WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

UPDATE 

Taped off and painted the subframe/strut bracing. Man was it a pain in the ass and Im not completely happy with it but it will do for now. Mostly not happy with how there is no way to match the barely painted interior where I sprayed it silver.

20180402_192736.jpg

Also got the dash skin installed with the steering column. I need to wait on fully finishing the dash as I have some wiring and other modifications to take care of yet. But its starting to look more like a car with the dash in! Also worth noting that this car came with grey interior and this dash is the one from my 330i. Really need (want) to find some black door panels but holy shit does everyone want an arm and left nut for them.

20180402_193547.jpg

The rear trailing arms are completely finished as well. 

Hubs were redrilled to 5x114.3, hoping to have the wheels done soon to show you all! Brand new upper ball joints and lower bushings were installed along with new wheel bearings. Had both arms powdercoated satin black and topped them off with 90mm motorsport hardware studs (might have been a little excessive on the length lol) and the final tough was some syncro design works RTABS. (such a quality looking and feeling product, super hyped on those!)

Also I cant take credit for the second caliper bracket install but they are weld on tabs, previous owner of my 330i did them. These are the rear arms from the 330, and it will also be getting the front knuckles and brakes from the 330.

20180405_181759.jpg

Andd got the rear trailing arms, upper and lower rear arms along with the new Stance true rear coilovers.

20180405_202620.jpg

20180405_202647.jpg

Fabbed up this harness bar as well with the help of @SamHolzmann and @WildBill burned in the brackets that I made for the support rods. The support rods are from a nrg harness bar. Reason for making one is NO ONE offers a reasonably priced harness bar and the end goal for this car will be a caged (down the road of course) so this will do for now for sure!

20180408_195501.jpg

20180408_195523.jpg

20180408_195554.jpg

Sam painted all of my calipers and brackets in the same color as the engine bay (we used a high heat primer) then I Drilled out the new rear rotors to fit the new lug pattern and got the rear calipers installed. I used the condor speed shop rear stainless brake lines, just need to run the other stainless lines for the standalone master on the ASD handbrake that i have from the 330.

20180407_185926.jpg

20180408_200143.jpg

And finally I was able to throw some of the left front suspension togeather. I repainted the MG Solutions angle kit, also repainted the knuckles. Still waiting on new hub bearings for the fronts and they will need to be redrilled to 5x114 as well. Needed to get this all togeather to see if I needed extended brake lines or if the stock length condor ones would fit (as i was informed they would with the angle kit and the 330i had stock lines). Well just as my luck goes they wont work. So those are in the process of being exchanged for the lengthened ones.

20180408_200543.jpg

9 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

I'm impressed with the progress of this. You should splurge on some new anti rattle clips for those calipers, everything else looks so nice!

Thanks! And I totally forgot about them until I put the brakes togeather lol, so it may happen. So much more to do yet!

UPDATE

Finally fabbed up a hand brake bracket (just need to get some nice bolts for final assembly). Also got the lines made and routed for the dual calipers as well and I am super happy with the way it came out.

20180412_182121.jpg

20180414_151841.jpg

20180414_152001.jpg

20180414_145009.jpg

20180414_145040.jpg

20180414_151616.jpg

20180414_145154.jpg

20180414_145205.jpg

20180414_145227.jpg

As you can see I got the rear Condor stainless lines in as well. 

Also wrapped up all of the interior harness with split loom and that changed the entire look of the interior for me.

20180414_201022.jpg

20180414_201029.jpg

20180414_201046.jpg

20180414_201055.jpg

Also got the driveshaft installed with new guibo and center support bearing. The condor trans mounts came from the 33oi which I had installed last season as well.

20180410_193915.jpg

20180410_193929.jpg

49 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

wow dude, great progress. Fabrication is foreign to me, I only know how to take things apart and put them back together. 

Haha thanks! And I can't take all the credit. I can do fab stuff but I have alot of good friends to help as well.

21 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Damn looking good!!! Those stainless hydro lines are awesome, is there a reason you didnt run hardlines?  I assume this route was more expensive. 

With the hydro getting so much pressure so quickly it is better to have a little give in the lines. That's what I've read and been told as well. Could be just a myth but if I was to hardline anything it would be the interior part since the lines under the car need a flex point either way.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Ill be honest with you guys I feel like this update will not be as in depth as it should. With my deadline for the weekend of May 19th quickly approaching a lot of work needed to get done and I slacked a bit on taking photos.

Chase Bays power steering resiviour, lines and cooler installed (Had this on my 330i previously.)

20180422_134551.jpg

20180422_134658.jpg

Rebuilt my vanos with new seals and the anti rattle kit from Beisan.

20180419_183242.jpg

New radiator mounts strapped to the new CSF radiator.

20180419_202757.jpg

Got the dash installed and with that came a lot of progress getting all the wiring under the dash and etc figured out.

