WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

11 hours ago, dealindave said:

Speaking of off road, one of our local photo-pros was out in the Appalachians with a group of "rally" 911s. I'd like to get a group of bro-venture E30s together to conquer the TWAT. From what I've read, Wisconsin's TWAT is majestic.

This sounds like a good time. I have a Moto Guzzi 850T that hasn't been run in a few years. I'd be willing to give it a refresh, throw some knobbies on it, and be down for some fun.

Pic from ages ago... She's a little rougher now, but still eager for some action.

guzzi_zps8ed53f65.jpg

I replaced two more seals last night. One of which was the big player in the game, and had me sweating while doing it.

IMG_20180530_181438

I pulled the back of the pump off, which drops springs into the pump and you get to fish them out, and put them into the back of the pump with grease to keep them in. 
I replaced the o ring on the sensor pictured above as well. 

IMG_20180530_181905

New seal in place. Putting it back together gives you great fear that you will snap the one part of the pump that does the pumping, so that was pretty neat. 

Aaaannnd back together again.

IMG_20180530_191836

I got some work done on my face this weekend after having a pretty good spill on the mountain bike this weekend. Was going about 15-20mph through the woods and went over a 10ft gap jump and I'm pretty sure I overshot it and met some trees, but that's all I know. Crawled off the trail and found quite the hole in my lip, and went off to the ER. 5 stitches on the inside, 1 on the outside. Obligatory ER pic.

IMG_20180527_193907

I managed to avoid a concussion which was nice! 

I may get around to a bit more on this motor this weekend, and may even get it running next week. Who knows at this point lol.

Oh, I also got new glow plugs. Hot.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Whistler bike park?? I've skied there but would love to get out there on a bike, such a beautiful place 

Yeah, we rode the bike park for 3 days then headed to Squamish for a hike and a day on their trails 
Unbelievable trails. 
I'll post up a video when my friend gets them edited and uploaded. 

37 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Yeah, we rode the bike park for 3 days then headed to Squamish for a hike and a day on their trails 
Unbelievable trails. 
I'll post up a video when my friend gets them edited and uploaded. 

Your snapchat looked incredible. Cant wait to see video!

• 3 weeks later...

I also feel like an idiot. 
Got the motor in the car a week or so ago and finally was getting around to getting things buttoned up. Got it to the point where I was ready to start getting the air out of the fuel system and I bumped the starter to make sure everything was ready to go. Starter just spun. 
I thought for a second, then remembered that in an attempt to get my tach to work I put the E flywheel back on the motor, which uses a 228mm clutch, whereas the previous setup in there had been a 240mm. I'm assuming the starter ring gear is smaller and I got used to the 24v life where you could just play "swap the starter". 
The diesel starter is much different than the gas starter, so I'm thinking I need to pull the flywheel and crap off. 
Not stoked.

IMG_20180715_174049

Ring gear diameter reference for sanity check

IMG_20180715_172831

Now more confused than before.
Collin measured his starter ring gear diameter on an M20 flywheel at a solid 11.5"
This means the m21 starter plate is actually smaller? Going to measure the E46 flywheel and see if it's the same. 
May end up just pulling the starter and making sure it is functioning correctly before taking things too far apart again.  

On 7/17/2018 at 7:30 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

Now more confused than before.
Collin measured his starter ring gear diameter on an M20 flywheel at a solid 11.5"
This means the m21 starter plate is actually smaller? Going to measure the E46 flywheel and see if it's the same. 
May end up just pulling the starter and making sure it is functioning correctly before taking things too far apart again.  

I bet the diesel starter is a lot different as it would need more torque to turn a higher compression diesel motor? I have had two starters in two different vehicles die in the last two months.

I actually got a bit of time to work on this Sunday. 

I realized the M21 starter uses a larger diameter gear on the starter so I took a gas starter apart and the spare diesel starter apart in attempt to swap gears / heads but upon removal I found that the diesel starter uses a planetary gear reduction on the 3hp starter motor, whereas the 1hp gas starter motor is direct drive. Impressive stuff. 

I measured the E46 flywheel (that I had been using before) and found the starter ring gear diameter to be the same as the M21 ring gear. It seems odd that they used the ever slightly smaller ring gear diameter for the gas e46, but I guess it works. 

So I started prepping the motor to come back out so I can switch the flywheel/clutch back over to the e46 stuff. 
Guess I won't have a tach in the way I thought I would.