WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI

Jdesign

30 minutes ago, B C said:

Freeze-12 is the way to go. Looking at that OBC.  

Do you think anyone actually uses the security code immobilizer on 80's BMWs anymore? I always thought it was cool but felt like it left a potential no-start diagnostic hell if the OBC went rogue

I will look into this freeze-12. I have yet to try the kit I have as I think I will need a hazmat suit to do the recharge. 

I considered it, then thought the exact thing. Apparently in these, you can pull the OCB and remove the glass fuse on the backside for a few seconds and it resets the code and alleviates the cause for "lock out" or "no start" issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Ughhhhh. These turn signals are driving me insane. There is a reason why BMW's get a bad rep for not using them, they use to be impossible to diagnose. 

I didn't take any pictures of this, but I pulled the stalk out and tested it and cleaned it. It works fine.

From here I looked at the wiring diagram and I am getting power to the hazards and to the stalk, the next thing in the path is the cluster.....

IMG_0818.JPG

This is the result. They did not design this dash to come apart easily. I needed to pull the HVAC unit anyways due to one of the controls being stiff. Once I got all 78 parts out I started looking at the cluster. I was hoping for a bad ground but found nothing. Instead I was distracted and noticed the odometer gears were on their way out. I must not have noticed it skipping, but the drive gear and secondary gears were missing teeth. The double E2 and E3 gears were both really really soft as well. 

IMG_0811.JPG

Now after I discovered this, I counted the teeth and went online to find replacements only to find something interesting. I recounted, yup thats how many teeth are on my drive gear; 13. After thinking and being really confused I noticed that someone must have swapped gears already in the past.

I have a 13(E1), 12/48(E2), and 19/48(E3). 

E1-The E1gear is always a 12 tooth gear. Somehow mine has 13, maybe there is a gap in the gear on purpose, but it looks like a tooth is missing.

E2- The E2 is always a black gear with a 12/48 ratio

E3- From my research it seems that all E24's only have two different E3 gears; 17/48 or 19/48. There are other models (both BMW and Mercedes) that use variations of the E3 gear ranging from 12-19, but they always have a 48 tooth outer gear. 

I ordered gears and will have to wait to put this all back together. Side tracked a bit, but I was exhausted from hunting down the turn signal issue and this needed attention anyways I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update

I fixed a bunch of things in one quick swoop

• turn signals work again-AND much much better that they ever have. Turns out (pun intended) that all of the hazards switches I had were failing to contact pin 5 internally. I was able to fix all of them. Thanks @YoungCR for lending me another switch that lead to insanity and also a successful repair. you can have your switch back in NOW working condition too :D I had an EE guy also BMW fan come over and we numbed our brains with liquor till we figured it out. 
  • Gauges all work again. YUSSS.- I installed the new gears and cleaned everything up and blew it al out with compressed air.
  • Reverse lights - they were not plugged in. I found out why, the wire sheething was wore where it passed through the tunnel to the switch fixed it and plugged them in. TA-DA!
  • Fix all the dash vents and levers- They were stiff and dirty. constant dust came out when the heat or AC was on. I took all the vents out and cleaned them and lubed all the vent levers and cables.
  • Sunroof - fabric was sagging. Took this apart and reattached the old fabric and cleaned all the parts and guides in the roof. 
  • Fuel check- I installed a check valve in the fuel line because I was reading that the fuel pump has a check valve that fails and causes laggy starts because of fuel bleeding back into the tank. I ordered one and installed it. This wasn't the problem. I still have in-consistent starts so after a quick install I grabbed the Voltmeter and checked the in-line fuel pump. No power. So the car has been running of of the lift pump. I have since ordered a new pump and lower filter, as there are also two fuel filters on this car. I read that replacing this pump can cause almost and instant change in power deliver that you can feel. Hopefully this is the last of the repairs!

Once again, no pictures. I will share more once I install the new pump and filter. 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, HipMF said:

This morning one of my co-workers had to show me a pic of a cool BMW that was following him this morning. I was like, "Oh, that's Jason." 👍

I saw him actually. He was struggling to get a picture in his rear view mirror turning into the industrial park, then I could see him snapping away as I passed. 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:07 PM, YoungCR said:

You’ll have to show me how to rebuild the switches, glad it helped solve the problem.

It's super easy. I did the first switch, that's why they worked for a little while then went back to drive Jason insane mode. At that point Didn't realize that was the actual problem and I was afraid to break the contacts. Out of all 3 switches I have, each one is different internally as well. I will post some pictures of the insides and what fails and how to fix it for future reference.

• 2 months later...

Drove this two weekends ago to the last C&C and the weather was amazing. I invited my friend Andy to come meet me and shoot this car and the 2002. Here are a few of the shots he captured.

DSC_5285.jpgDSC_5287.jpg

DSC_5288.jpg

DSC_5290.jpg

DSC_5292.jpg

DSC_5293.jpg

DSC_5295.jpg

DSC_5297.jpg

DSC_5300.jpg

DSC_5337.jpg

DSC_5347.jpg

DSC_5361.jpg

DSC_5365.jpg

DSC_5412.jpg

DSC_5438.jpg

DSC_5453.jpg

I intend to use these shots among the other 50+ he captured to list this car on BAT in the next coming weeks. I feel that the time I have spent bringing this car back and fixing its quirks were well worth it to me, and it's time to let someone else appreciate and enjoy it and at the same time give me more space to work on my E30. I have come to the realization that I will just continue fixing and improving this car if it sticks around as I have a hard time deeming anything "complete". If anyone is interested in purchasing the car before I list it, feel free to message me, I rather sell the car local to someone I know for less, than deal with listing fees and shipping.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Rekpoint said:

How easy was posting the car up on BAT? My dad and I are selling our 318ti in the spring and plan on posting it up there after we get it detailed and such. 

Pretty easy. They did mess out the content a few times so there were a few revisions before I gave it the thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jdesign changed the title to Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI