WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Cycling the glow plugs (it's on a switch, may as well just leave em on longer) seemed to help, but it wasn't super cold. So we shall see if that continues to be useful.

Got the wastegate bolted on. Which really sucked, there is very little room to put hands, let alone wrenches and the like.

IMG_20181212_203332

And I must say....

Holy shit, major change. Didn't expect it to be so noticeable. 
With the internal gate you would get up to boost pressure, then it would feel like it was getting choked out (all torque no HP) and wouldn't feel strong up top. 
That has changed greatly, it builds boost like it used to but once it gets up on the wastegate it just pulls until limiter without the feeling that it's being choked out. 
10/10 best mod yet. Thing scoots real good, and once I get the intercooler in I will be adding more fuel and that means we get to go even faster. 

Side note; open wastegates sound real odd on a diesel. It almost sounds like a big vacuum leak when it opens up. 
Side side note; $60 wastegates are complete crap. 

• 1 month later...

This thing has pretty much just sitting lately.  It started leaking diesel again and the wastegate stopped working (no surprise for a $60 gate). 

I decided that I needed to test the new pump, and wanted to use the new injectors that I had in this engine. The ones in it were starting to seep, so I started by replacing just the injectors to ensure that those were functioning properly. Changing these things is a fair bit of work, and always involves a breaker bar with many feet of extensions. 
It looks like it's got 12 cylinders!

IMG_20190208_213002IMG_20190209_124423

Cleaned up the mounting surface and threads in the block and put the new ones in.

IMG_20190209_164351

They had previously been used so bleeding them was a very short affair, along with actually knowing what I'm doing with them. 
She fired up pretty quick and it took a second to push the rest of the air out of the lines and it sat and idled quite nicely. 

These injectors made a significant difference in the running of the motor, it is much smoother and seems quieter than before. I was running with the intake manifold off (always weird) so I didn't see how it drove, but I would imagine it's better than before. 

Now the plan is to swap the fuel pump to the new one to see if it works, or if that pump has issues. Hoping it works, as I will then have new injectors, a new pump, and a healthy motor. 

The saga continues...

Things seemed good with the new injectors in so I got to swapping pumps with the rebuilt and twice tested (being told both times it was fine) unit. 
Frankly it's not that fun of a task, but it could be worse I guess. 
Remove all fuel lines (again) instead of just kind of smashing them out of the way, and then the pump comes out with a handful of bolts, nuts, and the removal of the timing belt and pump gear.

IMG_20190215_180308

Did the timing thing again, which involves a dial indicator, it's kind of an interesting process. 

IMG_20190216_115131

I then played "bleed the lines" for a bit and attempted to start it. Surprisingly it started up pretty quick and didn't smoke too much. 
First thing I noticed; it's loud. Too loud. I also realized it was hazing black the whole time at idle, and idling very low. 

I took it out for a drive the next day and found things to be... wrong? 
Something about the firing / injectors is super loud, and it has no power. I killed it by simply trying to back out of a tiny spot of snow, whereas before I could idle it in 4th gear and it would be fine. Letting off the throttle while driving causes the motor to go silent, and sometimes accelerating (or trying to) causes motor silence as well. 

Plan is to check the timing once again, try more fuel on the global fuel screw, and if none of that works I call it quits on this pump. 

IMG_20190216_130515

Oofta. Realizations are harsh.

Went to re-time the pump and noticed that the timing belt tensioner seemed to be in an odd spot. Grabbed the belt and realized that the tensioner hadn't been tight enough and slipped, relieving all tension on the belt. Super sketchy. 

I re-timed the motor again and ensured the belt tensioner was nice and snug. 
Firing it up resulted in a quieter motor (well, still loud, but quiet when considering it's diesel) but still got black haze at idle. The throttle response is better, and I backed it out and didn't have to touch the gas, so clearly things are better already.
Driving was a bit of a different story, still feels like very little power down low, but once it gets up on the turbo things feel very good and it looses traction immediately. It's odd though because I couldn't get enough power down low to whip a 180° turn in a round thing. 

