WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

My Amazon eye bolts came in today!  They were 100mm in length so they required some trimming and die work but work just fine.  $10 eye bolts>$70 BMW cash grab.  I've thought about painting them black but I've also reminded myself it's my trunk and nobody will ever see them that's conscious/alive so silver they'll stay.

Also, I gave them a try with a much more reasonable load of beer this past weekend and they passed the roundabout challenge!

IMG_20200415_122354.jpg

I did a little spit shine on Sunday then took the family to get some blue moon ice cream at Leducs in Waukesha. I live this old man paint more and more when I see it. It's so dynamic in different light and showcases the creases and arches really well.  We soaked it then scrubbed it with some Meguiars wash/wax soap then I came at it with my orbital and Meguiars Mirror Glaze M2 on a foam shower cap. It does a nice job removing some difficult water spots but it's evident that I need a rotary to really make the paint perfect.  I'd like to try the Chemical Guys Hydroslick once it's back in stock and I need to do a wheel off cleaning of my wheels.  They're filthy.  Don't judge me.

IMG_20200419_124625.jpgIMG_20200419_130614.jpgIMG_20200419_155822.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a red start button from Amazon and China fucked it up so I exchanged it and that was also fucked up but less fucked so I installed it to see if I liked it. Well, the family took the M3 to Leducs for ice cream tonight and my wife noticed the button.  To emphasize how strange this is I will say that my wife still hasn't noticed I went catless.  Anyways, she noticed it and said it looked stupid and she liked the black button better and she was right.  Long story short I reinstalled the black button at 11:30 tonight.  There's no pictures and this was a largely pointless post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spent the day at Blackhawk Farms Raceway today with @B C. It was a wet one with some delays in the morning due to lightning but by the time we got on track it was perfect... ly soaking wet.  It was absolutely pouring rain for our first session with standing water in some of the corners.  It was intimidating to say the least to be out there but to be honest those were probably the most fun laps.  Session 2 was damp and still slick and session 3 had a dry line but I didn't have the confidence to really test the dry line like I would on a totally dry track.  Overall i'm happy with the laps I got in.  It was nice to really test out low traction braking at high-ish speeds.  Coming into turn one doing 80-85 in pouring rain then hitting the brakes was scary, then coming onto the gas and having the back end perfectly step out then back in was fun.  I kept all of the nannies on for session 1 and 2 then had M dynamic mode for session 3 which turns back all of the safety nets.  Really feeling the car slide during braking was neat and nice to try in a safe lower speed environment.  ABS isn't non-existent but the threshold for getting there is so much more than any car i've driven.  Session 3 were my fastest laps with a consistent 1:41 but that's way off from my best laps in this car at 1:31.  There is so much left in this cars ability and i'm only scratching the surface.  With more seat time a 1:25 is a reality for me in this car.  Looking back on the video on my dry-ish laps I was lifting and coasting, I know I wasn't WOT when I could have been and I was braking waaay to early.  I don't think my lines were miserable and I was VERY happy with the Pirello P Zero's.  I could not get the wet laps out of my head and seeing a few off's throughout the day didn't help with my confidence.  Oh well, the car lived another day and I know what I need to work on.  On the plus side I was told my car was easily the loudest in our run group so i'll take that as a moral victory.

Bonus: You can see me point @B C by at about the 5:15 mark in the video.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my pictures back from Nvus this week and i'm pretty happy with them!  That's @B Cchasing me down in the 2nd photo.  I also noticed something that i'm happy about which is that my head is actually looking through the corner to the next.  I remind myself on track to look through the corner i'm in at the next 1 or 2 moves but it's weird actually seeing my head doing it.

NVUS1506.jpgNVUS4509.jpg

NVUS1207.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had my car cleaned by Reuben at Endless Detailing yesterday before it rained and I can honestly say that my expectations were FAR exceeded by him.  It was a simple wash and spray wax but man he fucking killed it!  I was most excited about how clean he got my wheels since that might be my least favorite part of the car to clean.

IMG_20200810_105909.jpg

IMG_20200810_124854.jpgIMG_20200810_125031.jpgIMG_20200810_125357.jpg

I'm running out of things that I want to modify on the car but i'm checking one more off the list soon.  My car has the beloved burl walnut trim that BMW inexplicably put on every fucking car if no other trim option was selected.  It's not the worst I've ever seen but it's one little thing in the car that draws attention away from the sporting nature of the car.  I didn't want to do CF because my interior is already covered in black and I didn't think the CF would pop enough, also I didn't want to sell a testicle to buy it.  I opted to go a little different and plan on covering the wood trim with M cross fabric that I ordered from Relicate.  If you haven't checked them out I highly recommend it!  I like the randomness of the pattern.  It'll also add color without being too in your face. 

Also - I registered for the FVSCC / MSCC Road America AutoCross on 9/13.  I hope to see some of you guys there!

BMW_M_CROSS_SEAT_FABRIC_CLOTH_BLACK_B_49

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm running out of things that I want to modify on the car but i'm checking one more off the list soon.  My car has the beloved burl walnut trim that BMW inexplicably put on every fucking car if no other trim option was selected.  It's not the worst I've ever seen but it's one little thing in the car that draws attention away from the sporting nature of the car.  I didn't want to do CF because my interior is already covered in black and I didn't think the CF would pop enough, also I didn't want to sell a testicle to buy it.  I opted to go a little different and plan on covering the wood trim with M cross fabric that I ordered from Relicate.  If you haven't checked them out I highly recommend it!  I like the randomness of the pattern.  It'll also add color without being too in your face. 

Also - I registered for the FVSCC / MSCC Road America AutoCross on 9/13.  I hope to see some of you guys there!

That's a great idea! Definitely interested to see how it looks. 

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

M_Cross is my forever favorite. I have a shift boot set ready to go into one of my cars. Good choice

5 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

M_Cross is my forever favorite. I have a shift boot set ready to go into one of my cars. Good choice

I'd say I like it for the purpose I'm going to use it for but on a seat I think hurricane is my favorite.

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

If you have leftover scraps when you’re done, I’d buy them off of you. Might be cool to make a few dual layer masks with this pattern on the outside, seeing as their use likely won’t go away anytime soon. 

Consider it done!

• 2 weeks later...