WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

4 hours ago, snap said:

The gold will look great!  just another warning that im gonna be all up in your business checking this out at the picnic.

remember when i said you could come look at my swap to figure stuff out back in the fall?? You finished your swap faster than i could fix a coolant hose - WTF slow down already.

regardless, i'll have the manifold off and most things apart this sunday if you wanna still look.

17 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Just noticed the Warsteiner mini keg thing for an intake. That's going to be awesome! Great heat shield too

should be better than just the cone intake sitting in the engine bay, thats for sure!

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

That was my favorite detail from the sedan! 

thanks, i've always wanted to bring it back.

1 hour ago, snap said:

Can you hear your induction sound pretty well with your current setup? I was really hoping for some sweet induction noises on mine but the exhaust seems to be blocking it out so far

when i stab the gas on downshifts i can hear that 'cuff' sound of the sudden rush of air, which is fantastic. overall, though, its mostly exhaust note.

for you, i'm picturing a length of ribbed rain gutter pipe from a hole in your hood and stuck into the drivers window.  e30 'sound symposer'

things are happening!

new 'used' heater valve installed. hopefully this lasts some time before leaking. i'm going to do the diy repair to my existing leaking one to have as a backup

TsddSHP.jpg

this is the culpret to why my spider hose blew last spring. the hose on the top pipe was rubbing the bottom of the intake manifold, creating a hole. so, i bent the tube slightly before installing to get a lower angle and more clearance.

5TM0SeM.jpg

primordial ooze of coolant and residual oil

5pgNevq.jpg

powdercoated valve cover installed with new gaskets, new oil cap, new spark plugs and boots. ( i did not order enough rubber grommets, oops) thanks, rampelsauce for the great work on the PC.

uyDlY9e.jpg

spaghetti mess! that plugged small hose near the bottom center is the fuel tank vent line, which would normally go to a charcoal canister, and should not be plugged. i'm going to cut it way back and find one of those little crank case filters for it.

FEtQZ2O.jpg

extraneous hoses removed. (TB thermostat and my heater core bypass hose from last spring) I'm replacing the thermostat with a manual brass valve so i can close it up in the summer.

wQ52eGQ.jpg

new single temp coolant switch for the aux fan installed

ueN1NGN.jpg

i love new orange gaskets.

cJ4Qe1X.jpg

issues i ran into:

1. the water pump doesnt have enough room to slide out without pulling the radiator 😅 great
  2. the brand new o-ring on the dipstick tube had broken into pieces. hopefully a support bracket and some extra sealant will resolve this. it created a bit of a mess.
  3. the grommet on the throttle cable was toast. glad i caught this or i might have worn through the cable pretty quickly
  4. i cant help but clean everything, what a time suck lol

That ooze pic is pretty cool! 
Do you have a part number for that fan switch? im going to get a lower temp one ( @jc43089 you were right about this)

I hope my heater valve doesnt give up on me anytime soon. I hate removing the hvac controls and working back there. 

1 hour ago, snap said:

That ooze pic is pretty cool! 
Do you have a part number for that fan switch? im going to get a lower temp one ( @jc43089 you were right about this)

I hope my heater valve doesnt give up on me anytime soon. I hate removing the hvac controls and working back there. 

i got my fan switch on the 'bay (the ad suggests it doesn't fit late model e30 radiators, but it does.): https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e12-e21-e23-e28-e30-Auxiliary-Fan-Switch-82-FAE-temp-sender-engine-cooling/232727780291?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

the heater valve is actually really easy, except for the access to the hoses in the engine bay due to the 24v manifold. the under dash stuff takes 15 min. you should hope it doesnt give up because a new one is $250 🙄

mini write up: engine bay: disconnect the two hoses going to the heater core. interior: ebrake console off, center console off, kick panel off, pop off the hvac accordion vent, one screw for an hvac duct and you have access to the valve. for the valve, take out the two torx screws holding the heater core and slide it out just a little to give access to the (3) 8mm screws holding the valve to the core. one torx screw holding a bracket near the back of the valve's pipes and voila, its out.

