WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

24 Hours of Daytona 1/28 - 1/29

patsbimmer1

It's here!  The start of the Sports Car Racing season in the U.S.!  This Saturday marks the start of the IMSA Weathertech Sports Car series with the 55th running of the classic 24 hours of Daytona.  They have a few changes this year with most of them in the prototype classes.  

Porsche has their new 911 RSR which is a mid engined 911... you heard that right!  We have the return of BMW's M6 GTLM including the stupid FAST art car.  Ford's bringing 4 GT's to Daytona to give the C7R a run for first!

GTD changed the class spec to the world wide GT3 spec last year which made the series more accessible to teams with more factory made options (e.g M6 GT3, 911 GT3, etc.)  We have the addition of the AMG GT3 run by Weathertech who dropped a 911 in favor of it, the much anticipated NSX and the Lexus RC-F!  As always i'll be waving the Turner Motorsport flag in this class.

Prototype now has factory support from Cadillac, Mazda and Nissan after they shifted to a new global platform.

This all starts on Saturday at 1pm on Fox with coverage throughout the race on multiple platforms.  See below for the schedule.

http://www.imsa.com/events/rolex-24-daytona-0

Me to!  GTD has grown a lot and with more people taking on the GT3 spec it should be exciting for awhile.  Even the Continental series should be great to watch with the adoption of the GT4 spec.  Ford is working on a new Mustang GT4 based on the 350r and Mclaren joined the series this year with the 570S GT4.  Should be a great year!

The Continental race was great yesterday! The bimmerworld 328i had 1st with a minute left and was passed by a Cayman on the oval which wasn't surprising.  Coming into turn 1 the bimmerworld car went wide and had an off and ended up losing a handful of positions!  They easily had a podium in site but 1 mistake cost them horribly and the Cayman's took 1-2-3.

The Mini team won it's first race in the ST class!  For anyone who hasn't seen these guys rip this thing around the track in a race, I highly suggest it!  They're just as aggressive as anyone out there and it was awesome to see them get a win!

The flag drops in Daytona at 1:30 with coverage starting at 1 on Fox!  Let's go Turner Motorsport and BMW Team RLL!