Jump to content
WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Recommended Posts

in the two heater valves i've opened up, it was the seal between top and bottom that had disintegrated. considering this seal is not a part you can buy separate, and it's a really strange size, i wasn't able to fix them. i figured maybe i'd buy a sheet of rubber and cut my own, but i gave in and bought a 3rd used unit instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

in the two heater valves i've opened up, it was the seal between top and bottom that had disintegrated. considering this seal is not a part you can buy separate, and it's a really strange size, i wasn't able to fix them. i figured maybe i'd buy a sheet of rubber and cut my own, but i gave in and bought a 3rd used unit instead.

This is good to know, as I was wondering what to do if it continues leaking. 
There was a bit of buildup on the seal so I cleaned that all off, maybe that was the problem all along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

IMG_20180904_174209

 

Did you inspect the green o-ring on this pipe? I had a dribble coming from mine and fixed it with a new o-ring. I think they shrink over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Did you inspect the green o-ring on this pipe? I had a dribble coming from mine and fixed it with a new o-ring. I think they shrink over time.

I had replaced all the o rings when I did the heater core, but I will be watching the o rings closely this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I had replaced all the o rings when I did the heater core, but I will be watching the o rings closely this time. 

This  might sound dumb, and I would assume you already know, but be careful on what o-rings you use where. There are different materials and they all degrade at different rates as they are made for different applications.

  • Buna-N O-Rings
  • Nitrile O-Rings
  • Viton O-Rings
  • Neoprene O-Rings
  • Polyurethane O-Rings
  • Silicone O-Rings

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/hardware/o-rings-material-makeup

If its not an OEM ring, it might not be rated to hold the seal as well or as long as one might think. Ask me how I know. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Thank you for the awesome link!
Just yesterday I was at HF looking at various assortments of things and I realized I didn't know what materials are good for what application of O-rings. 

In the case of my heater core I ordered OEM o rings, so I would hope they use the correct material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×