more progress.

pulled the radiator to get the water pump out. old w/plastic impeller (that likes to explode) and new with metal impeller. 

jSMqXue.jpg

decided i should finally permanently mount the elec. fan, which was only held by those plastic zip tie things. it was always on the edge of falling off the car. 

vsqddqj.jpg

found a small crank case filter at o'reillys on capitol drive. there was almost a fight in the store, fun times. anyways, i reused a length of hose that had a nice 90deg bend it it.
7UNSwGP.jpg

mounted facing down and tucked in this frame pocket so water can't find its way into the system. 
tNQJzhX.jpg

i also got a quick layer of paint on the flaking/rusting brake booster, cleaned up the engine bay a little more and pulled the brake reservoir in prep for the new one. 

remote brake fluid reservoir installed. this is a 2002 res. 

YC3x4Vs.jpg

blower motor resistor installed. 
rAWky3V.jpg

these are just for future reference, since I had them off the car. (upper/lower rad hose part numbers for an e30 24v swap.)

vDa8kuw.jpg
3ukk4RF.jpg

thermostat/alum housing installed. people seem leery about the sealing at the gasket/housing casting, so for extra protection i threw in some rtv. 

cIWo9mb.jpg

I needed to get my dipstick tube to seal where it enters the oil pan. PO had it ziptied to the alternator and no rubber seal at all. I added the rubber seal last year, which didnt help - it just leaked then blew out pretty quickly.  the new bracket should do the trick. test mockup: 

oqbab5t.jpg

quick coat of paint
DESM8M5.jpg

voila.
AoXiQQG.jpg

a little extra protection above the seal:

YACcCDC.jpg

wtsKKbZ.jpg

6 hours ago, snap said:

Did you make that bracket? I still need to make one for mine.

yup. just some steel that bent into shape.

4 hours ago, jc43089 said:

The o-ring is supposed top go below the ridge.  They are a pain to install.  Oil the o-ring and put it on the dipstick and use a rubber mallet to pop it into the oil pan hole.

it is, the dipstick is upside down in that photo.

4 hours ago, snap said:

Is this for the fuel tank vent line/purge valve line?

correct. the PO had plugged it, resulting in pressure in the tank only escaping when I took off the gas cap.

engine is 95% done. just have to extend the brake fluid sensor wiring for the new location and clean a few more areas. 

manual valve to replace the throttle body thermostat. just a 1/2 brass ball valve from the plumbing aisle. 

nZ39xDL.jpg

new booster check valve and hose

4S22DmS.jpg

wrapped the engine harness and removed the covers. i hate plastic covers. i'd rather see the guts. new c101 bracket (hard to see here) 

qFymngz.jpg

well hello, ms. lady. 

TC1NBxi.jpg

teaser pic. 

hZgL6eY.jpg

8 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I have bypassed the throttle body heater for a long time on my daily e36, no problems so far.  An oil drain plug is the right size to plug the hole in the head.  M12x1.5.

good to know. if it gives me leaks in the future, ill probably ditch it entirely.

7 hours ago, snap said:

The valve cover looks so good!

thanks dude!

Thats a great feeling. I think all of us have some sort of memory of stripping, drilling, or breaking one.

Thanks for the good word on R3V today as well.

Are you planning on bedding the brakes in? To be honest I have never felt certain that ive done a bedding process correctly and I find im better off just driving the thing normally.

i've had to drill at least 1 of the 4 every time i've done this job. 

no prob.

yeah i usually do a truncated version of what they suggest. there's no where in the city to do all those 50-0-50-0 stops, so i just do a couple, then drive normal. my brain tells me it doesnt matter, i don't believe auto repair shops do that procedure before handing cars with new pads back to customers.

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped