WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

the one and only e30 s52 engine swap

AsparagusMike

Was working on my first piston, had everything prelubed ready to go. Had all my piston rings compressed down (or so I thought) and I took one swift hit and the piston went in. Boom bada bing one down 5 to go. Nope...

20171005_222104.jpg

20171005_222316.jpg

The very bottom oil ring ended up not clamping down all the way and when I pounded down it ended up bending and getting pinched between the piston and the cylinder wall.

Right here was my problem, never again......junk junk junk!!!

20171005_222404.jpg

So I went and found something that I should have used in the first place.

20171005_222420.jpg

After I switched over, the rest of the pistons went in no problem and are torqued to spec.

20171005_210921.jpg

20171005_222447.jpg

So here's my question, How much of a risk am I taking reusing that ring? Should I not even consider it and straight up get a new set for one piston (if I even can)? All the other rings are fine.

Another question...

20171005_222551.jpg

The arrow and  the Letters AW next to it, anybody know what the AW stand for?  After researching and coming up empty, I guessed and installed the pistons with all the arrows facing toward the front of the engine.  Did I do it wrong? or does it matter?

6 hours ago, Snap said:

Do not think about reusing that ring.

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

In the last picture you posted, it works quite well, as AW stands for Awkward Wiener.
Don't reuse the ring, they are cheap enough and that's a vital engine part. 

Yup I thought I'd be better off just replacing it instead of suffering later. Called up Hastings and ordered a new set for one piston(which as you said was fairly cheap).:)

Came in yesterday :D

20171012_153529.jpg

And all the pistons are installed and torqued to spec. Double checked, triple checked, quadruple checked, quintuple checked, sextuple checked, septuple checked, and octuple checked the torque on the main studs and rod bolts before confirming the Bottom end is done.

20171012_154858.jpg

Now that the pistons and crank and what not are done its time for cleaning more parts and ordering gaskets and seals.

So, while I waited for the rings to show up I began to get needed things done, first up, drill oil pump nut...

20171006_125755.jpg

Probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to drill because of the angle and it would have been easier if I had a vise for the drill press but all in all it ended up turning out half way decent and saved myself a ridiculous $14 to buy one.

20171006_133407.jpgN

Also began cleaning the metal plate that covers the crank (not really sure what the name of it is) and timing cover. (Not done yet)

20171006_111233.jpg

Also noticed something on the timing cover....something that worries me....

20171012_200831.jpg

20171012_200847.jpg

Am I gonna be finding another timing cover? It still seems solid and strong I wonder if getting it bead blasted or something would get rid of it.

On another note.......E34 OIL PAN!!!!!!!

Snapchat-1828740965.jpg

20171012_165603.jpg

Man, what a joke. WHAT A FLIPPIN JOKE it is to find one of these for a decent price, that's all. I'm just happy the struggle is over.

List of parts to order next...

Cometic headgasket                

Rear main crankshaft seal kit (part #: 11142247867)

Front crankshaft seal                   

Stewart water pump                  

Timing cover gaskets                 

Oil pump pickup gasket and oil pump gasket

Oil pan gasket                   

Man oh man is it ever hard to get an E34 oil pan. You have the couple of years they made the M50 E34, then out of those, the ones that made it stateside, then out of those, the ones that arent currently being driven and havent been sacrificed for their oil pans by all the other E30 swaps.

I was dealing with a guy known as “most reliable paul” to get a run of new E34 pans made but he has really dropped the ball.

So got home earlier then normal today and with a little motivation left in me I decided to clean the garage a bit and get parts organized, VERY very happy that I did.

20171016_183714.jpg

I completely forgot about these little guys. I still can't stop thinking, imagine if I had this thing all together ready to go and I found them then or even worse! after its in the car and I start the frickin thing, bye bye motor. Even though I disliked the fact that I had to pull the crank and bearings back out after its been all torqued down I'm thankful I caught it now.

20171016_183730.jpg20171016_184504.jpg

Everything is back together now and torqued down as before, this time the right way.

For other progress I got my oil pump cleaned up and installed (not torqued down) as well as my oil pickup tube.

20171015_172037.jpg20171016_200230.jpg20171015_190107.jpg

Still waiting on my gaskets and seals to show up, tomorrow gonna drop off the oil pan and timing cover at the machine shop for a nice acid bath and should get it back by the end of the day, then gonna work on priming and painting the pan which will be bmw blue to match the valve cover (Which isn't painted yet, but will be).

nice progress!

as far as getting a built engine out of your basement...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/how-take-motor-out-basement-357271/

please consider one of the two of you has to go backwards up stairs. a fully dressed s50 is north of 400 lbs. short block is less, but either way its a small object so that makes it harder.

