WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

jc43089

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

Crap, I wish I would've known sooner... time to start putting the m42 back

It's still sitting in my storage unit if you need it back. You might have to find a new harness though, because @GunMetalGrey harvested the C101 off of it for another project...

I'd like to crack it open to see what the inside of a 400k mile engine looks like, but I'm keeping it sealed in case I need to toss an NA motor back in the car.

If I can make the turbo downpipe bolt up to my "stock" exhaust, bouncing back and forth between turbo and NA should be a weekend project...

#epictangent #plan2fail

• 1 month later...

I welded in rear subframe reinforcements last weekend.  It was a little cold for painting so I set up some lights to keep the paint warm.

n087ENC.jpg?1

nuwWF3W.jpg?1

Not beautiful with flux core wire.

H4lVNQl.jpg?1

RRjvl5v.jpg?1

And subframe ready to go back in.  The aluminum subframe bushings are great.  I wanted to weld in the reinforcements because I was noticing a fairly loud pop noise every time I cornered left hard.  I had seen a crack in the mount on one spot and temporarily welded it.  I don't think that was the problem though because the weld still looked good.  I think the inner bushings on the Maxspeeding lower control arms are garbage already and that might be the problem.

Well the pop noise seems to be gone.  Something must have been flexing and now it isn't.  The inner bolt on the right lower control arm was a little loose so that could have been it too.  Next up I need to install an X brace I have laying around and new tie rods and get an actual alignment, it's tape measure close but could be better.

• 2 weeks later...

296k I'm living large now!  I finally installed a drivers door handle I got from Glen last July at Road America.  That is a deluxe feeling to not have to open the passenger door and reach across to use the inside handle.

It is a major pain to replace though, the window regulator needs to come out and the rear window track too.  I used my rivet nut tool to install m6 inserts to reattach the window regulator.  I took the opportunity to lube the window regulators and door/trunk latches with silicone, the windows work great now.

I also used the rivet nut tool to install the m8 rivet nuts for the X brace.  I got my alignment set up well.

-1.75 camber rear

.1 degree total toe in rear

-2 camber front

.1 degree total toe in front

Other than that just ripping it up in the snow, the LSD really helps.  I'm surprised it works so well for having so many miles on it.  I did drain and fill it with Redline 75w90 a while ago.

30 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

296k I'm living large now!  I finally installed a drivers door handle I got from Glen last July at Road America.  That is a deluxe feeling to not have to open the passenger door and reach across to use the inside handle.

It is a major pain to replace though, the window regulator needs to come out and the rear window track too.  I used my rivet nut tool to install m6 inserts to reattach the window regulator.  I took the opportunity to lube the window regulators and door/trunk latches with silicone, the windows work great now.

I also used the rivet nut tool to install the m8 rivet nuts for the X brace.  I got my alignment set up well.

-1.75 camber rear

.1 degree total toe in rear

-2 camber front

.1 degree total toe in front

Other than that just ripping it up in the snow, the LSD really helps.  I'm surprised it works so well for having so many miles on it.  I did drain and fill it with Redline 75w90 a while ago.

Now you know the feeling I had when trying to pull it.😂 I somehow got it jammed and it took me a few hours to get out.

• 3 months later...

I've just been driving it.  299,760 miles.  I want to go for a drive today just to hit 300k.  Sunroof drains must be plugged because water drips inside whenever it is raining which is super fun.  This week I think I will remove the whole sunroof and fab some brackets to do a poor mans sunroof delete.  I can't really spend 300$ on a CF sunroof delete panel. 

Front brake pads needed soon, that must be from practicing heel toe downshifting aggressively into the roundabout on the way to work every day.  I have some in my stash from the other car because that one is switching to e46 330 front brakes when it goes back together. 

I am loving the Indy500 tires.  They stick great.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:44 PM, wasnt m3 said:

I've done the sunroof delete using the original skin, super easy. Finished it up with 3m seam sealer and leak free.

Did you just fab some brackets/straps to hold the sunroof in place and then seam seal with tape underneath to keep it from dripping into the car?

• 2 months later...

Also for whatever reason this thing gets pretty great gas mileage.  I average about 27.5 mpg and I am not a hyper miler in any way.  Gentler driving not over 60mph and it is more like 32mpg.  I do use no ethanol 91 octane fuel, maybe those newer style fuel injectors help some.

• 4 months later...

303k with the cold weather comes adding 2 stroke oil in order to have decent compression for a cold start.  This thing must have been just beat to death for years.  Someday I will tear it down to find what is worn out so badly.  Interestingly enough when I used my leakdown tester it really didn't seem to leak much at all, I think around 5% on all cylinders.  But if it doesn't crank fast enough and start right away it will wash the cylinders down and then just crank forever.  I am not sure if it ever got run with the turbo that was on it or not, but there was a mixture of oily gravel in the intake manifold so that probably wasn't ideal.

37 minutes ago, B C said:

303k is impressive!

What oil do you run?

I use Royal Purple HPS 5w-30.  However it already had 272k on it when I acquired it so I am probably wasting my money.

Or did you mean the 2 stroke oil?  That is some blue stuff from the hardware store.  It says "go fast or be last" on the jug so it must be good.

3 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

*bob senses are tingling*

Love it.