WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

UPDATE.

yes @Jdesign I ended up putting in some LEDs for the brake and running lights. I'll be getting some stealth blinker bulbs as well. I dont have photos of the new LEDs yet, also need to get on the closing band wagon so they dont flicker and throw a code.

Secondly I went up to Sam's shop with the car and modified my street faction bash bar with a Jack point 😁

20190504_204327.jpg

Turned out pretty well.

20190504_220740.jpg

then on Sunday I slapped some paint on it.

20190505_160528.jpg

20190505_162419.jpg

Had a low beam go out on me yesterday right when I got in my driveway. Pulled it apart and found that where the igniter plugs into the bulb melted itself. Pretty sure the clips were wore out and it caused the poor connection. 

Luckily I had one spare one left. So I pulled out the headlight, disassembled it and swapped out the igniter with harness. 

IMG_20190512_205143_625.jpg

IMG_20190512_205143_628.jpg

ALSO luckily I had a spare xenon bulb.

Was a pretty easy job since everything was clean.

That's about it for the excitement lately. Put a few hundred miles on the car over the past 2 weekends as well and everything seems to be good.

Update.

In preparation for automotion this weekend I washed the car and used my new wrap detailer on the car and wow it looks even better after a proper wash and seal. Although pics are hard to tell. We have a tent at the BOTI show on Saturday so we had make the drift cars ready for show hahah

20190514_185103.jpg

Also got a new set of drift spares. Wheels I only dreamed of owning and finally have a set! 

Weds kranze cerberus 2

20190514_202652.jpg

20190514_191001.jpg

Made it to automotion with the boys and it was a great weekend!

received_600195150390652.jpeg

IMG_20190518_080229_313.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

20190516_211621.jpg

First time Sam and I have had our cars together since the color change and man... HYPED on how these two look together.

Unfortunately late Saturday night after we went to bed something happened. Woke up to a officer's card on my car and also found a dent on the passenger door. It's quite the story that the officer told me but long story short a good cemaritin called in the person who hit my can and 3 others. They were arrested for hit and run and resisting arrest. The car was not owned by the driver but the vehicles owner had already been contacted and does have insurance so things sound like they will pan out okay.

I am grateful for the kind person who called it in since I was in bed and I am also grateful that there isnt much damage.

20190519_154229.jpg

When more photos roll in I'll share a couple from the weekend!

Always wondered how insurance claims work with situations involving custom work like the wrap. Sorry to hear about the bump though. This is exactly why @Earl hasnt finished his black ti yet, because he knows the first time he brings it out to a show, someone will bump into him because they were distracted by a totally cute apron on pinterest.

To all 3 of you Haha yes I am very happy there was a good samaritan and honestly it could be sooo much worse. I'll keep everyone updated of course. And in all honesty I've been going for 8 years now and staying at a hotel on the strip every time and this is the first time anything has happened to any cars in our group. It is what it is and it can be fixed! Working on a quote now. Luckily I have a friend that works at a body shop 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Been a hot minuate. Still waiting on insurance stuff but dd101 was so much fun! Killed pleanty of tires and fun was had 🤙

IMG_20190615_185042_699.jpg

received_366322287568839.jpeg

20190615_141739.jpg

delaminated a tire pretty good and she marked up the side of the car, but no worries it comes off pretty well. Will post pictures once it's all off 👍

9 hours ago, B C said:

Would waxing it help prevent future rubber stains?

I'm not sure about how well wax reacts with wrap but I was able to get the stains out. Aside from the fact that the white starts to yellow due to the heat of the tire smoke just behind the wheels. I think white paint would do the same. I have been looking into the ceramic coat that they make for wrap though.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:45 AM, Tkuhn said:

I'm not sure about how well wax reacts with wrap but I was able to get the stains out. Aside from the fact that the white starts to yellow due to the heat of the tire smoke just behind the wheels. I think white paint would do the same. I have been looking into the ceramic coat that they make for wrap though.

Correct me if Im wrong. But I dont think there shouldn't be a difference between ceramic coating for paint or wraps.

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

Correct me if Im wrong. But I dont think there shouldn't be a difference between ceramic coating for paint or wraps.

I dont know if you're wrong or right Haha I just know there is "wrap ceramic coat". Indont know enough to say if its actually different or not hahah I do have a spray detailer for wrap that is supposed to keep the wrap from drying out and it seals it. Not like ceramic coat but I can feel a difference in coated vs non coated areas after a wash.

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo first for the pre-drift day update I did then I will follow with the carnage from drift day lol.

