WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Steer me in the right direction

B C

Which Wheel?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wheel

• A
    • B
    • Dont even consider a cheap-ish steering wheel, for real, my uncle's neighbor got shot for using one
    • Mtech 1
    • Mtech 2
    • Suicide knob
    • C

Question

I have a non-airbag vert steering wheel in my E30 right now. I'd like to get something a little smaller diameter (360-370mm), and a little fatter.

I dont particularly love the M-technik steering wheels but I prefer the M-tech II wheel. They are priced like a dang S52 though so im not too keen on spending over $250 (normally they are $450+) for one.

Aftermarket stuff may be questionable in terms of rigidity/quality/fitment. I dont want something too close or too far away, or that has an adapter hub that makes it look gaudy.

My car is not a stripped racecar, its not pristinely buffed show car, its just an enthusiast's toy and I would just like for the wheel to be comfortable and not look horribly out of place.

I have only began looking but let me know what you can find, what info you may have on steering wheels, or any opinions.

I am completely new to this. 

A few I have found that may work/I dont hate

A) 

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIILANTE-MODENA-350-STEERING-WHEEL-PERFORATED-LEATHER-BLACK-STITCH-FITS-BMW-E30/292137619584?hash=item4404c25080:g:VQAAAOSwE0JY9sqL&vxp=mtr

B ) s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Sport-Deep-Dish-Silver-Spokes-Leather-Steering-Wheel-350MM-E28-E30-E34/162901758043?hash=item25edb3905b:g:Gb4AAOSwVF1aNEtO&vxp=mtr

C) mom-pro35bk2b_xl.jpg?rep=False

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mom-pro35bk2b/overview/

15 answers to this question

I've heard mostly positive things about Renown wheels, and I really like the look of their Clubsport and 130R wheels in particular. If I remember correctly, I think @straight6pwr has a Renown in his car so maybe he could weigh in as well.

http://www.renownusa.com/

You also need a hub adapter for these to work, it's about $80 for a MOMO one which seems to be the go-to for most people.

For the wheel itself, I'd stick to mainly name brand wheels like MOMO, sparco, OMP, Raid, etc. I've heard good things about Renown as well. 

I really like the 360mm Raid wheel mounted to a MOMO hub in my car (with an aluminum 10mm adapter in-between). Its very sturdy, and I like the style of the flatter face wheels. It's actually the same steering wheel as what came in most Lamborghini Countach's from the factory, but I just don't have the horn pad. Also, as a tall person, a more 'flat' wheel is at a comfortable distance from me though maybe still a little close to the turn signal/wiper stalks.  

32477324021_4fe98be340_c.jpg

For an E30, you'd want the MOMO #2006 wheel hub. They're technically designed for the non-airbag column but you can fit them with a spacer between the hub and a nut like any other non-airbag stock wheel. They're around $90 to buy new, but I got mine on ebay for about $60 as a new/open box item. Did a quick search and found this used one for $40 if you don't mind it being used. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-E30-Momo-Steering-Wheel-Hub/123001300491?hash=item1ca372e60b:g:q6QAAOSwtjtanKTA&vxp=mtr

I stumbled upon this Momo  while searching your suggestions and I like it a lot, still open for suggestions.

What happens to the turn signal cancel feature when you go with a non-OE wheel. Mine broke some time ago but im guessing the aftermarket wheels dont have a provision for those, correct?

mom-pro35bk2b_xl.jpg?rep=False

I would like to suggest looking into a Momo Corse wheel. I have had two of those in my time, and they are time-less, fit the hands well, come in almost any size and finish possible, and can be had for $100-150 with an adapter. The or Monte Carlo isnt a bad option either, I just think the proportions look odd to me.

Related image

With that said, I have a renown I bought from earl and it seems nice as well, just not as form fitting to the hands.. 

DO NOT buy a cheap steering wheel. Its one of the main interaction points of the car, and it also controls where you go; down the road or into that tree. I would try to "steer clear" of cheap ones.

i like my Renown wheel, and the quality is good. i was fairly concerned with keeping my car OEM looking, and i think it blends in well with everything else from the factory.

it has great ergonomics at 10/2 and 9/3, but not good across the spokes if you like to rest your hands there. the BMW horn button is a plus, as well. fits with a momo hub, turn signal cancel feature works still. it is strong, none of that ebay flexible crap.

you're welcome to fondle it.

LerHLik.jpg

10 minutes ago, snap said:

holy crap that Reknown wheel looks great!

I will probably wait til after the picnic to buy something because I fully intend on bugging the hell out of everyone at the picnic by fondling their stuff 

forgot to add that my goal was an mtech II substitute. freakin 350 for that crap. I paid $150 for one for the last e30.