WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My 1997 M3 (That I'm not going to part out anymore)

ChrisO

I know it seems like I keep posting pretty much the same thing over and over, but soon I should be able to change it up.

Something fun will be here on Monday, and I should be getting something from @Bassboy3313 soon too 😀

Cleaned the inside of my front arches today and installed and adjusted my front BC coilovers

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Although I forgot to take a pic of the arches cleaned and coilovers installed 🤷‍♂️

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

Went with 12mm spacers

IMG_2247.JPG

Everything installed, close to how I want it to sit

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

The rears aren't on anymore because the rear springs settled and the tires started to rub when I rolled it in my garage. Gonna adjust them tomorrow and throw the rear wheels on

Bonus pics, cleaned my engine bay up a bit

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

Missing a hose clamp on the intake still, I'm not sure why the PO went though all the hassle to put a 3.5in MAF in without any other mods. Kinda don't like seeing 5 hose clams in a row and all the extra couplers. Also this intake flops around and Isn't attached to anything

55 minutes ago, Daggerty said:

Engine bay looks nice, don't touch your washer reservoir with dirty hands mine is permanently ruined. 

Well that 3.5 inch maf works wonders when you have a 3 inch pipe feeding it and then it going into a 2.5 inch throttle body. 

Yep, any and all gains come from the tune required to run the MAF 

1 minute ago, snap said:

Yep, any and all gains come from the tune required to run the MAF 

I figured that, injectors are still pink and rev limit is still 7k so I doubt I have any sort of performance software flashed on the DME. Just thought it was strange how out of there way someone went to put this MAF in. 

So today this came:

IMG_2262.JPG

My brother thought that it was garbage when he saw it on the porch because the box was so badly beaten. You couldn't even pick it up without it folding in half, so it's a miracle it's all mostly here.

It's a UUC branded SSBC BBK kit. It's probably pretty old, but the seals and pistons all look nice, and the brake lines are in good condition.

I'm pretty sure stock M brakes up front would have been sufficient for anything I ever do, but I always wanted a BBK and it was $200 for everything so I really couldn't pass them up!

IMG_2264.JPG

The pads still have compound on them, but they are cracking it looks like, so new pads will be probably $100

All of the crush washers are stuck crushed so I need new ones. I don't really know where all the washers and stuff go so that'll be interesting. I figured out that the pins hold the pads in and the little cotter pins retain them

IMG_2263.JPG

The seller said the rotors were junk but I said send them anyway, and sure enough they have plenty of material left to be put on a rotor lathe. + for slotted!

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

I cleaned them up the best I could, they are pretty stained but I think it looks kinda cool. Might try harder later.

Did some suspension adjusting today and threw the rear wheels on finally

IMG_2329.JPG

Rear wheels rub when I hit bumps, I might have to go up a hair all around. My front and rear arches are mildly rolled already, so i'm going to rent a fender roller and roll them a bit more. I have adjustable rear control arms sitting in my garage, but I don't wanna have to run excessive camber and it's a pain moving the diff forward to put them in etc.

I was going to do my rear sway bar bushing and links today, but the bushings don't seem like they could possibly fit

IMG_2327.JPG 

I was trying to force the bracket around the bushing, and there is no way it's going in like that. I don't know if ecs sent me the wrong bushings on accident, or if I'm doing something wrong. A few years ago I was going to do the front sway bar bushings on my old M3 and I had the same problem. Bad luck twice?

I hate those parts that are tough to install and dont seem quite right. It could just be that the bushing is designed such that it requires stretching in order to ensure that there is no slop. I have only ever dealt with urethane replacements. Rubber is the superior material but urethane is so much better for a DIYer to work with and easier for aftermarket production so urethane usually wins.

those beebs lookin’ real nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Been kinda busy/unmotivated the last few weeks, going to order poly rtabs, sway bar bushings, e46 M3 rotors and brake pads for the BBK tonight. This weekend I'm renting a fender roller also. I feel kinda guilty because now the car will probably be ready just in time for school this fall, the 4th summer in a row where my BMW has been out of service.

