WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 M52

B C

The next episode looks like this:

M52B28 from 1997 E39 528i 139k miles

OBD1 conversion with 413 red label DME and Sssquid Tuning stage 2 tune

S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Supersprint replica long tube headers, single 3" exhaust 

Achillies upgraded oil pump shaft and oil pan baffle and every other reliability upgrade I can find

E30 G260, lightened single mass flywheel, South Bend stage 3 street clutch disc, Sachs 918 pressure plate, Z3 shifter with DSSR, S3.25 rear diff

f6f8f44be4597943660983da1cd109ae.jpg

All of the gaskets and seals are being replaced (except for the head gasket), I purchased brand new coilpacks, sensors, hoses, vanos rebuild kit, and a host of other refresh items.

So far I have pulled the exhaust manifold, removed all the exhaust manifold studs, started pulling the intake manifold, began the tedious process of scrubbing the block for a fresh coat of paint, and have cleaned up the injectors, and sent them off to Injector Rehab for some cleaning and testing.

618274e0985bfdcbe237a3d4f2e2b26b.jpg

Underneath the valve cover, nothing out of the ordinary, the cam lobes are in great shape which helps re-affirm that this engine was maintained to some extent.

b16ba9be06e4bba8adbe0edd6aafca37.jpg

I can't help but sit here counting all of the valves and wonder how I got to this point in my life. 

2 setbacks early in the game:

-front lifting point/corner of the head is cracked (engine didnt come with a lifting hook, just a lifting strap wrapped around it)

Not a critical mission failure, just an annoyance from a previous mechanic doing something wrong while lifting the engine

12a8c1fe5eca9199d719faa0e69380cf.jpg

I drilled out the ends of the crack, called a mobile welder, they wouldn't do it because its cast alum. (Nonsense, ive had a head and trans case welded before) so I put some JB Weld into the crack and wiped it clean in addition to the drilled holes to keep

It from expanding. I will need to come up with another front lifting point that will work with a load leveler.

-After sending back the basic S52 tune, I received the M52 tune but it is for 91 octane and um... an M52B25, instead of a B28. Rev limit according to the website on that one is "7400+" so needless to say I am awaiting a response from my email to Sssquid tuning.

Not mad at them or anything, they have been awesome, I just need the tune to be right though.

7400!!!   That just is not necessary lol.  I spin my 2.5 to 6700 every day on the way to work though, the sound changes around 6300rpm and it sounds just crazy awesome.  I don't know where the rev limiter is on the Dinan chip I have (circa 1997) but I haven't hit it yet, I guess I'm not livin on the edge.

2 setbacks early in the game:

-front lifting point/corner of the head is cracked (engine didnt come with a lifting hook, just a lifting strap wrapped around it)

Not a critical mission failure, just an annoyance from a previous mechanic doing something wrong while lifting the engine

12a8c1fe5eca9199d719faa0e69380cf.jpg

I drilled out the ends of the crack, called a mobile welder, they wouldn't do it because its cast alum. (Nonsense, ive had a head and trans case welded before) so I put some JB Weld into the crack and wiped it clean in addition to the drilled holes to keep

It from expanding. I will need to come up with another front lifting point that will work with a load leveler.

-After sending back the basic S52 tune, I received the M52 tune but it is for 91 octane and um... an M52B25, instead of a B28. Rev limit according to the website on that one is "7400+" so needless to say I am awaiting a response from my email to Sssquid tuning.

Not mad at them or anything, they have been awesome, I just need the tune to be right though.

I think 7k is dinan stuff

Sssquid Tuning responded today, checked their records and I do in fact have the M52B28 tune as desired, the B25 was a typo, however, the 7400rpm limiter isn't sitting well with me because I know how these 24v engines get a bit crabby about harmonics after the big hand hits the 7 and the tune was for 91 octane anyways so I am having a new tune sent for 93 octane with a 7100 soft limit and a 7250 hard limit. At some point when its in the car I will put it on a dyno and see how its doing and probably get another tune revision.

I have considered making my core support removable for a while now but I think I need to make it happen for this install. I just don't think the 24V was meant to be lifted at the extreme angles required to fit into an E30. I will be looking into removable core support gameplans and alternate front engine lifting points tonight.

5 hours ago, Snap said:

I have considered making my core support removable for a while now but I think I need to make it happen for this install. I just don't think the 24V was meant to be lifted at the extreme angles required to fit into an E30. I will be looking into removable core support gameplans and alternate front engine lifting points tonight.

Really not needed. I've pulled / installed m5x/s5x motors in e30's 10 to 15 times and only 3 or 4 have been with removable core supports. It's not a terrible fit. 

Continuing on with my MO of spending just a few minutes a day on the project, I finally got the intake manifold off.

It isnt called a "mess under the intake" for no reason!

OBD1 will only slightly help with that.

4687d1febb7f1a095609b069579b08c0.jpg

For those that arent aware of the difference between an M50 manifold (thick and healthy) and an M52 manifold (frail and anemic), here it is

8268177a7fd7417acbfafc0c5e66968b.jpg

e236d90689ed8a5f2e82557ea45281d7.jpg

a90fce2113fad8461295a3ec8918773d.jpg

After I remove the E39 harness, brackets, and accessories I will be plenty busy cleaning the block.

RealOEM will become invaluable as I make a list of other clips/brackets/hoses that I didnt buy yet to mount the OBD1 harness and accessories.