WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Do you run a front plate?

WickedM4

On 4/13/2017 at 8:05 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Nobody will convince me that a license plate has any effect on radar or lidar, especially radar, where the wave is as scattered as it is.  Radar guns have no issue picking up non-metallic items such as baseballs.

Wow.....the radar works best on a vertical surface, the more flat and vertical is, the faster and more precise the radar is.

WI cops look for the front plate and aim for that.

You are arguing a tiny technicality to disprove something that has been said by actual officers and Radar manufacturers.  Just because the radar will work without a front plate, doesn't mean that the police doesn't look for and use the front plate as a default.

You're fantasy land is pretty bad ass.

• 3 weeks later...

I got pulled over on I-39 near Janesville on a Friday morning as I was going to pick my dad up for his chemo appointment.  I wasn't speeding so the only reason they pulled me over was the front plate.  I think one cop may have been training the other because two came to my car, which seemed unnecessary.  I was just told to put my front plate on and they let me go.  That was the only time I've ever been stopped for it.

When I lived in Chicago, I got a ticket for no front plate while the car was parked on the street.  They don't seem to be that aggressive here in Madison/Wisconsin.