WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI

Jdesign

On 3/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, YoungCR said:

I for sure have a window switch and some black blanks.

When ever you will be around this week, I would love to grab those from you! 

So more updates with pictures!

I got the valance installed and I mocked up the Zender front lip. I will need to do some body work to make it look as it if flows properly. Originally its meant to mount to the euro front bumpers and not the ugly US ones. So someone just ran a bunch of screws through it and into the bumper side panels :(  I plan on getting hardware and fastening it in a more sensible fashion and fixing the edges/ holes, and painting it.

IMG_6687.JPGIMG_6688.JPGIMG_6689.JPGIMG_6692.JPGIMG_6693.JPG

In the meantime, I also need to figure out what to do about the side panels for the bumpers. I will probably gut them, and make a new metal structure underneath, and reuse the old foam rubber. Or I will make fiberglass versions using the old ones at templates for the molds, Im open for ideas if you guys have any. 

IMG_6716.JPGIMG_6717.JPG

I wish I could finds a set of world bumpers but I don't think that's going to happen. I did find an L6 for sale with euro bumpers but its about 6 hours away and I will need to trailer it.:confused: 

I also removed the rear cargo covers for the seats, and plan on using construction adhesive or some type of glue to help reattach the foam from peeling back off of the metal. 

IMG_6713.JPGIMG_6714.JPGIMG_6715.JPG

I guess I'm not gonna be much help with the bumper issue, other than saying that going to a junkyard/finding someone parting one of these cars out and buying the surrounds would probably be easier than trying to fix them yourself. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also like the idea of going to body color instead of the black. Just my two cents. And maybe I missed it, but did you ever post interior pics? I love the red interior on white combo.

Also, on an unrelated note, didn't you originally post that you weren't going to be able to keep the RS's?

5 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

I guess I'm not gonna be much help with the bumper issue, other than saying that going to a junkyard/finding someone parting one of these cars out and buying the surrounds would probably be easier than trying to fix them yourself. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also like the idea of going to body color instead of the black. Just my two cents. And maybe I missed it, but did you ever post interior pics? I love the red interior on white combo.

Also, on an unrelated note, didn't you originally post that you weren't going to be able to keep the RS's?

- (****IF****) you find one of these in the junk yard, I suggest you strip everything because its worth money

-Yeah I would like to go body color on the bumper surrounds. The world bumpers are body color and I was trying to keep an eye out for some, but 90% of the ones I have found are all rotted out just as bad as mine if not worse.

-I dont know if I have any interior pics. But I will share some soon enough just for you. :)

- And yes the RS's were not going to be a part of the deal, but Paul changed his mind and agreed to just sell them to me because he doesnt have a use for them and he already has too many wheels. 

1 minute ago, Jdesign said:

- (****IF****) you find one of these in the junk yard, I suggest you strip everything because its worth money

-Yeah I would like to go body color on the bumper surrounds. The world bumpers are body color and I was trying to keep an eye out for some, but 90% of the ones I have found are all rotted out just as bad as mine if not worse.

-I dont know if I have any interior pics. But I will share some soon enough just for you. :)

- And yes the RS's were not going to be a part of the deal, but Paul changed his mind and agreed to just sell them to me because he doesnt have a use for them and he already has too many wheels. 

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out. And that's pretty sweet, you planning on refinishing them or just running as-is?

22 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out. And that's pretty sweet, you planning on refinishing them or just running as-is?

They are in dire need of refinishing. Im not sure if they will stay with the car or not at this point. I plan on running some style 5's while they get a makeover.

A little construction adhesive goes a long way. Section by section, I glued and clamped around the perimeter of the covers getting the foamed rubber to reattach to the metal base. What a terrible and odd combination. I feel like a lot of the elements and construction methods on this car were examples of trying to use new materials with very little long term testing.

IMG_6721.JPGIMG_6722.JPG

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

Those gotta be the most expensive interior piece to replace, glad they turned out!

Really? Why is that? And yes I as glad they held together. Adhesives that would work with such an odd combinations are very slim and I was worried about any chemical type of bond could have melted the foam..  Glad I didn't have to find out.

2 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I remember looking for used ones 8 years ago and it wouldve been around $3-400 for a good pair. They all split over time and probably haven't been available through the dealer forever.

Sounds right on par with everything else on this damn car. <_<

So I spent more time last night removing tint adhesive. I have two windows left now. Im trying to do it little by little for a few reasons. 1. Its a lot of rubbing, scrubbing, and wiping and its exhausting. 2. the fumes from both the window tint glue and the lacquer thinner that it takes to remove it is overpowering even with a nice quality mask.

IMG_6727.JPGIMG_6728.JPG

I also installed the rear covers on their hinges and took some interior shots (sorry they are so dark) to share with you guys because @P_Roloff Said I didn't share any.

18-03-08_interior_01.JPG18-03-08_interior_03.JPG

My favorite and one of the most oddly obnoxious things on this car is the stainless door sills...

18-03-08_interior_07.JPG18-03-08_interior_09.JPG

And some temping before and after pictures of RS's in 16's and what they look like stepped to 18's

XBXJ6034.JPEGERKL8937.JPEG

• Jdesign changed the title to Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI