox needs.

Tredware is a number made up by the manufacturer that's only relative to other tires by that manufacturer.  I'm not expecting extreme grip but the reviews I've read place it pretty high up there as far as grip goes compared to other UHP A/S tires and even some Max Performance summers.  If it gets me around a track without dying a couple times a year it's done it's job. I'm looking forward to more wet road confidence!

10 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Tredware is a number made up by the manufacturer that's only relative to other tires by that manufacturer.  I'm not expecting extreme grip but the reviews I've read place it pretty high up there as far as grip goes compared to other UHP A/S tires and even some Max Performance summers.  If it gets me around a track without dying a couple times a year it's done it's job. I'm looking forward to more wet road confidence!

Understand the tw # issue, but what else am I supposed to base an assumption on lol

Friday night I had a chance to install my lip and side skirt extensions and Saturday morning I took the time to deep clean my wheels which were in dire need.

The lip install was pretty straight forward and fitment is probably a 3/5 at best.  It's what I'd expect from a $300 lip.  It's not full carbon and took some persuading to fit.  It came with spots to drill for the OE mounting points and most were roughly correct and a couple weren't even fucking close.  Overall I'm happy with the look of it on the car.  I didn't take any pictures of the side skirt extensions but that was very easy and fits well.  It came with an abundance of self tappers to install them and it's mounted very well to the car.  So well that after I told my kids not to step on them I found a foot print... and it's still attached!

For the wheels I took them off, soaked them then sprayed them down with Chemical Guys Sticky Citrus and let that sit for 15 minutes or so.  After that I went at them with a nylon wheel brush then rinsed them with a pressure washer.  I sprayed them down a second time with the Sticky Citrus and did some more scrubbing and rinsed again.  After they dried I used Griots 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax to try and make clean up easier later on.

I'm really impressed by how well the Sticky Citrus worked and I fee that it helped lift the brake dust and dirt more effectively than other products I've used but I did end up using almost a whole bottle.  I don't think my wheels have ever been this clean!  We'll see how effective the Griots is.  I've waxed my wheels in the past but it neve really helped repel contaminants or make cleaning them easier.  The last picture highlights how filthy my wheels were prior to me washing.

PXL_20210514_212230281.jpgPXL_20210514_233216496.jpg

PXL_20210515_154227582.jpgPXL_20210515_180025850.jpgPXL_20210515_175949137.jpgPXL_20210515_180015573.jpg

PXL_20210406_152124577.MP.jpg

Milestone hit!  The car crossed 90k this past weekend!  I also got my new tires installed yesterday, thanks again @SteelBluefor hooking me up with Vredestein!

First impression of the tires when I saw them was "Yup, looks like an all season."  The sidewall looks nice and the tread pattern looks good.  Lot's of locking squiggles in the tread blocks to help dry performance and reduce flex in the tread blocks.  I took them on my shakedown route and they performed better than I expected for an all season tire!  These provide more grip than anyone needs on the street.  Pushing them at pace on the road they never felt like they were going to give up grip.  Coming hot into a roundabout and the front pushed a little as I made the quick steering input from right to left but it was predictable for this car and caused no brown moments.  The rear grips just fine coming on the throttle out of corners and didn't display any unexpected oversteer.  The ride is comfortable but I wouldn't say it's any better than the Pzero's I took off which is to say both tires were competing with my exhaust for noise level so it's irrelevant.

If you are driving past this tires limit on the street then you're driving like an asshole.  I'll run them at a track/autox just to see how they handle but I have no expectation that they'll be on the same level as the Pzero or PSS.

PXL_20210521_223652235.jpg

PXL_20210525_011953153.jpgPXL_20210525_012022865.jpg

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Plz no esms or rotiforms 

Both companies meet or exceed load certifications that are voluntary in the U.S. and Rotiform specifically makes a line of motorsport quality wheels.  So other than being heavy and having nthe perception of being "fake" wheels I don't see an issue with either.  It all boils down to purpose.  Street use?  Both are perfectly safe for any street loads.  Track use?  Maybe go with a lighter weight option.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy few weeks for me.  We've had a lot going on at work and at home lately!

I got my wheels hand delivered by @SteelBlue last week and promptly got them installed!  They are Artisa Elder's running 19x9.5 et35 and 19x10.5 et25 with Yokohama Advan Sport+ in 255/35r19 and 275/35r19.  The wheels are .5" wider than my stock ZCP wheels.  The offsets make them slightly more aggressive than the ZCP wheels but not as aggressive as I wanted so I'm running the same 12.5mm rear and 15mm front spacers I had on the ZCP wheels which makes it about a half inch wider than the old set up.  The picture makes it look like the rear is cambered in but it's a weird angle in the picture.

I have a set of ST XTA +3 coilovers on the way to replace the OEM 93k mile struts/shocks.  The goal isn't to lower the car more just refresh the current set up and dial in the ride and handling.

B1BD627B-CE4F-4304-B6A5-09277665ED58.jpeg

Edited by patsbimmer1
Appease @steelblue

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I really like these and It's pretty rare that I like newer aftermarket wheels.

Thanks!  I was cautious about going with anything that wasn't the OEM ZCP wheel because I love that design so much.  Artisa is one of our wheel companies at work and knowing the guys who designed and engineered it made me feel good about putting them on my car.  They meet or exceed the most recent SAE J2530 standards.  Those tests are performed independently by SAE so we can't self certify.

Knowing this, when the opportunity popped up for me to have the first set made for an M car and one of the first BMW sets made at all I was thrilled!  Especially this design!  I also forgot to mention, this wheel/tire combo is about a 1lb lighter per corner for a wheel that's a .5" wider with the same size tires!