WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

the one and only e30 s52 engine swap

AsparagusMike

On 12/29/2018 at 9:50 PM, Earl said:

Your o2 could have also been fouled if it's consuming enough oil to end up coming out of the tail pipe

o2 was definitely pretty dirty so I cleaned that up but I did another code check on the system and I no longer have either of the codes listed above and instead have one code, 1281 (control unit memory supply). Whats the chances that being anything other then a bad ecu?

I have no heat. Over the time that the car was being re-built I temporarily shoved paper towels in the heater core inlet and outlet ports to avoid any dirt getting in the heater core so I can't see it being clogged. Also, I do remember the heat working with no issues before the engine (M42) came out so I doubt it’s the heater core at all and the blower motor works without flaw, but I only get cold air. I will be starting with the heater controls and making sure its not something net working right there.

occam's razor: did you remember to take the paper towels out?

second idea: needs a proper bleed. i believe m42s share the challenges of e36 24v engines (get the front end up high, massage her gently, say sweet things into her ear)

the coolant system is relatively simple. clogged core, dead water pump, dead blower, and trapped air are the only things that will cause no heat.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, straight6pwr said:

occam's razor: did you remember to take the paper towels out?

second idea: needs a proper bleed. i believe m42s share the challenges of e36 24v engines (get the front end up high, massage her gently, say sweet things into her ear)

the coolant system is relatively simple. clogged core, dead water pump, dead blower, and trapped air are the only things that will cause no heat.

Ya paper towels came out lol.

Water pump is solid

blower motor works fine

I suppose trapped air is a possibility but I thought I did a pretty good job using the air lift tool and the system held vacuum great with no leaks.

My guess comes down to either somehow a clogged heater core or possible faulty heater check valve, that is where I think I will start.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, Boris3 said:

Just in case, check to make sure you installed the new setup's hoses to the heater core correctly (inlet/outlet). With everything else going on in a swap, mix ups can happen.   

I will definitely double check this but I am fairly certain I had them routed correctly.

Update!

Got to work last weekend on pulling the rear sub frame.

20181229_004842.jpg

Took me about an hour and a half total to drop out of the car, man is it nice when everything is fresh and easy to pull apart.

20181229_004826.jpg

First things first, got the diff pulled out and got the new seals installed.

20181230_142934.jpg

Replaced the output shaft seals and lock rings as well as the o-rings to seal the outer section.

20190102_222856.jpg

20190102_230501.jpg

Pulled the trailing arms off and came up with a little fix for my eccentric hardware.

20181230_221026.jpg

20181230_220958.jpg

20181230_221005.jpg

I bolted one arm back up and just lightly tightened it and wow, much better. Hopefully wont be having any more issues there.

Last thing I gotta do is figure my dust shields out so I can install my-e-brake system and then I can install the new bushings and slide the sub-frame right back in.

After this is in, I will be working on fixing the y-pipe on the exhaust.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, straight6pwr said:

force flush the heater core via the hoses at the firewall. if it wont flush in the correct direction of flow, try reverse flush and see if any muck comes out. (i know its a giant PITA due to needing to remove the intake mani.)

Speaking from experience?

About time for another update...

E brake dust plates are fixed. Originally my plan was to pull the wheel bearings and hub in order to replace with new until a friend a mine came up with an idea for just reinforcing the holes in order to save myself a lot of work of pressing in new bearings and what not. Simply just cut out 4 pieces with 14 gauge stainless to the shape of the inner con-caved area and cut a new shape for the holes where the pins come through. Welded them in and re-painted the area with por-15.

Before re-attaching the trailing arms I went ahead and pulled the RTAB's and re lubed them all.

20190110_173500.jpg

Keep them nice and quite.

20190110_174205.jpg

New modified sub-frame bushings lubed and pressed in as well as spacers for the differential.

20190111_172821.jpg

20190111_173548.jpg

With a couple extra helping hands we got er popped back in.

20190111_194233.jpg

20190111_194216.jpg

Super excited to see how she feels now that the eccentric hardware hopefully won't be walking all over the place and that I finally get my e-brake back.

Yup, that's about it.

O and one more thing... She's gettin a turbo 😀

20190106_161715.jpg

Diagram from The Book of E30 Ownership

before e30 turbo announcement:

perpetually non-running e30s ---------------------you-----running e30s

after e30 turbo announcement:

perpetually non-running e30s -------------you-------------running e30s

after e30 turbo installation:

perpetually non-running e30s -you-----------------------running e30s

More updates!

For the last week I have been enjoying the nice warm weather of Arizona. I got back Saturday and on Sunday I headed on over to the shop and got a couple more things accomplished.

