WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

question for you other e30 guys - i found a third ground wire broken inside the sheathing of the front brake wear sensor wiring. since it was broken off, I cant tell where it leads to. (i'm trying to eliminate the dash light). I've shorted the circuit to get the light off, but its still on. i assume that ground wire exits the harness and get grounded to something on the strut housing, but I cant confirm this. i can't find evidence of it in the ETM or photos. i also assume it has nothing to do with the brake sensor itself, and may be just an extra harness ground. 

That is strange about the third wire. Where was the wiring cut? Is the connector where the replaceable sensor plugs in missing and that’s where you are shorting it?

re the light, since it’s all on the same circuit is the rear sensor good? Short both and see if that helps. Also I read somewhere that if both sensors are good (shorted or newly replaced) then it could be a solder issue with the resistor on the si board. I’ve never had to go that far, just shorted the front and rear.

1 hour ago, Boris3 said:

That is strange about the third wire. Where was the wiring cut? Is the connector where the replaceable sensor plugs in missing and that’s where you are shorting it?

re the light, since it’s all on the same circuit is the rear sensor good? Short both and see if that helps. Also I read somewhere that if both sensors are good (shorted or newly replaced) then it could be a solder issue with the resistor on the si board. I’ve never had to go that far, just shorted the front and rear.

the brown wire was cut 1-2" back from the connector for the sensor plug. the whole pigtail had been disconnected and pulled back into the engine back and tucked away. i want to put it back to where it goes, just need to know where that brown wire is connected (if it is). i guess its possible BMW used the same pigtail on other models that required the ground and on the e30 its not connected, but i have my doubts. i dont remember ever having to undo a ground behind the strut assembly during other maintenance, but its been awhile since I've pulled a front strut

i sorted the rear sensor (cut and shorted) when I put the ebrakes back together. i also have read about the SI board as the next suspect. i've had the cluster out once for soldering, it needs to come out again anyways so i'll peek at that.

looked at the brake wear sensor wiring again. the picture below shows how i found it, with a ground wire cut. i still cant find an ETM diagram, photo, or mention of the ground strap. 

ViFGkTzh.jpg

anyway, I attached the ground and checked the cluster again to see if the light turned off. no joy. i assume the cluster has a fault.

KwVYc5Nh.jpg

The next thing I moved onto was finishing up the washer system hook up. I had to remove (or so I thought) the under hood insulation to get at the components. 

KoOvVr6h.jpg

its held on by several plastic pop rivets, which are a really difficult to pry off with a screwdriver. so, I decided to take 2 min to make a rivet popper tool from a shelf bracket.

hviZrKTh.jpg

worked a charm

4l3TdkSh.jpg

insulation removed. you can barely see the main feed line running up the right side of the hood. the one-way "T" splitter is in the middle top. 

SV9A9M7h.jpg

i fished out the pigtail of hose from the bottom of the hood. 

8qkwuEXh.jpg

and hooked it up to the tank line

qx8tAb3h.jpg

much to my surprise, everything worked! i expected a plugged nozzle/fitting or a leak, but there are no problems. however, the spray pattern looked like a bar chart of our economy.

5oXj9GSh.jpg

i used an o-ring pick to align the nozzles better. they now hit squarely at my eye level near the middle of the windscreen. 

Wdq7r6Wh.jpg

next project was to tackle the final light shining on the check control panel - the oil level warning

for those unfamiliar with e30 24v swaps, some of the engine harnesses used do not come with wiring for the engine oil level, which is the case here. i dont need an oil level sensor, I check my oil regularly, so no point in connecting the system and replacing the expensive level sensor when it inevitably stops working. i decided instead to deactivate the light by tricking the check control to believe the sensor is working. 

here is the ETM page for the oil level sensor.

notes on the diagram below

1.In the small green box you can see the oil levels sensor wiring is connected from the sensor to the car at the C101 plug. on the e30, this is next to the fuse box. 

2.Under the red arrow, BMW has kindly described how the switch works. we are trying to emulate a "full" oil level condition, so we can see from the description that the state switch should be closed and the dynamic switch open.

3. the harness is 3-wire. in the closed state, we can see the voltage travel straight through the sensor to ground (orange line)  from the #2 Pin on the C101 connector. The 2nd wire, coming from #10 pin on the C101, needs to stay open (not grounded). However, you'll notice the little squiggly line which is bypassing the dynamic switch on that wire. That is a resistor, which is always grounded through the switch. So, this 2nd wire needs to be grounded, but with a resistor inline. I dug online and someone had already checked the resistance of the sensor (1000ohms). The 3rd wire is just the ground wire, which does not come from the C101, just from a chassis ground (G183) which is on the passenger strut tower. 

3zXMXTUh.jpg\

here is the C101 connector. when i opened it up, I found the remnants of the #2 and #10 pin wires, which is correct because the 24v engine harness does not use them. (green and blue cut wires). 

j9GLoN9h.jpg

i used my handy-dandy antenna pin puller tool to remove them.

DrhyLf5h.jpg

then i stole some OEM pins/pigtails from my parts bin an installed them to give me more wire to work with. 

SlQRrhyh.jpg

two new wire ready to be spliced in. 

WqfWHZ3h.jpg

here is the resistor for the 2nd wire. I did not have a 1000ohm resistor around, so I put three 330ohm resistors in series, then shrink wrapped them. there is also a jacketed solid copper wire inside to support them since the wires on resistors are pretty flimsy. 

Qj8laDjh.jpg

here i've spliced the resistor in, and connected both the wires together to run them to ground. 

XQdeSvRh.jpg

I ran the wire across the engine harness to the passenger strut chassis ground. 
F7c0055h.jpg

In this picture the car is running. it might not look like much, but its a rare thing you are seeing. 
czTAGA6h.jpg

lastly for the night, i reset my SI board lights. I actually tried to do this when I bought the car, but was unsuccessful and thought maybe it was wired incorrectly. 

however, after attempting again, it worked. 

basic steps:

1. create jumper wire. this can be anything metal that you can stick in the two diagnostic port pins. coat hanger, copper wire, whatever. I spliced to connector pins together. 

2. per the diagram i've sloppily drawn and the picture below, you put the pins into pin receptacles #19(ground) and #7(SI control). then turn the key to position 2 and wait a few seconds. the lights on the SI should light up green and then you can turn the car off. voila!

PBKsYy8h.jpg

hNSroDrh.jpg

since I was poking around, i decided to take a look at my coolant level sensor. the check control warning light has been intermittent, despite the overflow tank being full. the plug seems fine, but when i pull the sensor from the tank, it fell apart. a new one is on order. you'll also notice in this photo that my newish overflow tank has already started its transformation into a lovely yellow butterfly, after only a couple years. 

YIGNKSMh.jpg

2018 photo, showing new white tank. *sad face*:

RUoai4J.jpg

went fishing yesterday. worked on the car today. life is good.

time to tackle my window trim. problems: 1. two pieces of trim are trying to jettison from the car. 2. chrome window trim is so 70s. 

the upper trim where it comes down to the front fenders likes to fly off of e30s at highway speeds. luckily, last year it decided to come loose when I had the roof rack on, so it couldnt fly away. i had it temporarily taped in place:

od24XmYh.jpg

with the tape removed, you can see how the trim was failing. those little rust spots are where the clips are supposed to be holding the trim to body seam.

of2Tupfh.jpg

here is a set of new clips. you need (4) for one side of the car. I ordered (5) for good measure. 

2wrcTaih.jpg

old clip (rusty and the little sharp tangs are worn down) vs new. 

at8txpEh.jpg

to fix, simply slide or pull out the old clips and push the new ones in with a screwdriver. if you cant get the old ones out, just leave them and install the new clips next to them. its not worth bending your trim to try and get them out. 

OQq4OLKh.jpg

and done. 

OUmzoYXh.jpg

the next trim piece that was falling off was the driver's side rear 'wing'.  you can see it here sticking out from the body. 

