WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

• 1 month later...

Not much new with the car as of now. Replaced the left axle again before DD76. Which was due to my own dumbassery, the outer joint was leaking grease from me using a persuader tonget it in the hub against my better judgement, and the cup bent allowing the grease to escape. 

Anywayssss. 

The event went well, my first few runs I thought I heard a clunking in the rear end but it was inconsistent and ended up being my 2x4 e-brake and a beer cap 🤷‍♂️😂

Also @Sam_Holzmann and I finally touched tips, which was bound to happen with how close we get to eachother. Luckily there was no major damage. My bumper ejecto-ed as designed (3 small zip ties with the intent to break under pressure and then my bash bar bent in a bit. Which was easily bent back.

@Jdesign was in Sam's car when it happened even 😂

Here's a pic of the "damage" the bash bar was already bent back before this pic.

20190928_170042.jpg

And a full rack of burnt tires from both sam and i.

IMG_20190929_201543_655.jpg

And a few pics from media!

IMG_20191002_184253_358.jpg

FB_IMG_1570284365940.jpg

FB_IMG_1570023688191.jpg

FB_IMG_1570023679574.jpg

FB_IMG_1570284355842.jpg

17 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

does the plastic bumper under the white vinyl wrap on the e46 happen to be black?

20190402_164927.jpg

Doesnt look like it. Also there were no markings or scuffs deep enough that went through the wrap that it would have been caused by the bumper. It was the most gentle "bump" from inside the car. My best guess is that the back is actually the wrap "burned" from the friction causing it to turn black.

Image result for unsolved mystery meme 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

soo dd77 season closer went pretty well this past weekend. 

For the first time we used Sam's trailer for both cars!

20191018_185558.jpg

20191018_205402.jpg

20191019_090549.jpg

It was a chilly morning both days but not as bad as past years for the fact that it is the last weekend in October lol 

That's my buddies 1jz swapped s13 pitted with us as well!

20191026_103803.jpg

IMG_20191027_093440_301.jpg

Now on to the real interesting part lol.

We had another incident which turned out not as well as the last one. On advanced coming down the roller coaster hill sam over rotated infront of me. On that part of the track with it being downhill it's very hard to throttle out of the way and he wasnt able to do that and in turn I was already at angle and had nowhere to go as well lol. Everyone is okay!

20191026_145823.jpg

20191026_145829.jpg

20191026_165712.jpg

SURPRISINGLY my door still opens fine using the inside handle! The window did not break as well, where it is is where it was when we hit. I'm just glad it didnt break from where it was otherwise myself and the girlfriend would have been eating glass.

It is also worth mentioning that both cars were still drivable. Ended up using the trailer landing gear and a ratchet strap to pull Sam's rad support and front end as straight as it could get for the limited tools.

Here is the video my girlfriend got from the run it happened, I also got it on my helmet cam but I still need to save it so I can post it!

20191026_152623.jpg

Ouch, glad everyone's OK and the damage is not too bad. Up to that point looked like fun!!

What's the deal though with the guy standing in the infield, safety stewards would/should be cringing at the lack of protection if a car goes off. Death wish or is he agile when he needs to be?

45 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

the low speed of this track sure makes collisions like this safer.

do you get extra points for being so close to each other or is that just part of the fun?

This originates from early drifters during the oil shortages who would draft eachother to get better fuel economy on the track. 

image.png.01737470876fe94155edc7846beea017.png

2 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Ouch, glad everyone's OK and the damage is not too bad. Up to that point looked like fun!!

What's the deal though with the guy standing in the infield, safety stewards would/should be cringing at the lack of protection if a car goes off. Death wish or is he agile when he needs to be?

They are there to take pictures! Gotta be on their toes!

7 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Those are media guys, there are 2 flaggers on this particular course. It's more so up to the drivers to be aware of what is infront of them. When in tandem you are only going with the number of people that you communicate with before leaving the start line. Which is basically a common waiver between each other if shit like this was to happen. Drifting is a different animal than road racing and etc. 

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

the low speed of this track sure makes collisions like this safer.

do you get extra points for being so close to each other or is that just part of the fun?

All of what we do is purely for fun. There is a competitive side to drifting but that's not what we do. Grassroots drifting is much different from competitive, and so is the operating cost lol. So yes we are literally putting money up in smoke 😂

12 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

It’s low speed when you’re sideways. 

@TkuhnGlad and you guys are alright! Cars can be fixed. 

@Boris3 don’t worry the guy is wearing yellow he is impervious to cars

For the record everyone, the last speed I could see on my helmet cam was 35mph. Which is off the front wheel so its true speed not spinning wheel speed.