WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M52

B C

More-so trusting the the car, happy with the car.

I wont be totally happy until the exhaust is tucked better. A new welder was ready to work on this 2 saturdays ago, but me and my car weren't ready since I had it in pieces replacing the starter and alternator.
Now that im ready, the welder isn't.

Im willing to try MIdas or some other muffler shop at this point. it is a bit frustrating in the meantime trying to get this resolved.

Rock solid coolant temperatures in the stop and go on the commute home, as I expected. I do find the urethane engine mounts to be quite a bit more harsh than the UHMW mounts I had on the M20.  The next time I tinker with it im going to re-set my engine and trans and see if its just not sitting exactly where it would like to. 

The brakes are the next item I need to address and the next chunk of change will be going there

616910E9-B55A-45C9-BAE2-9604E6C45FC3.thumb.jpeg.92964dcec20ddeadfd16a701457ed302.jpeg

I have smoked side markers now but I am still looking for good smoked late model turn signal lenses. Looks like the Kopi/MHW ones on abrahamsmotorsport are going to be the way to go.

Until I get a few more cosmetic upgrades to balance it out, it will look a bit tacky and incomplete but one must begin somewhere.

I have my spleen up for sale on ebay in hopes that I can use it as a partial trade for some MHW tails or something.

ha! The last set i saw was $1,300, but one can dream.

CFD1A678-F6E7-4A1E-99EF-27827B83C726.thumb.jpeg.7b972fab7f5681d29349522abad0e751.jpeg

Some nice aerosol spray tint will help create a shine and remove the bold amber bumper lights until you get nice replacements. Mixing your own tint looks the best though and will give you less of a "blue" hue. I would hit your taillights with a thin layer too.

My taillights have a thin layer of clear tinted with black and it makes a world of difference.

E30_E36 Rear bumper sides.jpg

I bought a new oxygen sensor with the correct length of wire instead of the extension harness I had on a shorter one. The O2 sensor is fully functional now and does not cause the car to fall on its face in closed loop. The additional power from the correct mixtures can be felt all over. 

Sadly this was my last drive.

E844DE6A-2035-47C4-A4B1-C9C1977B8BCD.thumb.jpeg.bc20d4e6fff6fcb386e78037786b2364.jpeg

I went for one final rip before topping off the tank in preparation to pass the keys to a new owner. 

It sounds marvelous. It runs perfectly. It pulls properly. It may be humble in comparison with other builds and cars that are out there but I did my very best with the amount of time, money, and talent I had, and I am satisfied with my work.

I could list reasons of why I should keep the dream alive and an equal number of reasons why it needs to come to an end. To put it concisely, I love this car, but it doesn't fit well into my life right now. 

I tried hard to make a car hobby work with my current position in life, but it just isn't working out how id like it to.

I have owned this car for 8 years. it started life as a humble, neglected automatic purchased off ebay and shipped from Los Angeles and since then has been my  "creative outlet" and an amazing tool for me to expand my knowledge of automobiles and engineering. 

This car took me to college, It took me to work,  It took me to my first (and hopefully not last) track day,  it took family members on leisurely drives, it took me on adventures, it was my release, it was my refuge in the glorious way that personal automobile transportation is to us all.

I am grateful that I got to experience what some couple thousand BMW employees in the 1980's set out to produce: The Ultimate Driving Machine. 

At the end of the day it is merely a hunk of steel, glass, rubber, and plastic But it will be missed. 

There will hopefully be another day that I can build up a car as a hobby but for now it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

Thank you to everyone who has supported this dream.

9 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Really sad to see it go :( but your reasoning is valid. Hopefully the new owner will take good care of it. Will it be staying local?? 

New owner seems pretty big into the wcec and stance stuff but thats out of my control. I dont think he is in the SE WI area though. Somewhere further west

9 hours ago, snap said:

E844DE6A-2035-47C4-A4B1-C9C1977B8BCD.thumb.jpeg.bc20d4e6fff6fcb386e78037786b2364.jpegIt sounds marvelous. It runs perfectly. It pulls properly. 

To put it concisely, I love this car, but it doesn't fit well into my life right now. 

Fit matters and family comes first. Plus after all of the challenges and frustrations of the eight year project you got it figured out.  

"Runs perfectly"...how about that!! 

14 hours ago, snap said:

I went for one final rip before topping off the tank in preparation to pass the keys to a new owner. 

It sounds marvelous. It runs perfectly. It pulls properly. It may be humble in comparison with other builds and cars that are out there but I did my very best with the amount of time, money, and talent I had, and I am satisfied with my work.

I could list reasons of why I should keep the dream alive and an equal number of reasons why it needs to come to an end. To put it concisely, I love this car, but it doesn't fit well into my life right now. 

I tried hard to make a car hobby work with my current position in life, but it just isn't working out how id like it to.

I have owned this car for 8 years. it started life as a humble, neglected automatic purchased off ebay and shipped from Los Angeles and since then has been my  "creative outlet" and an amazing tool for me to expand my knowledge of automobiles and engineering. 

This car took me to college, It took me to work,  It took me to my first (and hopefully not last) track day,  it took family members on leisurely drives, it took me on adventures, it was my release, it was my refuge in the glorious way that personal automobile transportation is to us all.

I am grateful that I got to experience what some couple thousand BMW employees in the 1980's set out to produce: The Ultimate Driving Machine. 

At the end of the day it is merely a hunk of steel, glass, rubber, and plastic But it will be missed. 

There will hopefully be another day that I can build up a car as a hobby but for now it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

Thank you to everyone who has supported this dream.

why am i crying in the club rn

But I never got a ride!?! 

Seriously though its sad to see it go, but if you stay on the same chapter the book, you might never get to the "happily ever after."

Congrats to you sir, on both your accomplishment and your sale. You thrived to successfully finish this car working little by little every night, every chance you could for 8 years. You are lucky to have such a supportive family and the mentality to do so. I hope to see you stick around long after your BMW ownership, as I expect to see you for a fall cruise in the future whether its in a mini van or on a bicycle. :)

I am grateful I got to see this come together and go for a rip with you the other day. Everyone has different walks of life and having a "less powerful" build or whatever the case may be is irrelevant. The reason WIBimmers is good is because the people are true enthusiasts. This car gives you good stories and brought good times, but you are right - a car is a car and no matter how emotionally attached we get to them as enthusiasts, there are *always* more important things in life than cars. 

I seriously contemplated buying this car from you so that you could buy it back from me someday but I just don't have anywhere to put it because the stupid village of Hartland won't approve to add a 4th garage stall on my property.