WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Suspension set up for E92 335i

NCSL

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

Need some advice/reviews on suspension set up for my 335i.

A bit of history : I got the car knowing that one of the dampers on the KW V2 is leaking. Was advised that I could get them refurbished here in sunny Kuala Lumpur at minimal cost. Like a dumb schmuck, I believed it. So, I went that route and serviced/refurbished all 4 dampers. It was ok for about a month and then the initially leaking damper started leaking again. So, got it serviced again (at no charge). But it started leaking again after about 1.5 months. I just had it serviced/refurbished again today. It's only 1 damper that's having this issue. And it's getting a tad frustrating.

I've now been told by agents/dealers in Singapore (there are no official dealers here in Malaysia - although some people carry KW products) that no one in Malaysia or Singapore can properly service/refurnish KW dampers because they don't have the equipment. I have now lost any shred of faith in the mechanic doing the job and looking to either get new dampers or change the set up.

So now I have a couple of choices. The more expensive choice is to get a new set of KW V2 dampers. The less expensive option is to change to ST coilovers (model XA). Somewhat in between (but probably nearer to the more expensive option) is to install the stock suspension or MSport one (still waiting for quotes on these). Original BMW parts in this part of the world are on the more expensive side and our currency values are not helping (but that's another discussion altogether).

What I know is that ST is owned by KW. The ST XA is probably the KW V1. The difference between V1 and V2 is the adjustability options (and linear or progressive damping - greek to me). The difference between ST and KW is that the ST does not use stainless steel and can rust (this is not an issue here in Malaysia weather conditions).

I don't track the car. Some spirited driving and cruising on highways mostly. So, I'm thinking that I won't need all that adjustability of the V2. I wouldn't want or need anything too harsh/hard. I haven't tried BMW original suspension so have no comparison.

Has anyone tried the ST XA? Reviews please.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the XA's are available for the e9x chassis right now.  I know the ST X and the ST XTA are available.

The BMW suspension is fine but not comparable to ST or KW as far as control goes.  If you liked the KW V2 then the ST XTA would be in between the V2 and V3 and would come as a total solution with adjustable camber plates to ensure a perfect alignment which is as important as the parts going on the car.  The OEM suspension does a decent job and is definitely more comfortable than a set of coilovers but doesn't have near the handling abilities.  I've been in quite a few cars with the ST X's and they ride well enough for a coilover but handling is where they out perform the OEM.

It's going to come to personal preference, if you liked the KW V2 then go with the XTA.  If you want a softer ride with upgraded control then go with the KW Street Comfort or ST X.  If NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) is your main concern then get the OEM.  You can always throw lowering springs on it to get the ride height you want but they will never handle as well as the coilover options you listed.

For my own e90 i'll be looking to pick up a set of ST XTA's.  Hopefully this helps a little.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

The "ST XT" is what the SA informed me. I'll go take a look at the actual goods next week to determine things.

As far as the V2 is concerned, TBH, I'm not sure I know them very well. I have a nagging feeling that serviced/refurbished dampers by my mech does not equate to the same quality as out of the factory. Anyway, be that as it may, I'm not leaning towards the V2 because I really don't think I'll need all that adjustabality. I'm likely to set it once, maybe twice, and leave it alone.

By the way, my issue is that my V2 springs are fine and it's the dampers that are worn. To get the dampers alone, it cost almost as much as getting the whole set (springs and dampers) and it's way out of my budget. I've been getting quotes for anything from USD2200 to USD3000 for a full set. And no lifetime warranties. I'm not even sure that there are any warranties. For just the set of dampers alone, the lowest quote I got was for around USD2000.

I just got a quote to get stock suspension. It's about the same as the dampers for the V2.

Given the above, I'm sort of leaning towards the ST. Seems bang for the buck, as they say. And the good thing is that they are available near me. I won't have to wait a few weeks like I would with the V2. And there is a 2 years warranty on the ST.

Anyway, I'll only decide within the month. Just wanted to know if there's any feedback on the ST. Reading the M3 forums, the reviews have been mixed on the ST. But I guess the M3 is a different animal from the 335i.

Anyway, thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

P/S : to I_love_cars, that's a very nice looking ride! Wished I had gotten rims like yours....they look the bomb!

I was under the impression that kw v2 had a lifetime warranty IF they were bought from an approved retailer. Not sure how that works or if it transfers to a new owner or applies in your country. I was trying to figure it out before getting them for my Volvo.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I was under the impression that kw v2 had a lifetime warranty IF they were bought from an approved retailer. Not sure how that works or if it transfers to a new owner or applies in your country. I was trying to figure it out before getting them for my Volvo.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

They do kind of.  It's not the lifetime warranty that you may have in mind.  It's non transferable and only protects the consumer against defects from the manufacturer not normal wear and tear.  This means if a set of coilovers wear out and start leaking in 20k miles then that could be considered "normal wear and tear" per KW.  KW doesn't state what the expected life is from their coilovers.  Now, I have heard success stories with people contacting KW and having them rebuilt for free or for the cost of freight but it doesn't mean that is the norm.

I stand corrected.  After putting my foot in my mouth I emailed KW for their response and this is what I got.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for contacting KW. I would be more than happy to answer these questions for you.

1.       Does the warranty cover replacement or rebuilding when they wear out?

Yes it does, but keep in mind not all items fall within the limited lifetime period. Some items such as bushings or bump stops only have a 1 year warranty. Please see the link at the very bottom for details on our terms and conditions.

2.       What mileage would it be considered premature wear?

There is no service interval or set time of operation as many of our customers use them for motorsports and daily driving. That makes it difficult to place a set time on them. basically we repair them as needed and we have seen customers make them last 5 years but we also see some need repairs around a year after purchase. This is mainly determined by how you use your vehicle.

3.       If they do need to be replaced or rebuilt under warranty am I responsible for the freight? 

You are responsible for freight to our facility but we cover freight back to you.

Now I've been given another option to consider : Eibach springs matched with Bilstein B8 (they tell me the whole set up is called B12)

Any comments on this set up?

I don't mind the non-adjustability. And I suppose replacement parts are easily available here.

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, NCSL said:

Now I've been given another option to consider : Eibach springs matched with Bilstein B8 (they tell me the whole set up is called B12)

Any comments on this set up?

I don't mind the non-adjustability. And I suppose replacement parts are easily available here.

Thanks in advance

It's a good alternative and less expensive but you won't get the same handling as you would out of a set of coilovers.  

Coilovers>shock/spring combo>OEM

Thanks.

Yes, a less expensive option. And the truth is that I'm not one who will appreciate all that adjustability with a coilover. I read somewhere, someone said, "I'm an enthusiast driver, not an expert". Which describes me quite accurately.

In terms of suspension systems, yes i understand coilovers>shock/springs combo>OEM

On my Alfa, I have an Alfa approved lowered springs (made by Eibach) and Bilstein dampers which I really liked (prior to that, I had a full Eibach or KW set up, which was way too aggressive for my daily need). But couldn't find the Bilstein when i needed to replace them. Ended up with Sachs dampers. Anyway, the Alfa is a different animal from the 335.

Anyway...that's another story.

I suppose part of the issue is that there aren't that many 335i in Malaysia. I could be way off, but I'll bet there are less than 100 in the whole country. As an indication, the official BMW dealer here told me that at the time of the E92 launch, they only every sold less than 5 units. Most running around now are grey imports from the UK (like my unit is). So, there doesn't appear to be much camaraderie in terms of info sharing. I've seen other varients of the E92 on the road...again, not that many.

So, back on topic :

Maybe I'll go the B12 route then try to get KW to rebuild the V2 dampers (if it makes sense to, cost wise), and we'll see.

Here is Malaysia, services are relatively cheaper. So we don't really bother with DIY.

The adventure continues....