WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 help. Please

ThatRatRodProject

So I had check engine light for the secondary air pump. Witch was one of three things. The pump the evap valve and the control switch. Turns outs the pump and vacuum control switch. So I got everything in that system to checkout and work. But immediately after fixing this problem. I got another code a POO11. I guess I'm wondering is this is because of something that I did. I look up symptoms of a faulty cam sensor. And I do not have any symptoms that point to a faulty cam sensor. I took pictures of Live stream data at idle about two grand and at four grand.

Any information or pointers would be great.

Can personally message me at 262 483 0545.

Or respond on the forum.

e40d838dcf8ab71c70aa9951f3ea0e94.jpg575da70fec40bde8bbd2fd4c6c5f65a2.jpgdc84e527a1240f8930d730792b080f87.jpg734681abe6cb97e74335aa76b44a2f30.jpg58e983eca450aa034ca58fd29870003a.jpg701eda7d1e9e6c45c883250bdca48144.jpgf1f3d9b780f43bbe7fdcab3f1a341388.jpg

Did you recently do an oil change?

You may want to look into cleaning the vanos solenoid(s). I dont want to send you on a wild goose chase with unnecessary tasks, but its fairly simple and worth looking into

I will definitely be doing this I'm not due for a oil change yet but I'm going to do one today to try to remove any possible reasons why it would be acting up. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't properly get a good look at the pattern for a cam sensor without a scope.  The circuit for a cam sensor is pretty simple so unless you nicked a wire while doing the evap stuff then it was nothing you caused.  The signal goes straight from the cam sensor to the ECU so the check engine light is only reporting data that the sensor is giving.  I would assume it's either vanos related or the cam sensor actually is faulty.  I'd lean towards a vanos solenoid issue.

You can't properly get a good look at the pattern for a cam sensor without a scope.  The circuit for a cam sensor is pretty simple so unless you nicked a wire while doing the evap stuff then it was nothing you caused.  The signal goes straight from the cam sensor to the ECU so the check engine light is only reporting data that the sensor is giving.  I would assume it's either vanos related or the cam sensor actually is faulty.  I'd lean towards a vanos solenoid issue.

Is it common that the vanos solenoid fails or that it just gets dirty.

I know I'm late to the party and this recommendation is also potentially late...  I know on my S-motor I replace the micro filter on my Vanos unit roughly once a year.  It's super cheap, super easy to do, and I know a few people who have had a lot of luck with that preventing Vanos issues.

$0.02

I know I'm late to the party and this recommendation is also potentially late...  I know on my S-motor I replace the micro filter on my Vanos unit roughly once a year.  It's super cheap, super easy to do, and I know a few people who have had a lot of luck with that preventing Vanos issues.

$0.02

Thanks for the info. I will also clean that filter.

Well I went threw cleaned everything rest the codes. Drive about a 175 miles and SES light comes back. Plug in the scanner and it's the secondary air bank one and secondary air bank two. I have replaced the smog pump. Checked the evap valve with a vacuum pump. It was between 15" and 18" of vacuum so that's fine. So I then checked the vacuum control switch. No vacuum. Replaced the line and the switch. Still no vacuum. So next step was I check to see if I was getting power at plug for the vacuum control valve. There was power at the plug. I then tested the valve it self ran power to the control switch and the valve opened. I blew in one end air came out the other. Then I put it all back together and check it again this morning. Still no vacuum. Yes I check the fuses. Any help would be great. Good thing no more cam sensors check engine light.