WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

53 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

ill take it! paypal/willing to ship? i could also come pick it up.

Whatever would work best for you=) Let me quick find it in the garage tonight so I can be sure it didn't get legs and walk off

aaaaand the parts go clunky clunk. my CSB sounds like its dead again. assuming my driveshaft is bad, causing the repeated issue from last year. 😢 link for my reference

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1834781-Failed-CSB-Bad-u-joint

at least its easy to replace, and I bought it from FCP so ill get a new one for free.

• 2 weeks later...

woot woot, stubby antenna, thanks to earl giving me a great deal on the ti base. also got the long antenna, which I will keep in the trunk for rides into the boonies where reception goes to hell.  (to install just buy the match grommet. everything else is plug and play)

g67KWkQ.jpg

also finally had the opportunity to remove the trunk ballast. for those not familiar with e30s, there is a large amount of this super heavy, tar like weight ballast in the trunk of 6-cyl e30s for weight balance/sound deadening. it is not needed. to remove, wait for a hot day and leave your trunk open in the sun and it just pries right off with a hammer claw/screw driver. 

Dl4Z0AT.jpg

this stuff is heavier than it looks!
CSiwlE3.jpg

also swapped CSBs. although the driveshaft's u-joints spin freely, the front one has some play which i assume is the main cause of the CSB wearing quickly. i've got my eye out for a used e36 m3 driveshaft. the csb pulls off easily in two parts with a 3-jaw puller. to install the new one, I used a length of PVC (1-1/4, i believe) with the correct inner diameter and tapped it on.

X6jDMW3.jpg

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today my car has radio reception
  • 3 weeks later...

small updates.  a nice roaring/vibration sound started last weekend suddenly, when shifting the cars weight to the left side. pretty easy to diagnose as a wheel bearing. 

old vs. new 

yzs5wGb.jpg

the old hub pulled off by hand (bonus!) 

DKpBtos.jpg

securing nut replaced, as well. torque to 210ft lbs. (or approximate if your torque wrench only goes to 100ftlbs.)
uQxvlcw.jpg

decided to pull apart the old bearing to see what wore out. "well there's your problem" 

jKDq1g6.jpg

also, i got a little more sound transmission than i liked through the car after removing the rear trunk tar, so i put a couple lbs of dynamat xtreme back in. solved. 
UsUPrsA.jpg

replaced a worn tie rod and had the car aligned. 

x8LYqsh.jpg

first autox is Sunday!!!!!! stayed tuned for video. 

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today i drove it like i stole it
  • 1 month later...

been slacking on videos/photos from the summer. mostly because gopro changed their studio software and made it 100% useless, and the learning curve on free video software is steep enough to annoy me from finishing. anyways, snapped a photo I liked this weekend on a fishing expedition:

DSC_3523_Export.jpg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

This car is goals.

Whats the front seat setup? Also, what is the CSB set up for your driveshaft? I have 4 bolt E36 M3 DS and I bought an E36 CSB. I have read you need to run an E30 one backwards?

aww thanks.  front seats are stock sport seats. I don't have any problems staying put during autox with them.

correct on the CSB - use an e30 one with the e36 driveshaft. the orientation does matter for aligning the driftshaft with the tunnel/trans. I THOUGHT i had it 'backwards' the first time i changed my CSB, but it ended up being incorrect and made the driveshaft offset to the side slightly. if you look at my photo above with the 3-jaw puller, that was the incorrect orientation.

8 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

aww thanks.  front seats are stock sport seats. I don't have any problems staying put during autox with them.

correct on the CSB - use an e30 one with the e36 driveshaft. the orientation does matter for aligning the driftshaft with the tunnel/trans. I THOUGHT i had it 'backwards' the first time i changed my CSB, but it ended up being incorrect and made the driveshaft offset to the side slightly. if you look at my photo above with the 3-jaw puller, that was the incorrect orientation.

Well I'm gonna have to order another one then...

52 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

make sure you mock it up first to check. its possible that motor mounts/trans type/trans mounts/prior vehicle accidents/etc may create slightly different alignments.

Is it the holes on the bracket of the CSB that makes them fit differently? Do they mount to the under body portion of the car?

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today it rained

right after it rains is a great time for night photography. i happened to have my camera late tonight after the storm rolled through milwaukee. (albeit only with a wide angle, so the variety of shots is not very...varied) 

also didnt have a tripod, so everything was hand-held and and shot wide-open, so the depth of field is not great. but i digress.

nApIqAZ.jpg

dxfs8Mo.jpg

lzEFkqx.jpg

SyCac2v.jpg

x59tr98.jpg

N0aonP1.jpg

nnZ0rTs.jpg

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped