WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello

Iceddragon

It had an awkward vibration around 70 the day I brought it home, which then moved to around 80 and eventually to 90. Not a wobble, just an odd shake sort of thing which had me a little worried because this is only my second car and the first with aftermarket wheels and tires, so I have no idea if that's normal or not. But that has since disappeared entirely so I completely love them.

I got to take them out to a couple cruises recently and they are SO MUCH stickier and firmer than the old run-flats. One bad thing happened though, I got a couple of chips on the inside of 2 spokes, like a rock or something got into the wheels and got bounced around while driving. I was pretty bummed about that because the wheels were practically brand new before that and I've been extremely paranoid about curbing them, but I guess shit happens and I'll just live with it.

I also finally threw on some new chrome trim on the nose. I had been considering blacking everything out, but the chrome looks nice with this color so I'm going to own it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17NTTeunG1mKALTWahw_DBIsYmMdwG7LHSw

On another note, a local cruising buddy that is into BMW's just traded in his E46 325xi for an E46 M3... Suddenly I feel a stronger urge to get one.

IMG_20170418_174022.jpg

So I've got an update; After this discussion I did some more research and decided you guys are probably right about E90 pricing. I was pretty bummed for a few days because I think that's just too much of a commitment with some things going on at work, but then something interesting happened. 

The guy I mentioned above with the new E46 M3. Something kind of hit a spot in me and I did a complete switch into wanting to get one of those, and that's where I am now. The math just sort of works out, its a crazy fun car and way faster than what I have now, but for a lot less than the E90. This means I can probably get one by the end of this year if things go right (maybe even sooner), instead of end of next year.

Long story short, I am actively looking for a new place to move into (wife's only limitation on me getting the M3 is that she gets a dog, which requires a move) and am doing damn near constant research on what I need to know about E46's.

One important aspect would be the gearbox...I know how you guys feel about manuals, but what is the SMG actually like? For someone in my position it sounds pretty good if I'm honest, and they go for considerably less than manuals.

The only beauty of the SMG is that it can be converted to a manual less than the price difference of buying a manual. I'm biased against automatics, the DCT in the e9x M3's is very fun but the e46 SMG is aweful. It's slow shifting and clunky.

• 4 weeks later...

So this weekend I went to do the River Valley Road Rally, representing proper bavarian vehicles in a good sporting event on awesome roads. I've been looking forward to this for 6 months now, and everything was going great, lots of cars came out and there was even another BMW (white 135i with an M front end). Spent the night hanging out with Viga (from Viga Designs) and his awesome wrapped M4. 

But unfortunately something broke and the engine started to overheat. Spent 6 hours on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck and get home, and now the shop may not even get to it for two weeks. Pics below.

IMG_20170602_173220-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20170602_223814.jpg

18881833_1422103921190926_7632303168296384958_n.jpg

IMG_20170603_194611.jpg

2 hours ago, Snap said:

Ahhhh crap!

Friday ~6:30p I believe I saw you guys parked in front of Chuck E Cheese on HWY 100.

I was across the street and was debating whether to go chat with the owners but figured I may come across as some uninvited crazy guy.

Aww you should have come over! It was just ~20 of us at B-Dubs for Alex's birthday, just a sort of low key group. I even had my wife with me for the rally. We went straight to Madison after leaving there.

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I swear, Viga has a new car every year!

Apparently he has had 14 BMW's, most of them M's. Viga is a genuinely nice person and I'm glad we got to spend some time together, it was nice to spend a night with someone so well versed in BMW's, its been quite a long time since I don't think any of you guys live near me. 

On a side note, I mentioned to him that I was trying to grab an E46 M3, and he told me that he just sold an old Tirerack show car with 80k miles on it, for $16,500. He told me about it at Wisconsin Modified (The WCEC automotion show I was helping out at) but I didn't have the cash then. Damn, I still don't... But that would have been an awesome car to own, some actual cool history to go with a great car.

In other news, I got a ride to the shop the car is sitting at and spoke to the mechanic, he seems to think its not a water pump failure and suspects a tank (the storage tank I guess? I'm not used to dealing with this). Apparently they get brittle with age and tend to go. That would be nice, and a lot cheaper, but we will find out tomorrow morning.

Also for anyone curious about why the car is getting towed on dolly's instead of a flat bed, lets just say I was very upset and that whole experience turned into a giant shit show. I'll have to find the review my wife left for the towing company, or maybe I'll write it out myself if anyone is curious. 

As long as they have the dollies under the rear wheels it's fine to tow like that.  For a low car it might be easier than loading onto a rollback truck, it all depends on the truck.  Bummer to wait so long for a tow, I had an experience like that once, only about 4 hours though.  It was a comedy of errors, the first tow truck they sent had a fuel pump fail on the way and then they sent a different one to retrieve it or repair it before they actually came to tow my car.  I wasn't going to complain too much though because I had signed up for AAA specifically to tow an e30 I bought home.  A tip for AAA users, to save a huge hassle and lots of questions if you are trying to tow a car from a mechanic shop absolutely get it out onto the road and do not mention the address of the repair shop.

8 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

Apparently he has had 14 BMW's, most of them M's. Viga is a genuinely nice person and I'm glad we got to spend some time together, it was nice to spend a night with someone so well versed in BMW's, its been quite a long time since I don't think any of you guys live near me. 

I agree, I met him at a Stance Wisconsin show probably 7 or 8 years ago and I think he had a 335i.  I stopped and chatted with him and he was really nice, very genuine and happy to just sit and talk to a stranger about cars.  I've run into him a few times since then and you always know when you see one of his cars.

8 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

I broke an axle once. Snap remembers. They put it on dollies as well. Snap made good friends with the tow truck people.

Expansion tank popped is what it sounds like?

That's the one, yeah. Or at least that's what he suspects, and it does make sense. There was no CEL at all, the car just started to overheat, and fast. The only thing that is odd about that is that it was holding coolant, it didn't pour everything out. It only leaked while it was extremely hot.

I broke an axle once. Snap remembers. They put it on dollies as well. Snap made good friends with the tow truck people.

Expansion tank popped is what it sounds like?

That's the one, yeah. Or at least that's what he suspects, and it does make sense. There was no CEL at all, the car just started to overheat, and fast. The only thing that is odd about that is that it was holding coolant, it didn't pour everything out. It only leaked while it was extremely hot.

Assuming you shut it down quickly, sounds like put a new expansion tank I , bleed system and be on your way

Just now, KaiserRolls said:

Assuming you shut it down quickly, sounds like put a new expansion tank I , bleed system and be on your way

Yeah I pulled over at the first road, not even 1000 feet from when the indicators came on. Everyone tried to convince me to limp it home or try to continue but I didn't feel like taking a chance on permanently damaging the engine.

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

Hope you made the best of the rally! That was Damon in the white 135i with 1M-style bumpers. Nice guy.

Sucks about your car. I'd say it's the water pump or expansion tank. If you shut her down early on, you should be safe.

I had fun and my wife even started enjoying it, I'll definitely be doing it again next year. Hopefully I'll have the M3 by then though.