WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

It was another good weekend for the car, as a good amount of work got done!

I started with the passenger side front suspension. I needed to take the strut assembly out of the previous E for this, and knew that it needed a new wheel bearing so I was prepared for that. I loosened up the "axle" nut and then pulled the assembly out. I was prepared to fight with the hub/bearing assembly to get it out but luckily since it was so bad it slid right off! The hub was able to wiggle a whole lot, and I'm impressed that it actually survived. The ball joint for the strut assembly was also toast, but that's no longer an issue! 

This is a $20 wheel bearing/ hub assembly, so we will see how long it lasts! 

IMG_20161029_152227612

Does anyone have an e90 steering rack handy? I need to measure the diameter of where the boot clamps! I want to use e90 inner tie rods for the E (due to needed length) but don't know what I will need for boots. 

Thinking of pulling parts out of the old car, I yanked the pedal box out. There is a spring in there that I have not seen before. Anyone else run into these? 
It's set up to assist with pushing the pedal down, which was also odd to me. 

IMG_20161028_223857261

Finished up the fender flare on one side, and mounted it up.

IMG_20161030_151614652

IMG_20161030_165748675

There is a small gap between the flare and the fender in one or two spots, and I think I may just leave them. The shadow in the above picture makes it look like there is a huge gap, but there isn't! 

I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and will be starting on the other side soon. 

I drilled some holes in my door handles instead of doing something that was more worthy of my time.

IMG_20161030_165738502

Dunno, I like it. The car is also super dirty as that picture shows! 

A slightly less anticipated move had me pulling out the driveshaft again, and pulling out all of the fuel lines! Pulling the tank wasn't too bad on this one actually.. I now need to make mounting for this guy.

IMG_20161030_165728366

Hmm, what else. 
Took some more stuff out of the old car and pushed it outside. Pulled the diff out of it, never the greatest job. 
Ran the fuel lines through the trans tunnel again, and made mounting for that. 

It was productive, and thinking that tomorrow is November already scares me a touch because I want this thing ready in time for snowfall!

The other e30 was a bit jealous that it hasn't gotten any love lately. Just being beat on. 

IMG_20161029_103741549

There was also some wildlife wondering what the hell I had done. 

2016-10-31_08-17-57

Got the other front flare mounted. Didn't take a picture because it's the side closest to the wall.

Cut the rear brake lines out. I was hesitant to do so, but it practically crumbled apart so it was clearly for the best.
I'm running a new hard line down the trans tunnel and using braided AN lines that don't run on the trailing arms instead of the stock configuration. 

I'm looking forward to getting this thing drive-able again!

On 10/31/2016 at 8:48 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

IMG_20161030_151614652

I couldn't get over why this picture looked so familiar and I figured it out. The basket weaves look really similar to the mesh wheels you could get on jeeps in the late 80's and early 90's and since e30's are a box just like XJ's it reminded me of this:

4293510007_large.jpg

This car is awesome. I didn't realize the door handles were metal either, those holes are pretty cool. I always thought they were just some dense plastic or something

• 3 weeks later...

I have worked on this very little lately, that or have just been doing stuff that takes a lot of time and doesn't look any different when done...

I have gotten the fuel lines ran under the car, and new lines ran where the fuel tank used to be and up into the trunk. I cut out the spare tire well and need to make a plate to cover that and provide clearance for the sump of the fuel cell. I will also be mounting the fuel pump and filter to the same area. 

I also ran the brake line for the rear of the car through the trans tunnel, and back to the factory T above the diff. I hate hard lines is what I have concluded. 

I also started slicing and dicing e90 and e36 tie rods to make something that will be long enough for the e46 control arm swap. 

I plan on getting this back on the ground and driving by the end of the holiday weekend, so there should be more updates (with pictures) soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress was creeping on this thing due to the fuel cell situation and running different fuel and brake lines. The fuel cell mounting is primarily complete and welded in, and I seam sealed it last night. Paint will follow and the tank will get mounted up. 

IMG_20161204_155241775

I got the rear brake lines roughly were I want them, and shall adjust later if needed. 

IMG_20161122_194602535

IMG_20161122_194614814

I'm a bit sad that it missed out on the first snowfall, but I made plenty of progress and it shall be ready for the next! 

I finally got this thing running on the new fuel setup. 

I had struggled 2 days ago to get it going, the pump would run intermittently and it would never fire. I verified fuel line orientation and that there was fuel flow, but no firing. I didn't have a ton of time to work on it so I had to leave it until the next day. Overnight I was trying to think of all of the things I did to it so I could go through and figure out why it wasn't running after swapping the fuel system as it had ran before. 

I realized that I had swapped the gauge cluster. I figured that's all it could be and I put the one that was original to the chassis back in the car and it started immediately. Nifty. 
Runs with a slight miss, as always! 

Brakes still suck. I believe it is air in the lines, and it must be in the front lines. The pedal goes pretty far before anything happens, and if I pump the pedal I get reasonable pedal feel for a second or two. Is that a bad booster? I haven't had to trouble shoot brakes before! 

New front suspension feels very good, and handles bumps much better than the last car!

Having a full interior lifted e30 is odd, it's so quiet now.....

Next step, New front bumper and skid plate! 

Did you swap the modules from the original cluster to the new one when you switched? Weird that would keep it from starting. Brakes wise Sams car did that and it ended up just being a lot of air that needed to be bled. I have a spare booster if you need one. 

7 minutes ago, Earl said:

Did you swap the modules from the original cluster to the new one when you switched? Weird that would keep it from starting. Brakes wise Sams car did that and it ended up just being a lot of air that needed to be bled. I have a spare booster if you need one. 

It was a moto to VDO cluster, so I wasn't sure if it would work anyway. Not sure what module you are speaking of, coding plug?

I shall have to bleed the fronts, and I did keep the booster from the last lifted car so I do have a spare if need be. Thanks for the offer though! 

So it seems like the passenger front caliper is either seized, or there is still a ton of air in the line. The pedal is feeling okay, but in snow the car pulls hard left under braking. I shall try to bleed that side again. 
Took it out for the first time, and went to get gas. Filling up a car from the trunk is a very amusing thing to do.

Stopped in some snow and took a pic. 

IMG_20161212_164823210_HDR

I threw the old bumper on for the time being, just so it had something up front. I also wired up the lights because they are quite bright and convenient to have!

IMG_20161212_163355769_HDR

received_10211553961543838

Did a touch of "ditch" banging with sir Spence that night as well, which is always amusing. 

We are scheduled to get a lot of snow this weekend, so last night I started building an actual exhaust for it in hopes of having it "street legal" for the weekend. 

I also need to get started on the new skidplate, but my indecision of frame lifting is making me hesitant on that. 

This has been my scattered thoughts. 

IMG_20161212_165700699_HDR