WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Diaries of a Daily Driver

GunMetalGrey

5 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

XJ's are great rigs! Does it have the 4.0L?

4.0 with a 5 spd

Burgundrot jeep it is! 

Played with the clutch stuff for a bit to see what I could find. I ordered a new master cylinder to see if the seal in that is weak. 
I hope it's not the slave cylinder, as they use a "Tilton" style slave. 
image.png

Getting access to that means pulling the trans and transfer case, which doesn't sound like too much fun! 

They also use a plastic clutch hydraulic line that seals to the master with an o-ring, and is held in place with a roll pin through it. A genuinely wild setup. 

Much stoke
Got the new clutch master cylinder in in about 30 min and didn't even need to bleed it. 
Clutch is fully functional now. $30 fix for the win. 

Kind of makes sense that it was worn out. The cluster (speedo doesn't work) shows about 284k miles, so the clutch has been done once or twice and you replace the hydraulic throw-out bearing when you do the clutch. The master was likely original and that's many times of pressing the clutch! 

Now to drive it and find what else is broken / needing repair!

^speaking of which!
image.png

Now that it drives it was time to turn to other things.
The front had almost 6.5" of lift due to the 4.5" lift spring and a 2" rubber spacer. It looked stupid, especially on 33's with fenders that are trimmed up. 
Took the front axle almost all the way out in order to remove the rubber spacer on top of the spring. Realized the axle had been sitting about 2" toward the driver side because whomever put the spring spacers in never adjusted the trac bar. This style suspension is so much different than anything I've worked on, and luckily my roommate has been playing with jeeps for quite some time (his jeep in the back) so he can lend a hand when I get confused!

Also realized it has very f*ing beefy steering, and is a good system that allows you to adjust ride height and such without needing to adjust toe again. Stock steering has the drag link and tie rod end going as one part. 
Now to clean up the rear shock mtg points and get some shocks back there!

I absolutely hated aligning Jeeps or anything with this drag link style set up.  It's nice because you can ONLY adjust total toe and steer ahead but steer ahead can be a PITA if your steering lock is shit or you don't have a human holding the wheel straight while adjusting it.  That and rusted out sleeves/threads.  So many painful memories.

Sadly my shocks didn't show up in time for a shakedown run on a friends property, but we took the roommates jeep on its first voyage with locking diffs. 
These videos well showcase why I got rid of the diesel in lieu of something that can actually go off-road.... or at least that's my excuse!
35" tires a stock intake
https://youtu.be/F4F4OYodLrM
https://youtu.be/byCik8Uzmug

17 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Sadly my shocks didn't show up in time for a shakedown run on a friends property, but we took the roommates jeep on its first voyage with locking diffs. 
These videos well showcase why I got rid of the diesel in lieu of something that can actually go off-road.... or at least that's my excuse!
35" tires a stock intake
https://youtu.be/F4F4OYodLrM
https://youtu.be/byCik8Uzmug

What kind of lockers?  I recently put a Spartan auto locker in the rear of my Land Cruiser.  Major upgrade for not much money.

I an amusing turn of events where the mill I was going to had an issue and delayed their outage by one day I was able to go snag a Chrysler 8.25 and Dana 30 with 4.10's in them for $400. 
The stock 3.07's with 33's is a brutal combo, so this will be a welcome change! This is the exact same set of axles in my Jeep currently which is amusing, but this is just like swapping a diff in an E30! with more weight and parts...

image.png

On 5/2/2020 at 10:28 PM, KaiserRolls said:

B69FECF0-A803-46D2-9158-4053A65FB087.jpeg

Turns out this speed was super accurate. 
45mph she really came alive, this wasn't too surprising as I have determined most ball joints are bad in the current axles. New axles seem to have better ball joints so that should help.

Did my first off-road adventure with it and holy crap driving manual in demanding off-road terrain is a wild time. I should be good at dancing after this!
Slipped a front wheel into a pond, whoops.
image.png
image.png

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Makes sense with the lack of tread that your tires have.  Time for some Mud Grapplers or Open Country M/T's.

Must be photos or mud packed, as they're at 15/32's or about 85% tread 

It was more likely the liquid encouragement along with passenger encouragement lol. 

• 1 year later...

I've been low key looking for an E92 M3 for a year or two now, and have had little success in finding what I was after. Recently a forum members old M3 went up for sale for a staggeringly good price, but there was error in communications and it went to a dealer who then wanted 5k more than they got it for and wouldn't budge on it. Since then I had been keeping a more serious eye out. 
This popped up the other day so I contemplated it for a day or two (that s52 head rebuild was not cheap) and decided to go look at it and deal with my decisions later. Needless to say it came home with me.
Awesome dealer specializing in higher end cars, he appreciated how thorough I was being in my inspection and questions and he was very honest with me about the whole thing. We struck up a deal and away I went.
Also got a ride in his FBO F90 M5 with meth that was ~800 AWHP and holy hell I have never felt something launch like that before.

Anywho
08 M3 6mt 105k, carbon roof, black interior, premium and comfort package, Vorsteiner wheels, KW coils, glorified straight pipes on it (zero rasp, sounds amazing, just a bit loud inside)
image.png

It has been a riot thus far

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I've been low key looking for an E92 M3 for a year or two now, and have had little success in finding what I was after. Recently a forum members old M3 went up for sale for a staggeringly good price, but there was error in communications and it went to a dealer who then wanted 5k more than they got it for and wouldn't budge on it. Since then I had been keeping a more serious eye out. 
This popped up the other day so I contemplated it for a day or two (that s52 head rebuild was not cheap) and decided to go look at it and deal with my decisions later. Needless to say it came home with me.
Awesome dealer specializing in higher end cars, he appreciated how thorough I was being in my inspection and questions and he was very honest with me about the whole thing. We struck up a deal and away I went.
Also got a ride in his FBO F90 M5 with meth that was ~800 AWHP and holy hell I have never felt something launch like that before.

Anywho
08 M3 6mt 105k, carbon roof, black interior, premium and comfort package, Vorsteiner wheels, KW coils, glorified straight pipes on it (zero rasp, sounds amazing, just a bit loud inside)
image.png

It has been a riot thus far

I don’t think I could possibly be any more jealous. I’d do anything to just hear a perfect rev match down shift, gotta send a lil tingle down the spine. Congrats, this is an absolute beautiful car/spec!!