WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine E30 Convertible Running Log

P_Roloff

It verks! Back to ticking away the miles. The check light in the cluster along with the ABS light both work now too, which is cool. Only took a decade 🙄.

Put a little over a hundred miles on it today while heading up to Devil’s lake to hike, did about 10 miles there in a little over four hours. It was an absolutely perfect day for it too.

BC4E8AAB-EA55-4FF7-9800-0FF5A92DE137.jpeg
4D835334-EE09-4B4C-A7AC-B2FC8F1EA632.jpeg

70CA4363-B67E-4213-8256-7B8FFBF052C4.jpeg

In other news, my brother picked up a 1970 Honda CL100 for $20 last year, and has been getting it running and back into streetable shape when he has the time for it. Tonight he got around to pulling the piston and cylinder, and figured out what the source of his oil consumption was. This is the compression ring, and he said it was all still in there thankfully. Bore isn’t scored either, I’m amazing it ran as well as it did like this. 

7E0FCDCB-7B3C-43FD-9339-AC15A5371CA9.jpeg

9 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

It verks! Back to ticking away the miles. The check light in the cluster along with the ABS light both work now too, which is cool. Only took a decade 🙄.

Put a little over a hundred miles on it today while heading up to Devil’s lake to hike, did about 10 miles there in a little over four hours. It was an absolutely perfect day for it too.

BC4E8AAB-EA55-4FF7-9800-0FF5A92DE137.jpeg
4D835334-EE09-4B4C-A7AC-B2FC8F1EA632.jpeg

70CA4363-B67E-4213-8256-7B8FFBF052C4.jpeg

In other news, my brother picked up a 1970 Honda CL100 for $20 last year, and has been getting it running and back into streetable shape when he has the time for it. Tonight he got around to pulling the piston and cylinder, and figured out what the source of his oil consumption was. This is the compression ring, and he said it was all still in there thankfully. Bore isn’t scored either, I’m amazing it ran as well as it did like this. 

7E0FCDCB-7B3C-43FD-9339-AC15A5371CA9.jpeg

It converted itself to 2 stroke!  Keeps the skeeters away.

• 1 month later...

Recently rolled past 201,000 miles. I haven’t been driving this as much as I should, but I haven’t been keeping it at my apartment and time to drive it is not as available as I’d like. 

About a month ago I installed the lowering springs and sport shocks I picked up from @timmer at the e30 picnic (thanks again!), and I’m really digging the new height and ride.

4C8E25FA-53AC-494A-886F-4CB5DE395D72.jpeg1B66E78F-7063-4C7A-B64A-E1962DECC7BD.jpeg3157BB7C-10D3-4552-8222-2CBDDE73BCDC.jpegF683A48C-F180-4BC9-96E5-0F0817554529.jpegAA9994D8-33FA-48A3-BCF7-8DADC6FE806F.jpegDefinitely firm, but not overly harsh or bouncy and very go-kart like. It’s a blast and so responsive, but I’ve been struggling with how low the oil pan now sits (truthfully, most of the reason I haven’t driven it much) so I decided to grab a skid plate from HIKFab thru bimmerworld along with a muffler hanger kit and some fresh front wheel bearings. If anyone here is capable with a welder and would be willing to install the skidplate for me, I would happily compensate you for it.

370F1792-1B83-4D3A-AC9D-D22A4FC4BD0B.jpeg

All that stuff will go on in a few weeks, and I’ll be (hopefully) back and ready to go for peak driving season. Then, it’ll be back apart for a new fuel tank, manual trans swap, diff swap, and subframe bushing replacement this winter.

Speaking of, if anyone has a lead on garage space or a decent storage facility that is preferably in the greater MKE area, let me know. I can make Madison work too, but the closer to Pewaukee the better. Heated and with electric would be a plus, but not necessary. Would rent year round and use for storage and wrenching.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, vbhargava said:

I’ve always wanted to try an X-brace to see if it would tighten up the car a little bit, maybe I’ll get one after the skidplate is installed and see if it fits. Did you notice a difference? If they won’t work together, I might try my hand a fabricating my own brace around the plate.

Right now the oil pan protection is a higher priority, with how much driving I do on broken pavement and unpredictable surfaces I need to have that peace of mind. I wince every time I drive over a large pavement heave or even a slightly protruding manhole cover now, and that sucks. I don’t want to have to care as much and just drive the damn thing. 

8 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

I’ve always wanted to try an X-brace to see if it would tighten up the car a little bit, maybe I’ll get one after the skidplate is installed and see if it fits. Did you notice a difference? If they won’t work together, I might try my hand a fabricating my own brace around the plate.

Right now the oil pan protection is a higher priority, with how much driving I do on broken pavement and unpredictable surfaces I need to have that peace of mind. I wince every time I drive over a large pavement heave or even a slightly protruding manhole cover now, and that sucks. I don’t want to have to care as much and just drive the damn thing. 

My X brace was installed prior to my ownership so I havnt really run without coilovers, x brace and strut tower brace. From my understanding the e30 verts are known to be much more flexible and I dont feel that way about my car...if that helps. 

New ride height looks perfect! 

On 7/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, P_Roloff said:

Speaking of, if anyone has a lead on garage space or a decent storage facility that is preferably in the greater MKE area, let me know. I can make Madison work too, but the closer to Pewaukee the better. Heated and with electric would be a plus, but not necessary. Would rent year round and use for storage and wrenching.

Speaking from experience, the farter away from the city you can be the better. You'll find much bigger options for a lot less money if you can be out of the Milwaukee metro area. Small shop spaces like two car garages and such where wrenching is allowed are out there but it takes some searching. I found all three of my rental garages through craigslist, so that or marketplace is probably the best bet (if you can wade through all the crap on there).