WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

small update:

Installed the shift pin and detent pin repair kit last night. Then got the trans into the car along with everything I had to take off to pull it. The clutch works correctly now lol. So the car is back on the ground. 

IMG_20190412_235747_482.jpg

Also I finished the Frankenstein mirrors that a friend from Instagram told me I could make. It's a combination of some aftermarket e46 base plates and a Nissan style mirror. He didn't want me to completely share his secret though haha.

Although these are proably a level 15 on a scale to ten for wrapping I still attempted it. Not 100% happy with it but I'd say I did okay.

20190411_202902.jpg

And here's a pic installed on the car.

20190412_231050.jpg

I really dig them, looks way better than the e36 M mirrors and more out of the box than e46 M mirrors.

Small update.

@Sam_Holzmann 3d printed me a dome light holder since it bothers the fuck out of me that I have no lights in the car when I open the door at night besides the ones on the floor. This is version 1 and needs some modifications to fit well but it works for now! I also put some leds it it because why not. 

20190416_195646.jpg

20190416_195703.jpg

I also added a top windshield strip with the same wrap that the car is wrapped in. I dig it, although I did go below the "A" line because I think it would have looked stupid with how small it would have been at the "A" line.

20190416_192047.jpg

20190416_195837.jpg

20190416_195907.jpg

20190416_195646.jpg

Finally put in the driver side kickpanel/dead pedal that I've had sitting around since last summer. It required a little modification because of the floor plate.

20190417_184527.jpg

Also got some new harnesses, the blue ones are fine but looked wack with the red steering wheel and white car lol.

20190417_182616.jpg

20190417_194253.jpg

super hyped on the interior again with the rear decklid and block off being complete along with getting those rear panels in earlier this winter.

Wrapped the rear bumper tonight. Turned out better than the first time I tried. If you guys see the car in person you'll know what I mean.

Also as you can see I opted for the clear reflectors.

20190419_220431.jpg

Also my DME showed up today as well, from getting a few modifications to the tune. So the goal for the weekend is to finish getting fluids in the car and have it up and running. 😁

Update: 

Got all fluids in and started up with no problems. 

So since it was nice today in had to pull it out in the sun! It's almost hard to look at with the sun and no sunglasses Haha

20190420_121823.jpg

IMG_20190420_122517_973.jpg

And here's a pic with the rear bumper on. I have a buddy that has offered up his mtech2 bumper for a really good price. Just not sure if I should go that route or get a lip for this bumper. 

20190420_121503.jpg

Was checking lights and such and found that my left running light in the rear is partially lit on the brakes even when the brakes aren't pressed. Through process of elimination using a socket from my sedan I found that it's the socket holder itself. Luckily a new OEM one was only 30 bucks plus some shipping. So that's on its way.

Small update after the productive weekend.

Took the car for a drive down the street and everything seems good and normal like before. Speedo works correctly and that in itself makes me excited to no longer need to use a GPS Haha. 

Threw the quarter windows in after I took the pics on Saturday and on Sunday i put the grill in the front bumper. 

20190421_171331.jpg

The car needs a solid wash, lots of dust from sitting in the garage. 

Been slacking on updates since it's only been buttoning up some small things. Got my new bulb tray and threw it in the car.

20190424_182650.jpg

I currently have red incandescent bulbs in the running and brake positions and amber in the turn signal. Might convert to LEDs sooner than later so theres better light output and so it actually shows up red lol. It's kinda pink when the brakes are on.

3 hours ago, B C said:

Going to daily drive it this summer?

I wouldnt go so far as to say daily drive. But I do want to drive it more this summer than I did last summer. I do drive to the track, thrash for one or 2 days straight then drive it home Haha. So its 100% not a track only car.