WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

she's home! (and so it begins.)

2000+ miles in 2.5 days.

the previous owner was a piece of work, and after seeing how poorly this car was taken care of, i'm a little surprised it made it all the way home without a hitch. (well... a hubcap, a side marker, and some window trim managed to jettison along the way.)

i know you are wondering, why the hell would he drive 2000 miles to bring home an e30? hint: along the way home when I received my room key at a Holiday Inn Express and it was room 330, i had a good chuckle.

more later, its been a long day.

here's the first picture of the car right before leaving west seattle.

http://i.imgur.com/VNAraED.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WjGvw4t.jpg

ha, thanks guys.

the 'deal' was OK. i will admit paid more than what I should have, but it checked all the important boxes of what I wanted, and it was the first car after looking for 5 months that did so I jumped on it.

I didn't spend any time in seattle - there was some 'storm of the century' or something on its way so I got the hell out. I've been there a few times (and loved it) so I didn't feel like I needed to stay in the pouring rain.

here are the points why i bothered with the long trip -  s50 / coilovers / alpinweiss / late model / coupe

yu///mmy

7MK3F4F.jpg

and the trip...america is fuckin beautiful. well besides southern Minnesota, that's just stanky. Biggest take-away from the trip - Montana is amazing.

there is no particular order to these, but there are photos from  Washington, Montana, Idaho, and South Dakota.

swqbXQL.jpg

pf9MAbt.jpg

6XIpyqI.jpg

UGqkFV8.jpg

1rmZRRj.jpg

hT9AnMM.jpg

f1nUTQ3.jpg

tddXpjK.jpg

QnPb63C.jpg

gjMJzuK.jpg

0hHKJ4y.jpg

ldlFjpi.jpg

LPbQt4P.jpg

78f3olZ.jpg

I'd love to do a cross country trip in a car I love. Last time I did was in my van and in a gold mk3 jetta.....

What trans and diff combo does it have? Any power adders? Hows the handling/it must feel a bit different after piloting the touring for the last few years amirite?

has the zf310 w/2.93LSD - perfect combo. I had the zf310 w/3.25LSD in my m50 car, and it was great for that extra acceleration, but highway rpms were a bit much.

no power adders. exhaust is nice stainless headers + no cats, so it flows well but is way too loud.  engine fan and ac deleted which helps free a couple ponies.

handles like a dream even on 185 snow tires, but didn't go too crazy as I just wanted to make it home in one piece. has a z3 steering rack w/power steering as well.

thanks guys, can't wait to have it driving around.  it needs a couple things before I will be comfortable on Milwaukee streets (skid plate, quieter exhaust) but hopefully that can happen before snow hits.

the coilovers are BC. 6k/8k. it rides nice, but I need to tinker with heights, dampening, and I think it needs some shorter springs or better arrangement of all the strut components for better tire clearance (some rubbing presently with stock wheels/tires).

parts starting to roll in, and found a parts car on craigslist with a nice seller who pulled some of the small bits for me.

brand new BMW front valance, can't believe the cheap price on these things ($200)

QHoJw71.jpg

some of the random crap - most of this is actually completely missing on my car
fn0uLdU.jpg

oh, and in case you ever have the urge, yes an e30 hood will fit entirely inside the back of an e34 touring. 

also scored a non-damaged alpine rear bumper (seen barely here)
wAtzE1I.jpg

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped