WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Re-engaging in the community!

AJK430

Was friends with some of you guys before this forum blew up got locked out of my account probably due to inactivity or just lost the username and password. 

I'm Austin, out of Oshkosh, WI. I've got a bunch of BMW stuff going on to where I thought it would be senseless to not share and engage with the community and ask and answer questions. I'm a pilot by trade have been working on airplanes and cars for some time.

I've got my fair share of projects going on for work, however, playing with cars is primary past time.

I'm always collecting tools, buying and selling and trading parts etc...

As of now, I'm working on two e30's and an e36 m3.

This is my '86 325e. M20B27 is on the way out and she'll be getting the S52B32 out of the 99 M3, along with 5 lug conversion and plenty of other cool bits while I'm at it...

IMG_7464.JPG

Also working on this... will need help finding someone with the bits and technique to do the bodywork, if even repairable otherwise will part out...

1991 325ix in otherwise perfect shape if it hadn't been for this dudes daughter rear-ending a semi. Fortunately, all of the damage to the front is above the main frame rails and the title is clean...

00Y0Y_5qwHKFARPu0_600x450.jpg

00q0q_4drwpcQCKio_600x450.jpg

00e0e_fHhmI3xuaJZ_600x450 (1).jpg

For now, id like some advice as to whether or not you think the ix is salvageable, some contacts to quote the bodywork (id prefer someone with e30 experience to have it completed properly)

Ill start independent threads when I really get going on both of them... 

In the meantime, I'm always selling and trading parts and ill have a bunch of e30 stuff including some m20's complete and or parted, as well as a bunch of e36 m3 stuff since I bought the whole car to do the swap and will sell odd bits off her.

IMG_7984[4584].jpg

31 minutes ago, AJK430 said:

As of now, I'm working on two e30's and an e36 m3.

Me too!! Welcome!

To me, assuming the frame is straight, that looks very fixable, especially if the frame-rails are untouched. Even if the frame is tweaked, it wouldn't be too hard to have it straightened. I have some E30 front end repair experience... this was my car after I smacked a deer 2.5 years ago:

20589422160_726d2d6394_c.jpg

Check my build thread for my repair process. I'm far from a professional, but with fairly limited tools and resources I was able to do a pretty decent job of repairing the car on my own. Repairs more or less start here:

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a new genuine BMW core support. They're pricey (just under $400) but very worth it as it dictates the alignment of nearly all the front end panels. 

19 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Me too!! Welcome!

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a new genuine BMW core support. They're pricey (just under $400) but very worth it as it dictates the alignment of nearly all the front end panels. 

Thanks! Mine appears to be just a bit worse off but very well comparable. Another guy reached out to me and his was much worse and he is putting it back on the road. This is the solid type of advice I'm looking for. I agree with this and will plan to do that. So far I've collected OEM front fenders, and a hood all off the same car but they're champagne colored. Plan to repaint the thing regardless however. As well as an Mtech Lower but I may end up using that on my 86.

1 hour ago, stealthbimmer said:

So how much did you pay for the ix if you dont mind telling . The guy was originally asking a crackhead price.

I was the guy with the crackhead price.... because a guy offered me $3500, paid me on paypal then asked for his money back. Im not an asshole so I gave him his money back posted it back up for $3500 since a few people told me its worth at least that in parts as well as the parts I had already collected to repair it... Then a few more folks told me its repairable so I think ill keep it. 

I bought the car in Seattle and had it shipped here. Most IX's that aren't rotted out are in Denver or Seattle.

Ill hold no offense to your comment, I just went with where the market brought me. You should take a look and see what clean IX's are pulling if you can find one. I've seen rusty ones with better than 200,000 on the clock asking 10-12k. Yes there are runner/drivers out there with rust and a bunch of miles for 2-5k. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xzek0necpi12mnl/AAB_pQEHsSr6UUpZiHk_XnQEa

To all of those expressing interest in e36 m3 parts, ill have more pics when I bust her out of storage again.

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, AsparagusMike said:

Welcome back! You won't remember me by username but I am the guy who bought that tranny off you from your 86 way back when. What happened to the original plans to do an LS swap?

Yeah I recall! You get that in? Im still looking for those poly bushings you had if you still had them. Negative on the LS, while it might have been way cheaper im still a huge OEM/Straight 6 fan and couldn't find the courage to alter the car in that fashion. I still have to get that car out of that POS garage and down to my hangar... that should be fun. 

7 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Welcome! 
Do you do any mountain riding? Your commuter / Gravel X bike requires me to inquire. 

GunMetalGrey, I think you bought that 89is from me a bunch of years ago. We traded some parts and wheels or something also I don't totally recall. Yeah, its an older Specialized Tri-Cross set up for mountain/gravel right now. It works well on hard packed mud/gravel, just have to work a bit harder on the asphalt... its a trade-off. It might be for sale too. It's a 56CM frame, I'm looking for an all road bike now that I've moved back here from out west.

22 minutes ago, AJK430 said:

GunMetalGrey, I think you bought that 89is from me a bunch of years ago. We traded some parts and wheels or something also I don't totally recall. Yeah, its an older Specialized Tri-Cross set up for mountain/gravel right now. It works well on hard packed mud/gravel, just have to work a bit harder on the asphalt... its a trade-off. It might be for sale too. It's a 56CM frame, I'm looking for an all road bike now that I've moved back here from out west.

Hot damn man, it's been awhile! 
I actually just sold that car at the end of summer, it was quite a bit different from when I bought it from you! 

Nooo! You can't convert back to a roadie! Just have to travel a bit for the hills! 

1 minute ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Hot damn man, it's been awhile! 
I actually just sold that car at the end of summer, it was quite a bit different from when I bought it from you! 

Nooo! You can't convert back to a roadie! Just have to travel a bit for the hills! 

Right, yeah I haven't done too much with cars besides get that 86 to where its at and maintain my Audi. The 86 I bought in 2014 from a guy that brought it up with him when he moved from Texas and it was a grandma car with blown struts, faded paint and a shot interior but rust free and straight otherwise.

13 hours ago, AJK430 said:

Yeah I recall! You get that in? Im still looking for those poly bushings you had if you still had them. Negative on the LS, while it might have been way cheaper im still a huge OEM/Straight 6 fan and couldn't find the courage to alter the car in that fashion. I still have to get that car out of that POS garage and down to my hangar... that should be fun. 

Not in yet, working on fixing and refreshing a few things on the car before the motor goes in. Still got the bushings, shoot me a message and we can discuss bidness.

59 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

In for S52 swap progress posts. Do you have a timeline for that? Would be an awesome addition to see at the E30 picnic in May

No idea. As always the delicate balance of time and money. I can try to bust ass to make it happen... it’s not unrealistic, just keep pushing me along! Hahaha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...