Sam and I decided to add tire sprayers to out cars. In an attempt to cool down tires after each run to prolong their lives. 

Ordered a $18 amazon universal windshield washer kit to get started.

Mounted the tank first.

20190714_183027.jpg

Sorry to disappoint but I didnt go crazy with wiring until I decide if this is worth it for sure.

Then I made some brackets and mounted the sprayer nozzles.

20190714_183102.jpg

20190714_183122.jpg

Both are mounted behind the tires level with the bumper slides which I had off for the install.

Then came the switch, which is a bit cheap but works for now.

20190714_182738.jpg

Now unfortunately the weather on Saturday was short of pleasant. Rain for all but 2 hours of driving meant there wasnt much need for testing the tire sprayers so this is to be determined. Also we both decided that some new sprayer nozzles that spread out the path of the water over the entire tire would be more beneficial.

Now sunday brought some beautiful weather. I started the day out on the intermediate track and got about 4 runs in. On my fifth time around I clutch kicked in a spot that I normally do and heard an odd noise, then kicked it again because I was still trying to party lmao. And the second kick she cracked harder and straightened out. This was then followed by a rotational clunking noise so I headed for the pits.

Assuming that I snapped and axle or broke the diff. 

And I was kinda right...

IMG_20190721_203938_941.jpg

IMG_20190721_203938_942.jpg

As you can see the the stub snapped. Driver side. 

Luckily I had a spare diff in Sam's trailer, unfortunately it was a 2.93 and the one that was now rendered useless for now was a 3.46. The next issue was that I needed a stub. I also lucked out and another e46 friend at the track that had an auto 330 stub and an auto 330 axle. So I had to swap in a new axle as well since the auto 330 stubs are different. 

IMG_20190721_203938_940.jpg

Got everything swapped back in the car and took it for a lap. Which proved to be very difficult with the 2.93 along with 3 piece 18" wheels. It required alot more clutch kicking and high high rpms, the clutch stunk a little after that run. So I decided to throw in the towel for the day in hopes to not damage more of the car including the borrowed parts. 

I must say the drive home with the 2.93 was alot more comfortable though 😂

Soooo now that I have talked to a few people and done some research the plan is to convert to auto 330 stubs with auto 330 axles. I found stubs on ebay for 50 bucks and a passenger side axle for 33 bucks lol. Now all I need is a driver side axle unless I can get my buddy to sell me this one along with another 3.46 diff.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, Tkuhn said:

If my subframe mounts crack we got big problems lmao. Shouldn't happen if you saw what was done to brace the rear end earlier in this thread haha

How do you like the chassis mounted shifter? What engine mounts do you have?

2 hours ago, B C said:

How do you like the chassis mounted shifter? What engine mounts do you have?

I like it alot more than stock. Although I do wish I would have saved up for one with reverse lock out as I've tried shifting from 3rd to second on track and I cant seem to find it very well. But for $130 this shifter is awesome. And I have condor engine and trans mounts which I really like. Some do like them and some dont. 

Got some parts in to repair the rear end situation. My auto 330 diff stubs along with both the axles I found in ebay showed up. 

Unfortunately the driver side one (which has proven to be more difficult to find) isnt in the greatest of shape, it has some play but I guess we will she if she decides to leave the party at any point. 

20190731_175519.jpg

Going down to gurnee this weekend to pick up a 3.38 diff which should be fine although I would like to find another 3.46 as well. And I'll also be snagging another set of axles while i am down there as well.

Also have one more set of axles on the hook once i hear back about shipping from the guy 🤙

NO MORE BEING UN PREPARED!

In the mean time heres a few photos from in the rain at DD75 

2019-07-25_08-34-12.jpg

2019-07-25_08-33-35.jpg

2019-07-25_08-34-23.jpg

42 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

oooh tire sprayers. there were a lot of dirty windshields among the fwd crowd in high school.

looks like youre having a lot of fun, i love it!

Hahahah yes but these are not to help with burnouts or easier sliding lol just to help conserve tire life 

UPDATE

Picked up the new diff last night along with some more auto 330 axles. The diff I picked up is a 3.38. 

20190803_102408.jpg

Unfortunately I found out that the threads on the axles are messed up and I cant for the life of me fix them and I've unfucked things like this before. I dont have a photo but it is what it is I suppose.

I was able to get the diff welded by a friend today as well and when I went to install one of the other spare axles I have I found out that the left wheel bearing is clapped out. So that needs to be replaced. Sucks because it was brand new when I built the car a year and a half ago but that's drifting! Haha