WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Rocker Panel Molding

AlpineE30

Question

Hey All!

Just hoping to pick your brains on the rocker panel molding for the Vert.  I have been having a super tough time finding used parts and genuine parts are about $140/side.  I was originally planning on doing skirts, but may stick with the more stock look. 

Has anyone used a more generic option? I was looking into...

https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/body-side-moldings/mdg108/9/

image.png

image.png

5 answers to this question

I would head to a junkyard and pick up some used stock molding. If you don't have a junkyard near you with the parts you need, I'd look around for people parting out verts on craigslist or local forums/facebook groups and pick some up that way. It'll definitely be cheaper than buying the new stuff, and it's gonna look better than that stick on stuff. I'd also go online and buy new clips for it too to ensure that the new stuff doesn't come flying off on the highway after a week or something. 

Edit: My bad, I didn't see where you mentioned not being able to find used parts. That's tough then, if it was me I'd probably just keep hunting for used trim. I think you're probably not gonna like the way that stick on stuff comes out and I kinda doubt it'll last, $65 seems like a lot for what that is.

1 hour ago, P_Roloff said:

I would head to a junkyard and pick up some used stock molding. If you don't have a junkyard near you with the parts you need, I'd look around for people parting out verts on craigslist or local forums/facebook groups and pick some up that way. It'll definitely be cheaper than buying the new stuff, and it's gonna look better than that stick on stuff. I'd also go online and buy new clips for it too to ensure that the new stuff doesn't come flying off on the highway after a week or something. 

Edit: My bad, I didn't see where you mentioned not being able to find used parts. That's tough then, if it was me I'd probably just keep hunting for used trim. I think you're probably not gonna like the way that stick on stuff comes out and I kinda doubt it'll last, $65 seems like a lot for what that is.

That's what I was concerned about too. I don't want it to come out ugly I did find similar stuff on Amazon for half the price, so I may jut pick it up and see. It may be a decent temporary fix while I look for genuine.

It's tough to hunt down used parts for verts and the guys working at junk yards are less than helpful over the phone.  I called my local yard and they told me they didn't have any BMW's in that age range only for me to go out there and find 5, 1 being a vert. 

2 minutes ago, AlpineE30 said:

That's what I was concerned about too. I don't want it to come out ugly I did find similar stuff on Amazon for half the price, so I may jut pick it up and see. It may be a decent temporary fix while I look for genuine.

It's tough to hunt down used parts for verts and the guys working at junk yards are less than helpful over the phone.  I called my local yard and they told me they didn't have any BMW's in that age range only for me to go out there and find 5, 1 being a vert. 

Yeah, if you can get it cheap enough it might be worth a shot. I’ll keep an eye out for you too, if I find anything I’ll let you know.