WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Diy valve cleaning

Ragan

Question

Hey guys, just cleaned my intake valves today as well as replaced the belt ten's I one r, upper, and lower pulley. I used b12 to soak the valves and got them pretty clean. I'm satisfied with them, but having a little idling and driving issue. Car sputters and is bogging a little bit. Just want to know if this is normal for the first couple miles of the cleaning or maybe perhaps something else went on. I also seafoamed the car and haven't changed the spark plug yet. I already replaced the coils today and will put new plugs in hoping it'll make it better. Just wanted to see if this was normal or not. Have a great day members! 

4 answers to this question

Hey pat, sorry i didn't see this till now. As for pictures, I only took some on snapchat and sent them to my buddies because they were pretty skeptical about it as well. I think the main reason why mine wasn't so gunked was because I travel almost every weekend and so the carbon doesn't really build up on my valves. I don't have a catch can or anything of that sort yet (external PCV set up coming next month). I would say that for myself, I try to maintain the car as best as possible. Other cars and owners might be different, but since the last walnut blasting, I've only put around 23k on the car. My valves were a lot cleaner and easier to clean. I could just spray it down with brake cleaner and the residue would just wash away after letting it soak in B12. The hard part was actually scrubbing the back of the valve itself. That had a lot of hard carbon build up.