WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine E30 Convertible Running Log

P_Roloff

Just now, snap said:

List everything you have checked/replaced
And which parts are Uro parts

Alright, here goes:

- o2 sensor replaced

- All tune-up parts replaced (cap, rotor, wires)

- It’s been smoke tested twice, the first time I found that the blind plugs were leaking and the second time I found that the valve cover had a slight leak along with a disconnected charcoal canister line

- ICV has been cleaned and checked, it is as far as I know functional, it buzzes when the key is turned and moves relatively freely.

- No Uro parts lol

So that’s where I’m at. I’m getting a low idle issue, it sputters and almost dies when returning to idle, hesitated just off idle, but pulls hard and strong everywhere else.

I also just did the stomp test, there are no codes (it flashed 1444 back at me). 

Oddly enough, it started and idled nearly perfectly today. Before I started it I just pushed the throttle to full, then back to idle with the car off a couple times to see if I could hear or feel the contacts in the TPS. So that’s probably the next plan of attack, making sure the TPS is good and in adjustment. 

Ive had an M20 TPS with an intermittent bad contact before. It would pass the continuity test 7 out of 10 times.

You should also get a mark D chip, some rebuilt 19# Design III Injectors and some headers while you are trying to fix your idle.
It wont help the idle but it will be fun

5 hours ago, snap said:

Ive had an M20 TPS with an intermittent bad contact before. It would pass the continuity test 7 out of 10 times.

You should also get a mark D chip, some rebuilt 19# Design III Injectors and some headers while you are trying to fix your idle.
It wont help the idle but it will be fun

Yeah, I’m debating whether I should just spring for a new one or try to clean and adjust the one that’s on there. 

Chip, headers and injectors would be nice, I really should make sure the injectors are good anyways. The only thing with headers though is that most of them won’t fit an automatic for some reason. I think front suspension and maybe a z3 rack are gonna come before any of that though. 

Mini-kinda-sorta-maybe-update:

I feel like if it snows again, I’m gonna catch the ban hammer from @snap, but oh well. 520A9FF7-AB06-4D7D-A016-AC213BDE9035.jpegE575FF68-D11F-4E64-9DA3-F6B134E1BABE.jpegFEF06266-700F-45BE-9895-0D442D9FD97B.jpeg

I think this is the first time I’ve ever driven the car with snow on the ground. Salt be damned I guess.

I’ve also put nearly 300 miles on in three days of driving, so that’s something. Sadly, tomorrow is probably going to be the last day it gets exercised until late may, gotta finish up the rest of the school year. 

• 2 months later...

Another small update:

Finally got the cruise control working, the speed sensor wire was just disconnected from the cluster. I also put a newer, nicer motor module thing in that I picked up from @Jdesign awhile back. Thanks again! Got a new battery as well a few days ago, the old one was junk after only 4 years but they still gave me some money for the warranty so I’m not too upset. 

Otherwise, I’ve just been enjoying driving it. According to the OBC, I’m averaging around 20mpg too, which is the best of the 5 cars my family has at the moment. 

Next on the list is repairing the leak at the filler neck of the fuel tank, doing another smoke test to check for any more vacuum leaks, maybe trying to tackle repairing the rear seat, and disassembling/cleaning/greasing/repairing the front seats. 

I also rolled over 193k!

39 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Congrats on actually trying, let alone succeeding. The cruise in my TI hasn't worked since I bought it. Troubleshooting has been limited to....um.... yeah, kinda never really did anything about it, despite the fact that I drive 100 miles each way to the shop and back most weekends....

I feel that. It hasn’t worked for over 10 years in this car, I guess I was the first one to care enough about it to try haha. If you even get around to it, I think I have an e36 control stalk laying around if that turns out to be the issue. 

Another small update.

The faded and worn rockers have bugged me for as long as I can remember, so I finally decided to tackle refinishing them. I did a bit of research on what to use, and finally decided to just use SEM trim black over something like bedliner or a rubberized undercoating. I wasn’t really sure what lengths I should go to for prep work (i.e. whether I need an adhesion promoter, primer, or something else) so I just scuffed with 400 grit per the can instructions and went over it quite a few times with a degreaser. I guess we’ll see how well it holds up.

In case anyone was wondering, the black spots above the rockers are POR-15 that was used around 5 years ago when the trim strips were pulled off and rust was found underneath. I just wire wheeled the rust off and coated it, it’s covered by the trim so I figured it didn’t matter much. It does look gross with the trim off though, I’ll take some pics tomorrow with the trim reinstalled.

Pics:

F0585550-A561-45DB-BA93-1DE9B591C85B.jpegD7D2D667-2444-4F75-B9F2-54C7A50C93CF.jpegAAE216F4-0155-4A14-9B6B-B01D262DEA89.jpeg2C4EFDA1-3A1E-46CD-B63A-B6F75967BC97.jpeg66274E6C-EBC7-469B-B361-D75FA89EBDB4.jpeg9D6A0EF2-A0EE-45ED-AF5B-D55D432FA330.jpeg4DAE790B-310A-406E-83F5-D06508C5A20E.jpeg93A9ACDF-6F00-406F-AA97-EB5774FDD42F.jpeg9497A0CA-6989-4A9F-9E51-B5AB6E38815B.jpeg5A4C15CB-A3AF-404A-8DDB-49EB0AF859B9.jpeg

27ADB5EC-6B18-4ABA-8458-B50ACF9B682A.jpeg

E331583A-D4C1-439B-8D53-40423237F43B.jpeg

404E38B8-B5FE-4390-B73A-0822FF50FD14.jpeg

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

We use that paint all the time on prototypes at my work. Its really nice stuff.

Yeah, I really liked it. What I liked even more is that the auto body supply shop off Fish Hatchery Rd. that I bought this stuff from has a whole rack of different SEM paints, and they’re cheaper than on Amazon or anywhere else I could find. 

11 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, I really liked it. What I liked even more is that the auto body supply shop off Fish Hatchery Rd. that I bought this stuff from has a whole rack of different SEM paints, and they’re cheaper than on Amazon or anywhere else I could find. 

That's where we get it. They delivery to us weekly. :) 

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

and don't forget its really good quality - it sprays nice, covers evenly and is very durable. i've sprayed basically every trim piece of my e30 with this stuff with great success.

7XDPZoJ.jpg

I see you have the headlight trim rings there-do you like the look painted black? I’m on the fence on whether to keep the silver or go black. 

33 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

I see you have the headlight trim rings there-do you like the look painted black? I’m on the fence on whether to keep the silver or go black. 

all my headlights are smoked, so it's necessary. for regular headlights, both work nice. it seems unnecessary to buy silver paint since you have the black already.