WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hayden's Stock 325i Build Thread

basedspider

So last weekend I went to MN with Rekpoint and my brother to pick up a bone stock, 100k mile 1994 BMW 325i sedan from the second owner. Runs and drives like a top and smells like classic 90's BMW leather. 

20171125_163009.jpg

As of now, things I know don't function well are, the stock head unit cuts out after a little bit, the windshield wiper stalk broke off, and the thermostat is stuck open. I already have new blue bmw coolant coming, a new thermostat with a metal housing (bc fuck stock bmw coolant system plastic), a new head unit, a ebay performance chip (i know, but its 30$ and I wanna see if it does anything), and a new full windshield wiper switch to go into the column.

20171129_162839.jpg

I successfully pulled the stock head unit tonight, and tomorrow I am going to be going to Rekpoints house to pick up a spare radio he said he has laying around. I already have a new kenwood on the way, but this will tide me over for now. Either my head unit is shot or I have a sad wiring problem, which would fucking suck. Wish me luck!

Doesn’t hurt to test the tstat in some hot water before installing it. Just to make sure it works.

I imagine the eBay chip won’t do anything noticeable, but for $30 it will force you to make sure the DME compartment doesn’t have any surprises in it. Don’t install the chip backwards either lol.

Good time to check the serp belt as well & the stock expansion tank for cracks

I’m surprised it has both fogs lol

It’s probably not a bad idea to change diff fluid/trans fluid/oil too.

I've had an ebay chip make the car run absolutely terrible too so don't be surprised if that occurs. 

Looks like a good mostly unmolested starting platform for a build or a nice car to clean up and enjoy as it is. Any plans to refresh the old, tired bushings?

I'm assuming the seats are tan based on the color of the dash? 

11 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Doesn’t hurt to test the tstat in some hot water before installing it. Just to make sure it works.

I imagine the eBay chip won’t do anything noticeable, but for $30 it will force you to make sure the DME compartment doesn’t have any surprises in it. Don’t install the chip backwards either lol.

Good time to check the serp belt as well & the stock expansion tank for cracks

I’m surprised it has both fogs lol

It’s probably not a bad idea to change diff fluid/trans fluid/oil too.

Yup! All i really wanted out of it was a higher rev limiter, so even if it only does just that i'll be happy. And oil looks good and doesnt leak anything, but ill have to look over the diff and trans fluid.

9 hours ago, Earl said:

I've had an ebay chip make the car run absolutely terrible too so don't be surprised if that occurs. 

Looks like a good mostly unmolested starting platform for a build or a nice car to clean up and enjoy as it is. Any plans to refresh the old, tired bushings?

I'm assuming the seats are tan based on the color of the dash? 

Yeah current plan is exhaust, intake, coilovers until i can find more things i wanna change. Once my ti sells ill be ordering coilovers and welding a muffler delete.

And yup, full interior is tan. Love it!

You don't want a total muffler delete.  It will be fun for about 2 days.  I made something that looks like the Rouge DMS.  It sounds great but I don't have anything that would record it with any hint of quality.  The mufflers were 55$ shipped from Heartthrob.  There are some pictures in my thread.  The pipe I used was EMT conduit from the scrap bin at work but it could be done nicer.  This car has 280k on it...

http://heartthrobexhaust.com/glasspacksandflowpacks.htm  I think I used 2612501 they are made in Minnesota and the quality is significantly better than cheapo mufflers like Thrush you find at your local parts store for the same price.  They also offer stainless of the same thingfor about 70$ each I think.

You don't want a total muffler delete.  It will be fun for about 2 days.  I made something that looks like the Rouge DMS.  It sounds great but I don't have anything that would record it with any hint of quality.  The mufflers were 55$ shipped from Heartthrob.  There are some pictures in my thread.  The pipe I used was EMT conduit from the scrap bin at work but it could be done nicer.  This car has 280k on it...

http://heartthrobexhaust.com/glasspacksandflowpacks.htm  I think I used 2612501 they are made in Minnesota and the quality is significantly better than cheapo mufflers like Thrush you find at your local parts store for the same price.  They also offer stainless of the same thingfor about 70$ each I think.

I think I convinced him to get a used Manzo Catback for 75$ instead.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Snap said:

post a redline clutch dump video soon please

I might be able to do that ;)

22 hours ago, Earl said:

What coilovers and intake are you looking at? I would highly recommend an AFE intake and if you wanted a true exhaust, the Rogue Engineering DMS is one of the best options out there. 

I didnt have an idea of what intake I wanted, I was gonna look for them more after my Ti sells. And I would be getting raceland ultimos. I know, i know racelands arent the best but I lived with Rokkors in my Ti, which are pretty much the same as racelands, so I dont have any beef with them.

Are you wanting to go mega low?  You might be better off with just lowering springs and good shocks.  You will end up with an excellent ride and not be too expensive.  I have Eibach shocks/springs and it rides great and is low enough.  Lot's of people do H&R springs with Bilsteins too.

Just throwing another option out there.  You can also expect a good shock spring combo to last for many years and miles where cheap coilovers likely will only last a few years, especially in our nasty winter climate.

I have some Bilstein rear shocks that don't look pretty but seem to work ok that you can have for free if you want them.  They need new upper mounts.  I live on the IA/MN border on I35, I think you mentioned you weren't far from Minnesota.

17 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Are you wanting to go mega low?  You might be better off with just lowering springs and good shocks.  You will end up with an excellent ride and not be too expensive.  I have Eibach shocks/springs and it rides great and is low enough.  Lot's of people do H&R springs with Bilsteins too.

Just throwing another option out there.  You can also expect a good shock spring combo to last for many years and miles where cheap coilovers likely will only last a few years, especially in our nasty winter climate.

I have some Bilstein rear shocks that don't look pretty but seem to work ok that you can have for free if you want them.  They need new upper mounts.  I live on the IA/MN border on I35, I think you mentioned you weren't far from Minnesota.

I really appreciate the offer, but I am pretty dead set on coilovers. Im going to go 2 inch drop until the summer where I will go 3-4.

45 minutes ago, basedspider said:

And I would be getting raceland ultimos. I know, i know racelands arent the best but I lived with Rokkors in my Ti, which are pretty much the same as racelands, so I dont have any beef with them.

I ran Rokkors on my compact back in the day so I'm no stranger to them. I also ran Raceland Ultimos on my e36 coupe so I'm not really against them for a budget coilover. I just didn't know if you were planning on just slamming the car or if you were going for something that was going to handle well and be performance oriented. I'll be running Stance coilovers on my compact drift car next year.

IMG_537811_zpsn3ngmyvg.jpg
FB_IMG_1492393526300_zpsykqsmmed.jpg

I had the Ultimos on the front of my car at this point and the rear setup was 18k rear springs from BC with 97 Mustang GT rear shocks. I really needed a set of rear shocks properly valved for such stiff springs but the Raceland springs were way too soft to run that low with that fitment. The mustang shocks are shorter and stiffer than the Raceland shocks so I needed them for having any suspension travel at all at that height. 

4 hours ago, Earl said:

I just didn't know if you were planning on just slamming the car or if you were going for something that was going to handle well and be performance oriented.

Yeah I am going for both low, and better performance than stock. I wanna hit corners and look good doin it like in my compact, if you get what I'm saying.

Well today was half-successful! I got my wibimmers sticker that Rekpoint gave me (Thanks! :D) on my car, pictured here:
20171203_130805.jpg

Then I put on a manzo catback exhaust I picked up on the 2nd :)

20171203_130814.jpg

20171203_155026.jpg

20171203_161332.jpg

A little more quiet than I expected but thats okay :) It is substantially lighter and makes my M50 sound fantastic!
Only reason today was only half success was that I did not get around to the thermostat today, thats going to get done on Friday.

Well today was half-successful! I got my wibimmers sticker that Rekpoint gave me (Thanks! :D) on my car, pictured here:

20171203_130805.jpg

Then I put on a manzo catback exhaust I picked up on the 2nd [emoji4]

20171203_130814.jpg

20171203_155026.jpg

20171203_161332.jpg

A little more quiet than I expected but thats okay [emoji4] It is substantially lighter and makes my M50 sound fantastic!

Only reason today was only half success was that I did not get around to the thermostat today, thats going to get done on Friday.

Are the rings in the exhaust silencers? Possibly try to remove them. You didn't even show off the overpriced backpack!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey all! Well I got a lot done today last night. Forgot to take a lot of photos, but I got a few little pics.
20171209_200108.jpg

I fixed my windshield wiper stalk!! Whole new assembly in there, and its working great.
20171209_200138.jpg

There is the new thermostat housing, and there's a new thermostat in there. It is running great now and up to temp, perfect for winter drifts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! It has been a little bit since I have posted on here, but I actually picked up some Raceland Ultimos from @stealthbimmer and threw the coils on my car. I did the full coilover in front and just replaced the springs in the back, left the bilstein shocks on.

Snapchat-1942518083.mp4

Here is the car after getting the coils on. 

20171227_214048.jpg

20171228_200729.jpg20171228_200737.jpg

And also im a fucking dumbass and fucked up my fender. Only do that once...

Snapchat-1426665394.jpg