WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Redline bottles and pump alternatives?

Boris3

Question

18 answers to this question

I've got the harbor freight version of these, thought about using it and came to conclusion that it was just as much of a poor option for the reasons you mentioned. Though maybe cut the hoses to make them shorter and punch a hole in the capped Redline bottle to feed the hose through rather than having the intake hose just loose in the bottle might not be a bad idea. 

Do you have an air compressor?

1. If so, connect a hose to the top of the fluid bottle, In your case "Redline" and hose clamp it on tight. 
  2. Lay the bottle on its side and poke a small hole in the side or bottom area of the bottle
  3. Insert the hose into the diff making sure there is some what of a gap around the hose to allow air out at the diff end
  4. take a blow gun and SLOWLY SLOWLY SLOWLY blow into the hole adding pressure behind the fluid and pushing it into the diff.

This works well with thicker fluids and additives like syncromeshes and such.

39 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Do you have an air compressor?

1. If so, connect a hose to the top of the fluid bottle, In your case "Redline" and hose clamp it on tight. 
  2. Lay the bottle on its side and poke a small hole in the side or bottom area of the bottle
  3. Insert the hose into the diff making sure there is some what of a gap around the hose to allow air out at the diff end
  4. take a blow gun and SLOWLY SLOWLY SLOWLY blow into the hole adding pressure behind the fluid and pushing it into the diff.

This works well with thicker fluids and additives like syncromeshes and such.

I can guarantee, without a doubt, that I would make a massive mess with this process lol. That being said, never heard it before but it's a great idea. 

9 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

I can guarantee, without a doubt, that I would make a massive mess with this process lol. That being said, never heard it before but it's a great idea. 

It may, or it may not. Depends on how barbaric you are with the air hose. I have used this method before on transmissions. I got the idea when working at CS and saw a pump device for transferring fluid from containers. Use an air coupler and a hose and it basically does the work for you. 

Also, I am not alone in thinking this way.. This corvette guy has a similar idea, but its not linear like I was thinking.

Capture.JPG

I ran into the exact same issue with my e46 last week when i was putting fluids in. I've got a 1-way pump i borrowed from TJ similar to what was listed at Pegasus, and the pump got me through both diffs, the trans, and the transfer case, however, from the get-go the cap just wouldn't stay on over the spring. So I had to grip it with one hand to keep the cap over it, and pump with the other, which was hella awkward - I basically cut the necks off of the redline bottles and just propped them up on some blocks so they were high enough where the hose would reach into where i needed to get it to while also being able to hit the bottom of the bottle. Then I was just really careful not to knock them over because again both hands were busy managing the stupid pump so I couldn't grab a bottle. Still made a glorious mess and ruined all the cardboard I had covering the garage floor. 

I was hoping this thread would have some magical bullet proof way that people who are smarter than I already thought of, but it seems like there isn't any universally accepted truth for the DIYer. 

If I'm ever independently wealthy, I'm buying everyone here a commercial grade pump. 

I just use the pumps that don’t fit and deal with it. Swearing a lot helps

the amount of "god fucking dammit"'s that leave my mouth during this process is appalling but it definitely does help, you are correct.

And somehow you get those extra 4 pumps of fluid into the diff that weren’t needed, but decided leak out all at once