Also installed this Parts Shop Maxx engine vitals gauge. The one i went with has settings for oil pressure and coolant temp along with voltage. Awesome little gauge for the price i must say. Also in this pic you can see where i removed the DSC button and the panel there and made a carbon panel to go into place.

20180422_200657.jpg

Made floor plates thanks to the help of @Sam_Holzmann and another friend.

20180429_205039.jpg

20180501_201404_001.jpg

Now onto something I am not super proud of but with the price of black door panels in these cars I decided to clean them up and use interior paint to make them black LOL. I must say they turned out really well. Also re-wrapped the arm rest panels along with the A pillars (I dont have a photo) Was also able to transfer over the Harmon Kardon speakers and amp from my 330 into the car.

20180426_213643.jpg

And got the car running!!

20180428_235033.jpg

Had some serious time consuming hiccups with this. First was the expansion tank rubbing on the power steering pulley due to the thicker radiator. Really suerprised that CSF doesnt have a solution for that but we were able to shave some plastic and make clearance for the pulley.

Then there was some odd clacking coming from what sounded like the intake on start up and went away after awhile. Was a very intermittent problem as well. Also was throwing multiple misfire codes and misfire on start up codes.

After chasing the problem trying multiple different things we found that a hose came disconnected under the manifold causing a gigantic vacuum leak. Once that was fixed the car idled awesome and everything was looking great.

Now onto the wheels. To be completely honest the build was running out of time and money so i used the ole rattle can on my wheel faces.

20180421_184445.jpg

And I sanded the lips to prep them for a friend who is able to polish much more efficently than I am able to.

With new valve stems and new hardware installed I was able to get the wheels together, get tires and have them mounted pretty quickly.

20180502_220643.jpg

Wheels are SSR Vienna Courages, 18x8 +37, 18x9 +37 and to be honest I had no idea how they were going to fit the car because by the time I had my re drilled hubs on the car I had the wheels apart to refinish them.

Id say it worked out pretty damn well for guessing.

20180505_001458.jpg

Next up was the daunting task of aligning the car which we did all in shop (its damn close to straight and even). With everything being completely adjustable in the rear and front it was quite interesting, but we got it.

Finished up some things in the engine bay like all the seals and etc. Also have the radium catch can installed but I have it routed not the way they intended as I dont have a CCv and it is meant to work with the CCV, Id like to get one and hook it up correctly in the near future though.

20180509_213140.jpg

Took the car for a drive and ran into some issues... the m54b30 which was from my 330i had a flash tune from RK-Tunes. Everything was done correctly wiring wise other wise I know the car would nit have started. When driving the car it was rev limited at around 5200 RPM. Tried a few things including swapping a MAF with no luck. After doing some research I figured out that it may be because the cars ABS was completely removed and the cluster no longer has a module to talk to. With that being said I emailed Jordan at RK-Tunes knowing that with my past experiences along with a friends there was a good chance I would not get an email in the time frame that I needed to. So while talking to someone on a facebook page I came across the fact that he also does flash tunes. He runs a website that he sells his own products as well as comissions other peoples products that they have specially made for these cars but have not broken through to the big companies. His name is Mike Dodge from Seemslegitgarage.com . So he hooked me up with an all new DME, ews deleted and tuned to my specific needs for this chassis and build. I swapped the DMEs and drove the car and BAMMM were in business. While Jordan may be a great tuner he lacks in customer service and Mike promised me he prides himself on making sure he is there for customer support. 

Still some finishing touches to touch on but the car is running, driving and now at home where i can work on it more frequently without driving to the shop.

20180510_194021.jpg

Also a big thanks to @Earl for gifting me the Euro M3 style roof extension for the rear window!

20180510_194047.jpg

20180510_194216.jpg

20180510_194230.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jdesign said:

I agree, I cant wait to see it in action!

USAIR DD71 this weekend! Made it to the dells and back with only a problem with my engine vitals gauge reading 12psi with the engine off and 145 psi at like 35 mph which isn't even possible to my knowledge lol.

19 hours ago, Tkuhn said:

USAIR DD71 this weekend! Made it to the dells and back with only a problem with my engine vitals gauge reading 12psi with the engine off and 145 psi at like 35 mph which isn't even possible to my knowledge lol.

Is that boost or oil pressure? LMAO  I totally want to go, but I have plans this weekend. 😕 Keep us posted and take lots of pics out there!!

5 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Is that boost or oil pressure? LMAO  I totally want to go, but I have plans this weekend. 😕 Keep us posted and take lots of pics out there!!

Oil pressure hahahah and will do sometimes I forget to take photos because it's too much fun driving. Hoping all goes well and everything stays mechanically sound 

Swapped out my valve cover tonight. The one I had on the car has roughly 200k on it and leaked when under high revving for extended periods of time last year, aka drifting lol. 

A big thank you to @Earl for picking it up for me since I work till 430!

20180523_183411.jpg

Also raised the rear a bit so it isn't as sacked out in the rear.

20180523_210034.jpg