9zLYQDXh.jpg

to remove, just carefully pry it straight away from the car. be sure to slide the little clip out of the way at the top where it meets the upper trim. 

aoZP3Qsh.jpg

under, you'll find four holes/grommets. if you remove the trim, you'll likely have to replace all four, so have them on hand. there are (3) 51131870459 and (1) 51141902279 which is actually the same grommet used for the hood emblems. new grommets pushed in place:

cHsHjbQh.jpg

trim reinstalled

GqWG0mTh.jpg

all lined up again.
ASPwYOih.jpg

at the same time, I 'shadowlined' the chrome window trim. most e30s came with some amount of chrome trim. early cars, all the trim was chrome. later cars had a mix. m3s, 318is, and other special cars (Mtech) had full black trim. it may have also been an option? not sure. my car is a late car with a mix (chrome upper/lower trim, black window trim, black front and rear windshield lockstrips) 

6ROepeVh.jpg

the car has the rear pop-up windows, so you have to remove them to properly paint the trim that is under the seals. removal is easy - one phillips screw at the pop-out latch, and two 8mm nuts behind the clothes hanger hook and seat belt on the B-pillar. no interior trim has to be removed. 

wYGodwfh.jpg

i saved all my packing paper from FCPeuro orders (they overdo the paper) to use as masking paper

cGxNGNih.jpg

starting the masking job

jKOz5Y8h.jpg

masking all complete. note: unplug your battery because you'll need to leave your doors open for extended periods of time.

Jw5cJA1h.jpg

d7msh44h.jpg

sand all the trim with light grit (220) to prep the shiny chrome surface to receive the primer. 

xBi9ij5h.jpg

i usually use SEM trim paint for this job, but i'm sick of tracking it down so I went with store-bought rustoleum trim paint. in the end, I was happy with the finish. it is slightly more glossy than SEM, but matches the factory trim finish well. my only gripe is the nozzle is a wide spray pattern, which is super wasteful on thin trim. i sprayed most of the trim with the can twisted to get more coverage. 

Vwj0QbZh.jpg

did two coats of self etching primer

FIrFQR0h.jpg

patiently wait at least 12 hours to pull your masking tape (hardest part of the job) 

and boom, done. 
GlkQMmXh.jpg

i am just about wrapped up for the 'winter' projects. I took the car out, washed it, and drove it.  much smiles.

YJrhaU2h.jpg

more to do: 

replace pulley idlers (squeek squeek squeek)

replace coolant level sensor

adjust rear coil heights (after pulling the car out and looking from a distance I can see its not even from side to side) 

alignment

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined

I appreciate the amount of effort you put into your posts for us bozos on here.

I need to do the shadow line trim on my car. Debating having one of buddies who owns a wrapping business do them just so I'm not committed to one color or the other.

What lens/body were you using on the last shot?

5 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I appreciate the amount of effort you put into your posts for us bozos on here.

I need to do the shadow line trim on my car. Debating having one of buddies who owns a wrapping business do them just so I'm not committed to one color or the other.

What lens/body were you using on the last shot?

Wrapping is a great idea! In the old days before vinyl warp, electrical tape was the go to for those wary of painting. 

Camera is a d7200 with an f1.8 35mm lens.  I set it to f1.8 for that shot 

1 minute ago, straight6pwr said:

Wrapping is a great idea! In the old days before vinyl warp, electrical tape was the go to for those wary of painting. 

Camera is a d7200 with an f1.8 35mm lens.  I set it to f1.8 for that shot 

I had a suspicion it was a 35mm. Definitely the next one on my list.

stopped at a couple spots while running errands and snapped a few more photos since the car was clean. tried to go to places that are now empty due to the situation where normally cars and people might be in the way. 

my photo variety has been boring lately (lots of 3/4 wide shots), but whatever. 

GWDMe6eh.jpg

w2UWDCZh.jpg

cpYAH14h.jpg

SzZ7bYch.jpg

cVFB7yuh.jpg

Rovomq1h.jpg

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped