WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Battery Cable Terminal

Andrew

Question

I'm finally trying to secure my battery properly (trunk mounted battery in an 89 325i), but i've got a bit of an issue.  The battery cable that is currently on the car does not appear to have the correct terminal on it, which means that it wont work with the proper battery (group 48?) The correct one is pictured below on the left (it has a unique 90 degree drop thingy), and the one that I have is similar to the one on the right (it's just straight).  Can I buy the correct end and crimp it on (i suspect not), or do i have to buy a whole new cable?  The problem with having the straight terminal is that it can't make the tight 90 degree corners in the battery well to connect to the positive terminal of the correct battery, which means i cant use the correct battery tie down.  The alternative is that i use a completely different battery and fabricate my own battery hold down.  This seems easier to me right now, but i value your opinions.

02_E30Cableend.jpg IMG_5520.JPG

18 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Snap said:

Yay for doing things on the e30

Yay indeed.  This is one of two things i need to fix at a minimum before i track it.  The other being, why does my tank leak fuel when more than half full, or when i corner hard right...  I've decided that i will have to commit seppuku if i dont track this car this year.

seppuku-o.gif

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

yup, exactly what i pictured.  be careful on those adapters, though, they may have a different post size which your cable wont clamp to.

I think i'll try this combo.  JIS post looks small and tapered, but they make shims to adapt to SAE post.

JIS to SAE post small.png

On 3/13/2017 at 10:33 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

This thread confuses me. Why do you need to change the end on the stock battery cable? 
Or is it not stock. 

Yes, the end on the cable is NOT stock, which is the source of all my issues.

Using the SAE to JIS adapter, i'm able to make a stock size battery fit.  I couldn't orient the adapter the way i wanted, but this orientation doesn't put the cable under much strain.  And now it's held down with the OEM clamp.  It's better now.  Hopefully good enough for a tech inspector.

IMG_5628_small.jpg