WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Turner Motorsport new GT3 car

patsbimmer1

Turner is getting into the f8x chassis for next year!  I think the M6 has been a failed experiment and I am excited to see them get into the M4 GT4 next year.  It has had better success than the M6 cars thus far in Europe so hopefully that continues here!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156081356938998&id=56412968997

More information from BMW'so press release. 

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387850

1 hour ago, Earl said:

The m4 just looks too tame. Where are the aggressive low slung lines that the previous gt4 cars have had? If I didn't know any better, I would say it is a stock bodied m4 with a somewhat lame livery...

The GT4 class is an amateur class intended for privateers.  You are seeing more OEM's building car's specific to this class to lower the cost of entry into racing as opposed to a privateer buying a car and having to modify it to a certain spec.  This is a product of that.  It may look tame but it's built in the same vane that the Porsche Cayman GT4, Mclaren 570s GT4, Audi R8 GT4 and other cars in the class.  None of these cars have extreme aero like you would see on GT3 cars or above because the class limits it.  When you think GT car you are typically associating it with the GT3/2/1 class or DTM cars.  BMW does have a bad ass DTM M4 that's been very successful and oddly enough it's using the P66 v8 engine that is an evolution of the P65 used in the last M3 GT3 and the Z4 GTE/GT3 car. 

The M4 GT4 will be the first time that BMW is taking an S55 derivative racing.  Now, you can look at the M4 GT4 and say it looks tame or take in the specs and realize that it's using components from the road going M4 GTS in a race car.  That's pretty impressive to say that BMW built a streetcar that's capable of being raced at a high level.  This is how we see improvements in the road going models.  This is how we got the 3.0 CSL, E30 M3 evo's, E46 M3 CSL and GTR.

Here is said bad ass M4 DTM.

2017-BMW-M4-DTM-04.jpg

59 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

This is how we got the 3.0 CSL, E30 M3 evo's, E46 M3 CSL and GTR.

I can't see BMW coming out with a car that fits in with this lineage anymore. I feel that those days are over because of how far technology has advanced and been integrated into cars as a whole. This is not to say that BMW won't pen another car that will win races and be heralded as the best of it's era, but I feel that gone are the days of BMW's with the raw driving experience as the aforementioned.

Just now, Earl said:

I can't see BMW coming out with a car that fits in with this lineage anymore. I feel that those days are over because of how far technology has advanced and been integrated into cars as a whole. This is not to say that BMW won't pen another car that will win races and be heralded as the best of it's era, but I feel that gone are the days of BMW's with the raw driving experience as the aforementioned.

I'm only likening those cars to the newer models based the sharing of technology and advancements in race cars and road cars, not the driving feel.  FWIW those cars were all using advanced technology for their time.  It's all relative, we can look back now and compare them to today's cars and complain about how disconnected the cars are today but the same thing was happening then.  As far as winning races... BMW is still doing that.  The M6 hasn't fared well recently but the Z4 was very competitive and the e9x M3's were as well.  BMW just won the 2016 BTCC series in their 125i, has done well in many endurance races over the past 10 years and since rejoining DTM in 2012 they have taken multiple constructor championships and individual championships. 

Due to the balance of power in many series you don't really have dominant teams because as soon as someone starts to pull away the series either adds weight, changes aero or reduces power to that team.  Outside of Audi's now gone LMP program there hasn't been an extremely dominant team in sports car racing.  Corvette might be considered dominant starting with their C5R and going forward from their they have been pretty consistent.  Even the race cars of the past weren't necessarily consistent world beaters.  They were definitely good but in many cases they were only dominant for a couple years before BOP and regulations would catch up.  Take a look at DTM in the 80's and 90's.  Our beloved M3 only won the championship twice.