As for the rear end, I still had to re-install the brakes and got my e brake installed and dialed in, feels great!

20190120_134606.jpg

After going through and torquing everything in the rear end I moved on to the next big thing I needed to get out of the way, fixing the exhaust. After some cutting of the y-pipe my buddy stopped by and fab'd up some small pie cuts to raise it and then tacked them in place.

Once that was secured I got the fluids drained and everything disconnected on the motor to be pulled.

20190121_214449.jpg

raised the motor enough to get the headers pulled with ease. Threw em on the bench and welded em back up.

20190121_214433.jpg

With the exhaust finished up and soon off to its new owner I can now turn my attention to getting the motor pulled and prepped.

After I got out of class today, I spent a couple hours over at the shop getting the motor pulled completely out of the car. Ya, that's all I got done.

20190122_180027.jpg

A few things on the to do list before she goes back in...

- Pull the valve cover and re-torque all the head studs

- Pull the oil pan off to weld in the fitting for the oil drain line as well as a baffle for the pick up

- Replace the s52 oil filter with s54 housing

- Pull the trans to replace the input shaft seal as well as inspect the clutch

- Mount the turbo manifold and turbo

Also will need to do a bit of trimming to the battery tray in the engine bay to make room for the down pipe.

Progress is on hold tell this weekend where my goal is to hopefully get a few of these things done.

Stay tuned!

More updates!

Thankfully with this weather being so shit forcing class to be cancelled it's given me more time to get things done at the shop.

With the motor out of the car I went ahead and popped off the valve cover and re-torqued all the head studs. Luckily I did this as I got a 1/4 turn out of a few of them.

Cams look good as well as everything else visually.

20190124_180141.jpg

After this I went ahead and popped on a new valve cover gasket and torqued her down. Time to pull the trans.

20190125_223002.jpg

Overall clutch looks fine. Also took a look at the input shaft seal and surprisingly saw no dampness or leaks. Unscrewed the fill ports while the trans was sitting on the bench and the level was right up to the top. Started taking a look at the oil pan gasket and I believe the leak was coming from that area which is great cause pan is coming off anyways.

20190125_235932.jpg

With the oil drained I got the stock oil filter housing removed. Took a thorough inspection of the bottom end and was quite pleased with the way everything is looking. Threw the oil pan on the bench and scrubbed er clean as well as drilling out the rivet holding in the stock e34 baffle.

Following day my buddy stopped by and welded in the new Achilles baffle.

20190128_124902.jpg

Once done with that we mounted the pan back on the engine with a couple bolts. Mounted the manifold and turbo and got a location for the oil drain line -12 an fitting. Pulled the pan, drilled a hole and welded er in.

20190129_170430.jpg

With that done I got to work on removing all the old rtv, always a good time 🙄

Now, initially I ran a oil pan gasket with rtv on both sides. But, this time I decided to just run rtv with no gasket and I think it's gonna seal just as good if not better then with the gasket, we shall see.

Also got the s54 housing cleaned up and mounted with a fresh gasket.

20190129_185957.jpg

20190129_190019.jpg

After re-mounting the trans and getting the manifold and turbo all torqued down on the motor it was about ready to be put back in the car. Unfortunately a good chunk of the battery tray has to be cut out for clearance of the down pipe so with the engine out of the car I went at it with a dremel and cutting wheel.

20190130_151648.jpg

I didn't cut it all the way back as I wanted to keep the holes where the plastic cover sits so that should do.

Ah and one more thing! when I initially was pulling the drive shaft out two little screws fell on the ground. After closer inspection I found that they were part of the shifter assembly.

20190130_172236.jpg

Seeing this, I went ahead and pulled each screw and threw a dab of red loctite on each one and tightened em down good. Hopefully won't be having this issue no more, I am still trying to figure how the hell I didn't lose them in the first place.

With that all said and done it was time to drop er back in the car.

20190130_213032.jpg

Let me just say If I'm gonna be pulling this out a lot in the future for reasons we will not talk about I will be looking into doing a removable core support as this was about the biggest bitch to get in with the turbo and manifold already on. With it all bolted back up in the car everything does fit pretty well though.

Next couple things on the list to get done include:

1. Building a intercooler bracket
  2. Running some water through the heater core to figure out whats going on there
  3. Hopefully have some heat tape showing up in the mail here soon and then I can go ahead and get the exhaust installed to see if their are any fitment issues there.
  4. re-install radiator. With the intercooler I will no longer have room for a pusher fan so I have decided to order up a puller fan and were gonna see if we can make that fit otherwise I'm fucked.
  5. What I'm gonna be doing for wiring and tuning is still be determined...