WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Diaries of a Daily Driver

GunMetalGrey

• 1 month later...

I have done a good job of leaving this thing alone, largely due to the fact that I didn't work for a couple months. But now I'm back at it!

IMG_20190910_164615Screenshot_20190910-173117

Drivers side light works fine, passenger stops working when you have it setup as normal. 
Plugged passenger light into drivers plug, works great. Plugged it back into the pass. side, doesn't work. 

Tried a footwell module (FRM) reset with ProTools, but that didn't do anything, nor did the reset short fault. 

So I think this means I need a new FRM in the car to make things work properly, and it looks like I should be able to use ProTools to adjust the VIN on a new FRM.
For the time I have just disabled the adaptive headlights (which I like and want to make work) and the bulb checks for the headlights so they stop  yelling at me all the time. 

The tires are getting low on tread, and the standing water on the roads here makes that an unpleasant time. Tires shortly! 
But like, who buys tires for stock wheels?!

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

This is how it begins. You can't have aftermarket wheels with stock suspension. 

I am impressed how low these cars are from factory, but I cannot confirm nor deny my current browsings of aftermarket spring options.

Funny note, stock suspension out here in WA lasts a long time, the roads are so good! 

• 3 weeks later...

Incomplete photo, but you'll have that from time to time.
Fresh meats, fresh kicks. 
Old tires were worn out, and I like the look of 18's over 17's on these cars.
Konig Hypergrams and some Federal Evoluzion's. Should prove to be a fun combo. The wheels alone weigh around 5lb less per corner when compared to the stock wheels.
Centercaps were installed after this photo. Note that the front right corner is a bit lower than normal due to a slight driveway slope. 

This certainly isn't my normal style of wheel, but they look pretty good in person.

IMG_20190930_183302

Slightly blurry sunset picture off of the back of our patio tonight, just because.

IMG_20190930_191747__01

Center caps on
Really digging the new wheels, and the tires are quiet which is nice.
Next up is some exterior add on's I think!

IMG_20191006_185831IMG_20191006_185923

Fitment turned out very tidy for not having spacers or anything of the sort.

IMG_20191006_185435

Added some LED interior lights

IMG_20191006_185407

Added LED reverse lights that are actually bright

IMG_20191006_185329

And a random scenery shot for fun

IMG_20191004_125459

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well she's no daily driver, but I still wanted to document this for later! My roommate has been building an XJ for a bit, and we've been meeting people that have land and off road trails on them, not to mention the places 30 min from the house that are stellar for wheeling. I quickly learned the truck doesn't fit on jeep trails, so there was only one solution!
The $300 93ish XJ
I don't ever name vehicles, but for some reason Ruby sticks with me, as this will be the red(headed) stepchild that always gets beat.
image.png

It spent the last year of its life sitting in a barn at a friends house under the presumption of a bad clutch, and he had no desire to work on it (got it in a trade) 
He was looking to clear out space so it went real cheap. 
When I showed up there was a search for keys, and the conclusion that he didn't know where they ended up. I have never drilled a lock cylinder so I wasn't going to do that, but you can get a cylinder and key for the xj for $20 bucks which made it tempting. Mobile locksmith wanted $140 for 2 keys, but then stopped responding to me. Ended up bringing the keys to my roommates XJ and lo and behold the key for his door locks worked in my ignition perfectly. Convenient.
This will be the third vehicle I have purchased knowing mice lived in it, and it makes me question myself sometimes. Oh well. 

Got it on the trailer using the hill to roll it as there was no battery. 
image.png

Got it trailered home (obligatory on trailer pic)
The next day I got to cleaning it up a bit. The roof was amusing to clean with the pressure washer, as it had many much algae on it. 

image.png

Got the mouse nest out of the glove box, pulled the airbox apart and found a nice possum nest with a dead possum in it so got that out of there. Put a battery in it and it fired up without much drama. Didn't want to idle at first without throttle, but that eventually cleared up, probably needs the ICV cleaned. 
The clutch does function, but seems to sort of "bleed by" slowly. If you are in gear with no brakes applied and have the clutch pedal pressed it will slowly lose hydraulic pressure and engage the clutch.

After cleaning it in the little hidey hole I have it (I alone have 3 cars and a truck at a house that is setup for 4 cars, much less my roommates 2 cars lol) it looked alright, especially considering what it'll be used for.
image.png

Turns out to have a handful of aftermarket parts in it, the front steering components have all been replaced with stronger pieces, the rear lift was done properly, slip yoke eliminator in the rear, adjustable upper control arms in the front, good tires, factory skid plates that are actually staggeringly thick, and a few other odds and ends. 
It should prove to be quite fun! 

image.png