WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My 1997 M3 (That I'm not going to part out anymore)

ChrisO

On 7/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, ChrisO said:

Have any of you ever dyed leather? Do you have to spray it on or do you just rub it in? This leather is stained beyond repair and some spots need to be filled etc. and I don't want tan anyway. They would look perfect dyed black and in my car 

I am going to be dying the door cards in the E30 along with the headliner and carpet. From the research I've been doing, the Duplicolor Fabric and Vinyl is the stuff to get, can be found at most automotive places and hardware stores. I've seen lightly wet sanding the leather with 1000 grit sandpaper, then cleaning the leather of an residual gunk, and then finally rubbing it down with some isopropyl alcohol. Then spraying the dye on like paint for the most part and letting it dry.

I think I might dye the back seat black as it won't have very much traffic on it, but the front seats I will likely just be replacing.

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

I am going to be dying the door cards in the E30 along with the headliner and carpet. From the research I've been doing, the Duplicolor Fabric and Vinyl is the stuff to get, can be found at most automotive places and hardware stores. I've seen lightly wet sanding the leather with 1000 grit sandpaper, then cleaning the leather of an residual gunk, and then finally rubbing it down with some isopropyl alcohol. Then spraying the dye on like paint for the most part and letting it dry.

I think I might dye the back seat black as it won't have very much traffic on it, but the front seats I will likely just be replacing.

I found some leather dye at the craft store, but it doesn't work at all. It's hard to explain but it almost seems thinner then water and it separates out and refuses to stick to the leather. I'm concerned that the fabric and vinyl spray paint will have a very shiny appearance, do they make a more matte spray? I know that my rear seat is sort of shiny, but something like a shift boot has no shine and I think that's more like what I want for the center console

8 hours ago, ChrisO said:

I found some leather dye at the craft store, but it doesn't work at all. It's hard to explain but it almost seems thinner then water and it separates out and refuses to stick to the leather. I'm concerned that the fabric and vinyl spray paint will have a very shiny appearance, do they make a more matte spray? I know that my rear seat is sort of shiny, but something like a shift boot has no shine and I think that's more like what I want for the center console

From the videos I’ve seen of people using this fabric dye it looks like the same consistency as spray paint. I will let you know how it goes, might start doing it this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently doing my RTABs, 

IMG_2867.JPG

Blown out pretty bad

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

The drill method worked pretty good, but I left a small notch in the trailing arm. Opinions on if it'll ever matter? It's obviously not huge, it's in the thickest spot of the arm and it's circular so it wont crack I'm thinking. The poly bushings went in snug

IMG_2872.JPG

So I have the poly in, everything torqued and the arm is back in the car on the drivers side. unfortunately I found a small hairline crack at the mounting point. I'm not going to risk driving on it, so I need to have it welded and reinforcement plates welded in ASAP, I only have 2 weeks before I go back to school. Can anyone recommend a shop that will do this right? I don't want it rusting or anything like that because a shop didn't prep it right.

IMG_2873.JPG  

I hit it with some sand paper, and it is indeed a crack. The other side is the side that clunked bad, so fingers crossed

IMG_2880.JPG

I'm an absolute idiot, and despite trying to be more careful with the other trailing arm I cut into it worse. I didn't feel comfortable with it so I welded it and sanded it down

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

The trailing arm bushing went in very snug like the other side, but I need an honest opinion on if you guys would worry about this or replace the trailing arm. It's in a nice thick spot, but I'm not a pro welder and I doubt I penetrated very deep. These are cast from what I understand and I don't want it to crack and explode when I'm driving or something, I don't know if these things get insane load or if it's not that big of a deal

Also more cracks.

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

20 hours ago, ChrisO said:

I'm an absolute idiot, and despite trying to be more careful with the other trailing arm I cut into it worse. I didn't feel comfortable with it so I welded it and sanded it down

The trailing arm bushing went in very snug like the other side, but I need an honest opinion on if you guys would worry about this or replace the trailing arm. It's in a nice thick spot, but I'm not a pro welder and I doubt I penetrated very deep. These are cast from what I understand and I don't want it to crack and explode when I'm driving or something, I don't know if these things get insane load or if it's not that big of a deal

Also more cracks.

Honestly it should be fine. A nice piece of mind for you to have it welded, but sadly I have seen much worse on race cars that just send it.

On the other hand, that subframe mount totally needs to be repaired to prevent if from getting worse. Media blasting the area first prior to welding would be a very good idea. Where are you located? I can give you some suggestions based on your location..

5 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Honestly it should be fine. A nice piece of mind for you to have it welded, but sadly I have seen much worse on race cars that just send it.

On the other hand, that subframe mount totally needs to be repaired to prevent if from getting worse. Media blasting the area first prior to welding would be a very good idea. Where are you located? I can give you some suggestions based on your location..

Thanks for the input, I feel a bit better about the trailing arm. As far as the cracking trailing arm mounts go, I contacted a performance shop in Green Bay hoping they would let me help out with the job so it's done right, as they have never done something like this on a e36 before. Finding a shop who has done a trailing arm reinforcement job already would be ideal, so I'm open to anyone within an hour or so of Green Bay.

No problem at all to cut a little into the trailing arm.  The full RTAB reinforcement it is necessary to drop the gas tank but you can cut the front portion of the AKG plates off or just leave it there but not welded.  Either way works.  Hang a soggy towel over the gas tank to prevent melting.  I have done it that way with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Little update, I'm currently at school and finally got the car registered and drive it occasionally. The rtab bolt hole cracks I welded, and I have reinforcement plates that will go in this winter or spring. I gently drive the car to class or just around town a few days a week. Other then that it sits in my garage, but it's a blast and it's a very solid feeling car with the new BC's and poly rtab bushings on it.  

Here is a day before I left for school, I had just gotten a fresh alignment so I threw my Fikse Mach V's on

IMG_3078.JPG

I had about 1/2" of front wheel gap and -2.5 degrees of camber so I figured I might get some slight rubbing on corners and such. My old M3 had a way more agressive fitment with the rays then this, and I never had problems.

about 15 feet down my street I hit a bump while slightly turned and the fender hit the tire and literally bit a chunk out of the sidewall despite being mildly rolled. The Rivals are so soft that my fender is undamaged, but I guess I need a new tire and a pull on the front fenders 😐

IMG_3079.JPG

I know, another stellar update

here's some pics from some of my drives in Eau Claire back on DS2's/ a LTW wheel 😂

IMG_3137.JPG

My friend Evan and I took a trip to Mondovi for no reason one weekend, and I got a burger at Mondovi family restaurant.

WIBIMMERS food reviews: Don't go to Mondovi family restaurant. 

IMG_3244.png

IMG_3122.JPG

When I was in high school we got better food

IMG_3125.JPG

On 9/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, ChrisO said:

Last year I saw someone at Culvers off Brackett Ave with a WIBIMMERS T-shirt on that wasn't @Rekpoint 🤔

I live off water street 

You live off of Water within walking distance of Mogies and Dooleys and you went to Mondovi for food?  Come on!  If you're going to travel I'd go to Norske Nook in Osseo.  53 is a nice little drive from Eau Claire.