WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M52

B C

11 hours ago, snap said:

Bite-sized update as usual: Engine shimmed about 5/16” on the drivers side and hey! My manifold now clears the booster!

The ICV hose is genuine BMW and its already cracking.

58D7FA47-8CAC-4A39-87B6-1D12FC2BD13F.thumb.jpeg.0383577f0cdfc7805574cb14eb580872.jpeg

That's how you know it's good.  They must be sourcing Uro parts.  Where is the pcv hose that goes on that nipple?

Maybe it's the coolant vapors from the impending head gasket death that are causing premature wear, or your oil is toxic and your rings are shot so you are seeing too much oil through the manifold and it is wearing out the elbow, and don't forget the potential that your power steering pump is leaking and the pulley for it is flinging the fluid up and when you drive the air pushes the fluid back against the elbow.

12 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Maybe it's the coolant vapors from the impending head gasket death that are causing premature wear, or your oil is toxic and your rings are shot so you are seeing too much oil through the manifold and it is wearing out the elbow, and don't forget the potential that your power steering pump is leaking and the pulley for it is flinging the fluid up and when you drive the air pushes the fluid back against the elbow.

Lets not get crazy here WebMD 

I knew it was Lupus.

FWIW the rubber grommet on my new BMW throttle cable was also cracked. 
Im guessing its just new old stock. Every other piece of rubber old and new is holding up fine. I ran a tightly wrapped strip of electrical tape over the ICV hose and added a hose clamp for good measure. 

11 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

May have missed this but did the new alternator fix the temp issue?

Not yet determined. 
I have the manifold on, just need to make the connections to it tonight and will probably give it a test drive tomorrow after work to see how things are going. 

I got everything back together, charged the battery and went for a half-hour long test drive. The engine ran perfect despite the O2 still not being connected and now I have a different problem. The temp gauge reads too low 😄66A9C5A6-22D4-4873-AB89-85A133C4125B.thumb.jpeg.b2483409de02714cc9184cce955cd7b4.jpeg

It sat steady at a tick under 180 or at 180 for the entire drive regardless of electrical load. FWIW I rewired so it no longer shares a power or ground with the other gauges.

if the mighty temp gun is to be trusted its about 15 degrees off. The top radiator hose reads 195 F.

I sat idling in the driveway for 5 minutes or so and the gauge only climbed to the 190 mark.

I will just play it safe and assume the gauge reads 20F too low and anything right of the 12:00 position will be the “shut er down” temperature. Consistently wrong is better than consistently moving around and I will see if I can make it more accurate another day.

See you at the picnic!

E2D9BD35-33B9-4C5F-8DBB-5529E6CD320A.thumb.jpeg.503956587a95b1e593fca2079de7f89a.jpeg

DF56EEBF-CD19-46D0-AB97-1030326D9657.thumb.jpeg.bd01478068a0d2dda617c55138d16002.jpeg

Commuting in it again.

Im pretty happy with the acceleration. Its faster than any NA E36 M I have been in but thats not saying a lot in this era of hoverboards and fidget spinners. its easy to drive/forgiving off the line when you are wearing dress shoes or are clumsy with the clutch.

These cars look tiny. Doesnt help that im a ‘squatch 😁