Anyway, I went to Gibsons in Appleton yesterday and today and went overboard because they are so insanely cheap. Found something very cool that will make it's way into the M3 

I found a 328i vert in the yard and initially when I saw the interior I thought wtf did someone do to this car, seeing all the interior panels wrapped in tan leather. I didn't immediately realize that this car had the super rare extended leather interior package. I looked up the vin and this car also had the M aerodynamics package, wood package, and a BMW phone that was now gone. The hood was smashed closed, but I'm pretty certain this was an individual car.

The center console section was the worst, someone had yanked on it to get to something.

IMG_2546.png

These things are foam with metal running through them, and thankfully it bent back and a few sections of broken foam just need to be glued. It already looks like nothing ever happened

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2539.JPGIMG_2540.JPGIMG_2541.JPG

I found the glovebox cover on the ground outside of the car. All the leather is pretty stained, but somehow its soft and has absolutely no water damage and no peeling or bubbling. The only piece missing is the driver side panel that goes under the steering wheel. 

The full haul:

IMG_2542.JPG  

I paid $64 for all the extended package leather stuff, and $26 for everything else...

Have any of you ever dyed leather? Do you have to spray it on or do you just rub it in? This leather is stained beyond repair and some spots need to be filled etc. and I don't want tan anyway. They would look perfect dyed black and in my car 

10 minutes ago, Earl said:

Awesome find. Didn't see that when I was up there somehow. Did it still have the aero bumper covers or were they gone? 

Rear bumper is still there, diffuser gone. Unfortunately it has M twisty skirts that are smashed and not just the sport ones. Front bumper is gone, all side trim gone. Color is Schwartz

52 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Do they still get BMWs frequently? I might need to go plundering for some brake booster related items.

Interior is a good find.

Fresh 4 door e30, forgot to tell you. decent amount of interior stuff left, all body panels too, didn't look under the hood. Black center console and glovebox, carpet, oh-shit handles

52 minutes ago, Earl said:

The rear aero bumper doesn't have a removable diffuser. It has one molded in. The aero bumpers are actually just covers for the lower half of the stock bumpers.

NWZkMmJkMDRiMGE5MmQyZTZhNjIyOTFlNTRlMzEw

Hm, I'm not sure I guess I didn't get a good look at it. It definitely has the twisty M3 skirts, the build sheet says "S715A M Aerodynamics Package" I found a vert online with an identical build sheet and it just has the M3 rear bumper and diffuser.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2128087-Very-Rare-Aegean-Blue-BMW-M-328i-e36-(1997)-lux-edition

10 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Fresh 4 door e30, forgot to tell you. decent amount of interior stuff left, all body panels too, didn't look under the hood. Black center console and glovebox, carpet, oh-shit handles

Hm, I'm not sure I guess I didn't get a good look at it. It definitely has the twisty M3 skirts, the build sheet says "S715A M Aerodynamics Package" I found a vert online with an identical build sheet and it just has the M3 rear bumper and diffuser.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2128087-Very-Rare-Aegean-Blue-BMW-M-328i-e36-(1997)-lux-edition

When are they open until during the weekend and weekend? I’m probably gonna have to make my way over on Saturday 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little update, I really need to start busting my ass on this car so I can have it daily-driveable for school

Washed my floor pan like a weirdo and put my black carpet in, I haven't replaced that firewall gasket still but the dashboard can come out with the carpet in. The car remains garaged 24/7

IMG_2731.JPG

Putting a carpet in is always a PITA

Got some mudflaps from a guy on Bimmerforums for $10

IMG_2729.JPG

Took my really bad sagging headliner out, glad I got it out before that foam/glue shit started getting all over everything. Very hard to clean off, happened on my last M.

IMG_2728.JPG

I put all the handles and visors back in, probably just gonna drive it like that for the fall

I also tried to replace my rear emblem that was flaking apart, I got lucky and found a oem one off a e60 (same size) at the scrap yard.

It was surprisingly hard to take off, it took a ton of force and I scratched the paint behind the emblem up 😐. The little pegs broke off inside the grommets. I ended up ruining both grommets getting those pegs out, so I have to order some of those.

IMG_2730.JPG

Check out that orange peel. I'm gonna guess this trunk is a respray, at least it has the vin still 

I also lined up my bumper and fog lights and it looks 1000x better then before