(have a plan B )

On 10/17/2017 at 0:20 AM, straight6pwr said:

nice progress!

as far as getting a built engine out of your basement...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/how-take-motor-out-basement-357271/

please consider one of the two of you has to go backwards up stairs. a fully dressed s50 is north of 400 lbs. short block is less, but either way its a small object so that makes it harder.

(have a plan B )

Actually I've been doing some more thinking on that and I think I might have a pretty good idea. No matter what u do, the engine is gonna be awkward to carry and hard to support between two people. So, instead of carrying it why not just leave it right on the engine stand. People on that thread were saying to put the motor on a refrigerator dolly and maybe a come along to winch it up with plywood on the steps. How about I just hook the come along to the neck part of the stand and pull it up backwards on plywood? For the other side of the come along, there's a closet at the top of the stairs. If I took a thick heavy piece of wood and cut it just long enough to fit behind the back side of the frame and maybe supported it with 2x4's so it didn't fall, wrapped the strap around the piece of wood, and cranked her up the stairs, what could go wrong? For safety precautions I'll station a friend at the bottom end so if something were to fail he can catch it.

• 2 weeks later...

update:

Parts were pretty dirty and brake cleaner wasn't cuttin it. dropped off the oil pan, timing cover, and thermostat housing at the machine shop and picked them up the next day.....:D

20171018_151805.jpg

20171018_151912.jpg

Although the acid tank did a hell of a job getting rid of all the gunk, it still doesn't get rid of corrosion and there is only one true fix for that on cast aluminum.......bead blasting

20171027_214447.jpg

New seal installed...

20171027_215918.jpg

Oil pan primed and painted. Used self-etching primer for better stick on the aluminum

20171019_144724.jpg

20171019_151829.jpg

I knew something was up when I torqued the bolts down. All that's going through my head is "Why the hell are the studs 2 threads short??" So, after spending a half hour reading forum threads and researching I found that arp, for some reason made their studs to short. Some people mentioned they threaded the stud a few turns out so that the nut reached all the threads. Others mentioned they took the washers out. I didn't like the sound of neither of these and instead got a handful of steel balls, 1/4 inch in diameter from bicycle bearings and dropped them in each of the holes, you could say it did the trick.

Before:

20171018_201101.jpg

After:

20171029_191253.jpg

On another note I received my gaskets from ecs tuning. Everything looked good except for something I noticed on the oil pan gasket.

20171029_191346.jpg

Now, I know I didn't order a victor reinz and I even double checked on the website and the order receipt. So I gave them a call, and they confirmed that a mistake was made and they will send me another gasket right away and I can keep the gasket they sent, so i thought "excellent, no problem there." two days later I got the gasket in the mail, pulled it out of packaging and checked the same spot on the gasket, and once again it said victor reinz. After thinking it over I decided I'll give the gasket a try and not go through the hassle to get a third gasket. If you wanted to know, the gasket I ordered was a febi and the price differences from that and the victor reinz was like 2 bucks so big whoop, as long as it don't leak.

Back when I disassembled the motor, I ended up breaking one of the chain guides clips that hold it to the stud. So last weekend I spent my Saturday morning at my local junk yard pulling a m50 apart on an e34 to get another chain guide...It also still had its oil pan...and it was cracked. 😭

Snapchat-1229655489.jpg

Snapchat-252801066.jpg

It was well worth it cause it saved me 30 bucks from buying a new one.

20171018_175354.jpg

pump installed, nut tightened to 18 lb ft and wire tied to the sprocket....safe and secure.

chain guides installed and good news! nothin broke.

20171027_214504.jpg

Timing cover installed with new gaskets and some right stuff by permatex to keep them sealed. All the bolts torqued to 11 lb ft...

20171029_191407.jpg

20171029_191330.jpg

Question....got troubles with the oil baffle.

20171029_191532.jpg

20171018_201203.jpg

As you can see, the baffle won't bolt down because the arp main studs are interfering. Do I need it? I can modify it so that it does work but I wanted to check if its necessary to have, for some reason I couldn't find any info out there on this piece.

Next things on the list...

Install rear crank seal

Possibly Getting my cylinder head back this week sooooo...order head gasket, as well as

Stewart water pump

gasket for oil filter housing

vanos gasket

Obd1 coolant hose adapter

aaaaand maybe a few other things I can't think of at the moment.