WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

2 hours ago, B C said:

Always wondered how frequent whee bearing replacements would be with frequent track use. So far from those I have talked to its not frequent at all.

Skid Racing is a whole different story though im guessing

I dont think it's super common but who knows for sure haha I'm just glad I found it now rather than at the next event. 

update.

Some good news and some bad news.

Starting with the bad news, apparently I'm a dumbass and did a poor job dealing the new diff cover. Sooo out it needs to come again and be re-sealed.

The good news is my die came in to hopefully fix those 2 lower mileage axles that had fucked up threads. 

AND IT WAS A SUCCESS 🤙

20190816_175837.jpg

UPDATE.

Pulled both axles and the diff out last night. Which I'm starting to dislike how fast I can do it lmao. 15 minutes and all three parts were out, aside from jacking up the car.

So there are a few reasons for pulling all those out. Number 1 being that the diff needs to be resealed. Number 2 is that after I had gotten it up on stands again I was checking all the suspension and found that all 4 of the inner heims joints on my rear arms were worn and causing alot of play. So I ordered some new cheomoly ones from McMaster-carr. I also got those installed last night. 

20190821_165029.jpg

20190821_180515.jpg

Now to add to the bad news, I originally put the car up on all 4 jackstands to solve the drivetrain clunking noise. And I found it.... the u joint has alot of play. Luckily I have a friend getting rid of a 330 driveshaft for cheap and it has a good u joint. While the rest of that driveshaft needs parts (csb and rear cv) I plan to swap the front half from the new driveshaft to my existing driveshaft which has a new csb from not long ago and a good rear cv. 

Hopefully my plan works out.... 

Update.

Pulled apart 2 of my weds cerebus 2's to re lip them. I wish I could fit bigger lips but 1) I dont have the fender space and 2) I'd like to stay under a 10" wide wheel. So that being said I went from the original 2 inch lips to a 3 inch lip. What really kills me is the 6.5 inch barrels.

New on the left and original on the right.

20190823_151555.jpg

And here's both completed.

IMG_20190823_192244_757.jpg

Also pulled out my driveshaft.

My original one on the left and the one I picked up on the right.

20190823_170906.jpg

The new to me driveshaft seems to have a better front half than my current one so my hope is that it will atleast last me for the rest of the season. The u-joint on my old one was really starting to make some noise.

And here is the 2 shafts made into one. I kept my original rear portion because the cv and the csb are still good.

20190823_183612.jpg

Now I should be able to start putting the car back togeather!

ClubFR Jam was rad. 

It seems the driveshaft held up fine although I do feel like I need to get that sorted out. Also when putting my SSRs back on the rear for the drive home I noticed that there was grease on the inside of them, wellllll turns out the left outer axle leaked on the drive up lmao.

And I apparently drifted on it all day like that 🤷‍♂️, so I'm glad it held up.

Waiting to see some media come through but here's some pics from the pits and a video of Sam and I. 

IMG_20190831_090901_411.jpg

IMG_20190831_091058_424.jpg

20190831_180752.jpg