Things to do: Mess with the pre-booooooost fuel screw, I was driving in the dark so I couldn't see if the exhaust was hazing at WOT before boost (how it should be) 
Mess with the global fuel screw, this will affect idle (more fuel = more idle rpm) and see if that helps things in the low end.
Aaaand the one I don't want to think about, check to make sure I didn't bend a valve. (about $50 a piece if I don't scavenge parts from my other motor) 

I do recall the shop telling me that the supply pump in the fuel pump was a bit lower than spec for feed and pressure (yes there is a pump in the pump, pumpception?) so I may get weird and try a "lift pump" inline with the feed to attempt to relieve that issue, and I'm sure that also helps with power along the way regardless.  

She's back in action.
Added some pre-boost fuel, and added a touch more on the general fuel screw. Idle smoothed out a bit and oddly enough the black idle haze calmed down a touch. 
Took it out for a quick spin and she's back to normal operations in terms of power, moving quickly and being responsive to throttle input is always nice. 

As a celebration for making it work correctly, I took it back apart. 
Before the meet I made it to last year I did something with the thermostat housing (replaced the thermostat maybe?) and found some sketchy stuff going on there. 
There are two "blocks" that get sandwiched against the head, and held with three bolts, for the water pump pass through, and the thermostat housing. 1 bolt was snapped, one was stripped, and the other felt weird. 

Took it apart to find exactly what I expected. Broken bolt, two stripped bolt holes, and RTV black on absolutely everything. 

IMG_20190223_125333

IMG_20190223_125318

This did require removing the timing belt once again, so I will get the chance to really perfect timing these motors / pumps....

Bolt ended up getting drilled out, and a helicoil put in place, which I did with the other two holes as well. I didn't reassemble anything yet as I was contemplating between ordering proper gaskets or just using RTV red on the whole assy. 

I also finally got my lower 324TD radiator hose from Latvia, which took forever to get.
Replacing my hose "solution" is nice.
Also shown is the fuel filter bracket from the E28, I am going to see if I can fit that to the E30 chassis. 

IMG_20190223_123500

Fun fun fun!

Last night involved cleaning gasket maker off the head and coolant parts, painting some stuff, and staring at the front of the car. 
I did have to use the MAP torch to get the lock for the shop door to thaw out, which was cool.

Ordered stuff to pipe the intercooler in (finally) which cost way more than expected. 
I gotta bring my charge temps down as much as possible though, so it's a well needed setup.

Speaking of regret, the water pump without a gasket (RTV instead) didn't work so well. Leaks pretty good, so I ordered a pair of every gasket (gotta put the other motor back together) 
I also resealed the pump that had been on this motor, so now I've got two fully functional pumps, which is a novel thing.

I did paint some more stuff, which I think looks nice.

IMG_20190303_163452

Front timing cover is in the works, just waiting on some parts to show up for it. 

Mocked up some intercooler piping, trying to decide if I want to modify an intake, or run some different hose couplings.

IMG_20190303_171453

Hoping the gaskets get in before the weekend, but we shall see!

• 4 weeks later...

This thing has been a pain lately. 
Realized the belt tensioner screw was half stripped the other day and that was why the belt kept drifting. 
I'm still getting black smoke at idle and grey smoke on accel. Very loud at idle. 

Gonna try re-timing it once more, and if that doesn't change anything, the compression tester of doom will be rented to check the motor itself. 

WEEEEEEE
I'm sick of issues on this motor 

• 2 weeks later...

I stood true to my word, but have been on the road for work and not updated!

The pump swap was successful, and I have concluded that I am done monkeying about with the "rebuilt" pump that I had bought, which is sad due to the amount that I have invested in it, but I gotta cut my losses. 

I am now attempting to leave it alone in terms of power, and just work on improving things. Like a better intake, and adding an intercooler to the stock intake location.

I'd love to make it to the picnic, and have passed the sign on to @HipMF!

Took the power steering fluid res out as it was seeping fluid from somewhere. 
I had a spare M20 res. and hoses, but the one that runs to the rack doesn't fit anymore because I lowered the subframe and left the motor high. 

The one hose I took off had a barbed fitting on the rack, so I will be getting some new hose and just using that again. 

I also sold my spare motor (bare), a few extra injectors, and the problematic pump.