WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New build! E90 M3

patsbimmer1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, m42b32 said:

Sounds awesome! It's so weird watching the center cap stay perfectly still the whole time

On 9/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, B C said:

I bet the centercaps were a great conversation piece. This is one of the only applications of a Borla muffler that sounds really good to me. I have usually preferred Magnaflow in the past, but that was also back in the 4 cylinder days

I had two guys come up and ask me how I got them to do that lol.  It's still the dumbest thing I've put on this car and I love other peoples reactions!

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Car sounds great!

What was the highest BMW/Euro power at LMT that day?

Friday there was an 08 335i that put down 701whp/712wtq and that ended up being the highest euro 2wd or 4wd.  There were a couple F80's on Saturday that were 570 and 590 whp respectively.  The one that dyno'd 590 actually ended up on the Burger Tuning instagram page.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few plans for the car over the next few months and it's starting on the interior right now.  For Christmas I received the Colby Wheel parking brake boot and DCT boot.  Over the weekend I was able to install the parking brake boot and I'm happy with the look.  If like to get the interior a little brightened up without exploding with color and I think this helps.  The DCT boot is a little more labor intensive so I'll be doing it this week.

IMG_20200105_155358.jpgIMG_20200105_164533.jpg

I took a moment today to knock out the DCT boot today from Coby Wheel.  It's not exactly as simple as the parking brake boot was and I reached out to Coby Wheel for some direction which he provided quickly.  Part of the instructions included cutting my old leather boot off... which I wasn't really thrilled about.  I was fully prepared to do this when I started the project but later figured out I didn't need to.

First step was removing the shift decal and face plate from the knob.  I used a small blade screwdriver to pry the decal off then used a torx to take the screw out holding the face plate.

IMG_20200111_135608.jpg

After this I removed the leather boot from the frame using a flat blade screwdriver.  Now, this is where you would normally cut the leather boot off of the base of the shift knob then ziptie the new one on.  I decided to try and slide the leather boot through the alcantara one and have the new alcantara rest on top of the leather boot.  I did this in order to easily revert back to stock without having to buy a new knob/boot assembly.  Once I had that done there is a piece of boot that you can slide under the face plate and sandwich in order to have a more seamless look.

IMG_20200111_141051.jpg

Here it is with the face plate resting on top and the alcantara boot resting over the leather boot.

IMG_20200111_141732.jpgIMG_20200111_141743.jpgIMG_20200111_141750.jpg

To be honest, once I got to this point I was actually disappointed about the fitment.  It looked really frumpy.  I decided to put it in the car and see if being on the shift lever helped.

I used some double sided tape to install the decal and popped her in.

IMG_20200111_142850 (1).jpg

IMG_20200111_143025.jpg

IMG_20200111_143032.jpg

IMG_20200111_143122.jpg

I'm much happier with it installed!  It's still more bunched up than the leather boot was but I don't mind it at all.  I'm really happy with the boot and it was a quick 30~ min DIY that's completely reversible.

47 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

That feeling in your stomach when you ruin a perfectly good part and can never go back to stock again :(

Looks great though!

But that feeling though :"D 

Many cars I have had no qualms about cutting, slicing, etc. but this car I just couldn't bring myself to say "fuck it".  I did have the fabric scissors sitting next to me just in case but i'm glad I was able to do it without ruining the original leather.

• 2 months later...

I bought a few things recently and yesterday one of them showed up!  I ordered a set of VRSF catless downpipes from Extreme Power House last week since ECS will not sell catless parts.  I originally wanted Rogue Engineering test pipes from Bimmerworld because the price is great but they were out of stock and when I called it in they told me Rogue was terrible with in-stocks and they estimated at least 2-3 months.  I did some searching and found that VRSF made a catless downpipe and it was only $20 more than the Rogue option on sale right now.

I had used VRSF in the past and trusted they would have a quality part at a great price and I wasn't disappointed.  The installation was pretty straight forward.  Remove the exhaust, measure where to cut, cut out cats, attach new pipes, floor it.  The benefit is extra horsepower and increase in eargasms.

There's a few useless pictures and the video doesn't do this mod justice.  I have it paired with the Borla Atak mufflers and in my opinion, it sounds phenomenal.  It has added more bark and volume to the sound in the mid to upper rev range and added more depth and complexity to the overall tone through the range..  Apparently, without a tune, it has added more power but I can't honestly tell if it "feels" like more power because the noise has changed or if there actually is until I get it back on a dyno.  I was worried about it being too loud but at cruising rpm's there is a only a slight increase in volume and it doesn't get loud unless I want it to.

IMG_20200402_102757.jpgIMG_20200402_131309_01.jpg

5 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

those downshifts, tho 😍

That's my favorite part!  The crescendo of explosions coming out of the back as I run to 8300rpm is nice but... the rev matched downshifts are my favorite!  One of my favorite things is driving around town and downshifting when people are walking around or have car windows open and watch the heads whip around to see what's making such an archaic noise and the confusion when they see my car then the joy that usually follows.

5 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I bought a few things recently and yesterday one of them showed up!  I ordered a set of VRSF catless downpipes from Extreme Power House last week since ECS will not sell catless parts.  I originally wanted Rogue Engineering test pipes from Bimmerworld because the price is great but they were out of stock and when I called it in they told me Rogue was terrible with in-stocks and they estimated at least 2-3 months.  I did some searching and found that VRSF made a catless downpipe and it was only $20 more than the Rogue option on sale right now.

I had used VRSF in the past and trusted they would have a quality part at a great price and I wasn't disappointed.  The installation was pretty straight forward.  Remove the exhaust, measure where to cut, cut out cats, attach new pipes, floor it.  The benefit is extra horsepower and increase in eargasms.

There's a few useless pictures and the video doesn't do this mod justice.  I have it paired with the Borla Atak mufflers and in my opinion, it sounds phenomenal.  It has added more bark and volume to the sound in the mid to upper rev range and added more depth and complexity to the overall tone through the range..  Apparently, without a tune, it has added more power but I can't honestly tell if it "feels" like more power because the noise has changed or if there actually is until I get it back on a dyno.  I was worried about it being too loud but at cruising rpm's there is a only a slight increase in volume and it doesn't get loud unless I want it to.

IMG_20200402_102757.jpgIMG_20200402_131309_01.jpg

Should have told you to use Pynacls this link for 5% off at check out https://www.vr-speed.com/ref/24/

Among my box of Liquimoly that showed up Saturday was also my newest interior upgrade. A cargo net!  I know, not the most exciting but for me this was a big upgrade.  It's bmw part # 51470010557.  For whatever reason BMW stopped installing the front facing hooks closest to the back seats sometime in the 2010-2011 MY but left the tapped holes in the body behind the felt.  At my cost it's about $70 to buy the screws, covers, etc to properly at the hooks that BMW should have put in to begin with. $70 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme but my principles won't allow me to spend that on this absurdity so I figured out what the thread pitch is and ordered two eye bolts off of Amazon and am waiting for them to show up. For anyone else's reference they are M8x1.25.  For now I have it hooked under the tray so I can use it and boy did I get to use it this past weekend!  Turns out it has limitations and a week+ worth of groceries for a family of 4 exceeds them.  Overall I'm happy with it.  One of my biggest daily gripes driving this regularly during the salt free months is there is NO secure storage so anything in my car was one spirited roundabout away from certain doom.

I also bought Chemical Guys leather conditioner and gave that a try on the front seats to start and so far I'm happy with the results. After sitting for 24 hours the passenger seat is noticably more compliant.  My complaint is that they are a little slicker.  The conditioner is a pleasant leather scent but does require some airing out to prevent it from getting overwhelming.  A spirited 120 with all of the windows down seemed to do the trick.

IMG_20200405_120026.jpg